Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anybody pndered a poor man's cold air intake for the unblown masses???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,806 Likes on 1,714 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter R.
Liquids like H2O, being sort of kind of incompressible, may have a somewhat detrimental effect
I agree. That's why I own an aircooled.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:17 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in my (much) younger years, working as a gas station mechanic, we used to use a spray bottle to mist an open carb on grandma's buick to blow the carbon out... vrooomm.... cough cough cough... *black smoke* cough cough...
All part of the overall tune up. lol
Old 08-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's why an engine that is 'running' when suddenly introduced to water, as in submersion, will instantly bend the rods on the compression stroke as it instantly stops. NOw I'm getting out...
Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
That's why an engine that is 'running' when suddenly introduced to water, as in submersion, will instantly bend the rods on the compression stroke as it instantly stops. NOw I'm getting out...
Poor grandma... kept driving and never knew she had "bent rods"...

Yes, it is a matter of volume Marlon. A mist will not do damage... though there are many variables to consider.
A more immediate concern would be chunks of built up carbon breaking loose and damaging valve seats or pistons. You only get build up like that with very sedate driving over a long period of time.

If you stick a garden hose in the intake, yeah, you might have a problem.
Have a nice day.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Ditto...
Old 08-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oy
Old 08-07-2007, 02:23 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

How water injection works
Old 08-07-2007, 03:09 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
If you stick a garden hose in the intake, yeah, you might have a problem.
Have a nice day.
Funny, but true story -- Years ago, a good friend owned a towing company and subsequent tow 'yard.' In this 'yard' were cars of many states of condition, mostly crashed. There were a few 'burners' as we called them, one being a 911 SC that caught fire.

Anyhow, some cars still ran, but were never claimed. So, we got to blow 'em up Most of these cars were worn out, nice a loose. So just dropping a brick on the throttle wouldnt do it, believe it or not. They would just ring away at the edge of valve float (these were cars before fuel injection and rev limiters).

One day we got the bright idea of trying to hydrolock one of these suckers. A Honda accord, older model. Got the engine running at full song, nice and hot -- then stuck a garden hose down its throat and turned on the water.... All it did was drown the engine and kill it -- no hydrolock

We figured it was atomizing the water faster than it was taking it in. We pulled the plugs and pumped the hot water out. Plugs back in, fired it up and tried it again. No luck in blowing this thing up with the garden hose

In the end, we gave up and resorted to what we always had to do, drain the damn oil and let her seize..
Old 08-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Mabye the Navy SEALS can use the Honda for underwater attack mission propulsion
Old 08-07-2007, 03:55 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I'm not sure how this snorkle would work on the Turbo...
It allows the engine to pull air in from above the intercooler rather than through the it.

The big issue is "Does the Porshce p/n snorkle actually 'choke' the cold air flow with a 993 automated spoiler set up"?
With an automated spoiler I don't think the snorkel will fit?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
It allows the engine to pull air in from above the intercooler rather than through the it.

With an automated spoiler I don't think the snorkel will fit?

Yes - it is too tall to fit under the contour of the deck lid, but I am going to mod the snorkel anyway. Widen it as much as feasible while it is being 'shortened'. This would be an easily reversible mod, since the existing air box snorkel inlet just unsnaps from the main air box lid. If it does not work, snap the original part back into the air box lid.

BTW: I would 'think' that with an intact air box there should be plenty of dwell air for the engine to never be 'choked' for sufficient air volume even if the snorkel does introduce a 90 deg bend in the path. If this snorkel was designed for a heavy breathing engine to begin with, how is it that a lighter breathing, naturally aspirated engine be 'choked' by it???

I f I can come up with a workable and simple design, the next step would be to dyno it to prove it works (pipe dream). If it works, have a mom & pop plastics company make one or two (two pipe dreams).

I ordered a snorkel from Sunset for 42 bucks - last one in stock.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:46 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Take it one step further - go to Home Depot and pick up a length of 4" diameter aluminum dryer venting. Form it around the snorkle end and then gently arc and stretch the hose until it terminates at the top edge of the windshield. Attach the hose to the roof by whatever means you feel appropriate and go drive. True ram air!

Andreas

Last edited by AOW162435; 08-07-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Cool- I like it - I love it - I want-more-of-it, but I think the RUF GT-whatever has already captured that design though
Old 08-07-2007, 04:55 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

...I f I can come up with a workable and simple design, the next step would be to dyno it to prove it works (pipe dream). If it works, have a mom & pop plastics company make one or two (two pipe dreams).
You really can't use a dyno to prove whether or not an airbox mod like this will work. You need to do some data logged runs at speed under controlled conditions and measure real power output via acceleration. A dyno just won't do for this purpose, sayeth people smarter than me.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:58 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Marlon,

I have that snorkel on my car with the regular deck lid. The spoiler gear/sprocket mechanism interferes with the snorkel. You have to trim away about half the snorkel in order for it to fit.

I can take a pic of what i had to do to mine to make it fit.

Quick Reply: Anybody pndered a poor man's cold air intake for the unblown masses???