Timing cover torque

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:59 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing cover torque

Ive been searching for 45 minutes, some great information but I haven't found the torque specs for the timing cover bolts. I want to try replacing the little soft washers to see if that will clean up my leaks in the area before I go any further. Anybody have these handy?

TIA
Old 08-04-2007, 09:34 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi Andrew,

You mean the "valve covers"? If so.....

I torque them to 3 foot pounds - then go back re-torque to 6 foot pounds. Why 6 foot pounds? Using the method described on Robin's EXCELLENT site (http://p-car.com/) - 6 foot pounds is just about what I get. I use the torque wrench to try to get them all the same. However - I don't think it's critical to use a torque wrench for them - I'm just "that way"..

If you mean the timing chain covers - I have that somewhere, but they should only be about 6 foot pounds, as I recall?? I'll try to find the exact specs for them....

Hope this helps!

John
Old 08-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I replaced the two lowest cup washers in the LR timing chain cover - which nicely stopped the slight oil leak: I just tightened them until the steel insert ( around the stud) made firm contact on both ends.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:38 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
.... I just tightened them until the steel insert ( around the stud) made firm contact on both ends.
Garth is right on - most folks do it by "feel".. However - I did find it - and it's 6' lbs. I didn't find it in either the 964 or 993 Workshop Manuals - but rather the 911 Carrera Workshop Manual. It's the only reference I could find to ANY torque values on these - including my original 911 manual (Vol 1) and later years. Since these are paper based (originals) - I can't search a PDF file for them - I have to use my eyes to do my "searching", which aren't great - but, they still work (sort of )..

HTH!

JD
Old 08-04-2007, 11:55 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hmmm, I thought it was 7 (as tought by Gerry Woods). One foot pound is nothing anyways!

The problem with these low torques is that you have to have a very good low torque wrench (I have one for 1-35 and another from 20-200, both calibrated often). You should also excercise the wrench first (i.e. use it on a nut that is tighter so the wrench detects the torque a few times).

When I took Gerry Wood's engine rebuilding class (excellent by the way!) the told us, that in the case where you can't get a torque wrench in, use your pinky to hold the wrench. He figures your pinky is more sensitive and able to judge the tightness.

I often just go by feel, I have done enough of them and some using the torque wrench so my "torqu-o-meter" in my arm seems to work pretty good. No leaks yet on all the cars that I have done (knock on wood).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,

Do you mean "white", "red" and "blue" torque measured by the color of the mechanic's face??

Re the valve covers... lightly does it!
Old 08-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

...unless you have a really good summer tan then its brown, red and blue....

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Timing cover torque