Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Bridgestone RE050A / RE-01A: Mileage expectations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridgestone RE050A / RE-01A: Mileage expectations?

Both tires are rated a 140AA UTQG rating from Bridgestone, which is basically meaningless to me compared to other brands.

Perhaps a question for our resident TireRack.com representative, but how many miles can I expect to get from these tires given normal, periodically spirited, yet entirely street driving?

My most recent pair of Assymetricco's simply did not offer enough miles for the money. Looking for a relative cost per mile opinion here.

Thanks for any responses and experience!
Old 08-06-2007, 01:43 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Members are more responsive to other members questions.
Pay your long overdue Rennlist dues and you will be suprised how many replies you will get.

Originally Posted by Randy 1
Both tires are rated a 140AA UTQG rating from Bridgestone, which is basically meaningless to me compared to other brands.

Perhaps a question for our resident TireRack.com representative, but how many miles can I expect to get from these tires given normal, periodically spirited, yet entirely street driving?

My most recent pair of Assymetricco's simply did not offer enough miles for the money. Looking for a relative cost per mile opinion here.

Thanks for any responses and experience!
Old 08-06-2007, 03:45 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

In general, buying tires with less than 200 treadwear from any manufacturer means that you should expect less than 10k miles. In a 993, with a heavy foot, you might get as little as half that from the rears.

And soliciting testimonials is pretty pointless, since there are too many variables.

For more mileage, look towards the many excellent--but not bleeding edge--performance tires like Bridgestone's RE750.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does anyone think about BFGoodrich g-force KDW2's for tread-wear and performance? My car is eating rear tires (I know it's normal).
Old 08-06-2007, 06:08 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've put over 13k on my Bridgestone S02As, which have the same UTQG mileage rating at you quoted. Rears will need to be replaced soon (not quite down to the wear bars), fronts are probably around 50%.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Originally Posted by air eater
Members are more responsive to other members questions.
Pay your long overdue Rennlist dues and you will be suprised how many replies you will get.
Jesus Christ, what is it about this particular board that engenders near constant harassment of users that haven't purchased a membership? Per this post, I think the owners of the site have made their opinion on how this board should run PAINFULLY clear, yet you and a select few don't seem to get it.

Set aside the fact that I'm purchasing $900 of tires through their TireRack affiliate ad up above. Are you really that self-important that you felt it neccesary to attempt to hijack a perfectly innocuous question? Really, a PM wouldn't have been just as effective?

And if you're seriously checking the member status before moving your mouse over the "reply" button, that's a sad commentary on you.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Originally Posted by brucec59
I've put over 13k on my Bridgestone S02As, which have the same UTQG mileage rating at you quoted. Rears will need to be replaced soon (not quite down to the wear bars), fronts are probably around 50%.
Very, very helpful. Thanks for the response, both you and RallyJon. Insightful as always.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmm My rear S02s I can watch getting thinner daily. What part of the alignment being off would cause the rears to be eaten so much faster on mine? They are wearing fairly evenly- just so fast in the back, they will be gone in way less than 10k miles.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I , too, have s-02as with a 140 treadwear rating. I got about 4500 miles on the rear, but that is mixed track/street use with an aggressive alignment. Great tire, by the way.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK Don, that makes sense then, I thought something was way off with my car. I don't track the car but drive fairly aggressively.

Funny how everything is OK as long as it is happening to other people too
Old 08-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Andrew, have you had the alignment checked? Too much negative camber and/or toe kills tread life.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah Don, I thought that may be my issue. They are wearing so fast, and it is my daily driver. They literally have worn so fast and I beacause have been so busy lately, I haven't had time to take it to the shop. The tires came with some wheels I bought so they didn't really cost me anything, I was thinking about taking the car down to Jae at Mirage International in San Diego. Because I want someone who really knows the 993 rear suspension to work on it, but in my hesitation I have burned a lot of rubber. Anyone know of anyone really good in the LA area? It's something I have to deal with soon.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:27 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i've run the KDW2, the RE-050A PP, and currently, the RE-01R. the KDW2's don't last at all even though they have a treadwear rating of 300. the RE 050A PP lasts a LOT longer than its treadwear would indicate. i go to the track about every five or six weeks and drive the car daily, too. the KDW2's lasted about 3K miles in back and 8K up front. the RE-050A lasted about 7K miles in back. the jury is still out on the RE-01R, but with one LONG track day and about three months of street driving, they're about 20% worn. FYI, the RE-01R isn't THAT much better than the RE-050A. also, for what it's worth, i'm actually able to get better grip / lap times out of the KDW2. go figure.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone RE050A / RE-01A: Mileage expectations?