Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heretic: keep my car stock!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:31 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmm - keep it simple for now until you sort out what you want to do. I've been watching this forum now for about 3 - 4 weeks and am starting - beginning - to get a grasp of these machines, even after owning 4 previous 911's. Foa all it's simplicity, the 993 is really a sophisticated machine and should be approached with a sound technical understanding and appreciation of it's pedigree. My car is totally unmodded - stock shocks, springs, etc. and on the street it has waaay more capability than I can fully appreciate. Put in another way, I would be bringing much more undesired attention to myself trying to press my 993 functional envelope during street driving than I care to. I also think that with 'stock' shocks and the wheel/tire combo on it now, I would have a blast at any run of the mill AutoX. Track would be different story all together. With your TT accelleration and already beefier suspension + a good set of tires I think you would be more than capable of exceeding any 'funmeter' quotient on the street. It will mainly come down to appearance issues.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Peter R.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A bone stock well upkept TT will keep and fetch it's price, and is sellable to any enthusiast.

A modded one, no matter how tastefully done, has a smaller target audience. In fact, it may be a turn off to anybody that's not really knowlegable about them.
Let me compare it to a Land Rover Defender. A bone stock one, no matte how much abused, will almost always fetch a better price than a modded one, because potential buyers can never be persuaded that with all it's diff guards, snorkels, lifted springs and shocks and mud tires, it was never used offroad. Even if it was a poser car.

Peter R.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:47 AM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 195 Posts

I am a stock nut, always have been on all my cars. My 79 T/A has original 8 track with original GM speakers:

My 93 had upgrades but all were Porsche. I put in a CDR220 and three spoke 996 wheel and shifter. Thats about as far as I will go.

When I bought my 98, I liked the fact that it was bone stock. Mods are great but without the first hand knowledge of who, what , when and how, I look for stock on a used car purchase.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Dave Crellin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No heresy here. Stock definately commands a higher resale value. I wouldn't touch a modded car, as you just never know....

I have lots of options on my C4 (turbo rims, aluminum interior, sport seats), but all factory fitted
Old 08-07-2007, 02:40 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Crellin
I wouldn't touch a modded car, as you just never know....
I would ABSOLUTELY buy a modded car. If it had records, and the mods were done by someone reputable. There are a lot of great mods that improve many things about a 993....LWF, suspension,exhaust, etc, just to name a few.
But hey, that's just me...........
Old 08-07-2007, 03:08 PM
allill
Drifting

Most mods done by us nuts on this forum are easily reversible (except for mine). Suspension is a bolt on mod, wheels are bolt on, steering wheels & ***** are bolt on, exhaust is bolt on, bumpers bolt on, lights bolt on, LWF & clutch are maintenance items, stereo decks slide in with screw in replacement speakers.... Catch my drift? You can mod your car and still take it back to oem at anytime. With some of the mods I have done, I can't reverse my car back to stock but don't care to anyway. Just like Darin said, as long as the car has records, it's all good & mine does. Photos of just about every step and mod done. I didn't get photos last night (LPMM), but that's all on record here on Rennlist anyway.

Marlon, stock is all good but don't be afraid to do things to the car that are easily reversible. Bolt on mods are like floor mats, you can change them anytime.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Marlon, stock is all good but don't be afraid to do things to the car that are easily reversible. Bolt on mods are like floor mats, you can change them anytime.[/QUOTE]

I am actually considering the LPMM mod now.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:34 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

I have no doubt the mod car in question (Scott Mellor's "Frank") is a fantastic car, and would outperform any stock car.

I am attracted to the notion of seeing what Stuttgart/Zuffenhausen has done in a 993TT as a first personal foray into Porsche ownership, and then mod it myself.

My dilemma is also based on the price differential (justified in the mod car, I think, since it's modded to the hilt) of $18,000 between the mod and the stock cars in my consideration.

Now, if I were to go stock, what can I do with my $18,000, that would put my personal touch on a stock TT if I so desire? IF I had my way, would I ever spend more than $18,000 to mod a stock 993TT? Am I really THAT good of a driver and user of the 993TT that I would mod it above and beyond $18,000 on my own? That's the theme of my other thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turbo-forum/369567-how-would-you-prefer-to-mod-a-stock-993tt.html

My idea of mods is probably mostly along the line of options available in the car's model year from factory, with some key aftermarket additions like cat bypasses and suspension lowering/upgrades. Scott's has all of those, plus it goes far into the guts of the car with engine performance mods.

Another question is how much premium to add to the price to account for the mods? obviously if all the existing mods are exactly what I would want, Scott's price would make his car a steal at $70,000.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:26 PM
quasr
Racer

Default Stock Stereo Upgrade

I recently upgraded from a CR-1 (AM/FM, cassette) to a CDR-220 (AM/FM CD). My 993 has the Hi-Fi stereo upgrade with the amp under the passengers seat for the CR-1. I had a stereo shop wire in the amp to the CDR-220 and the system sounds incredible. With the added power of the CDR-220 combined with the amp, nothing more is needed. Stock is great but so is not having to pull over to change CD's. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2007, 11:42 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allill
Most mods done by us nuts on this forum are easily reversible (except for mine). Suspension is a bolt on mod, wheels are bolt on, steering wheels & ***** are bolt on, exhaust is bolt on, bumpers bolt on, lights bolt on, LWF & clutch are maintenance items, stereo decks slide in with screw in replacement speakers.... Catch my drift? You can mod your car and still take it back to oem at anytime.
Exactly.... I just finsihed unravelling a couple of changes I had made to my 964 today. No big deal at all. I did it mainly to make it more saleable. Appeal to a wider market... etc.
just about anything we do can be unbolted and undone. It's just a matter of time and effort. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=35947

and by the way Jeff, your choice in "mod" was a good one, IMO. A widebody cab is a beautiful thing. And Midnight Blue Met....
Old 08-11-2007, 11:42 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 993_Pilot
I am of the school of thought that, "even the best design can be improved upon", but if it makes you happy in stock trim, then so be it. Mods may not add much value, but neither will they subtract much, if they are tastefully done. If you have the space, you could always limit yourself to easily reversible mods and save the OEM parts. Life is short, so do what ever makes you happy!
My .02: if you're going to mod, remove the mods before you sell the car. The next buyer can pay extra if they want the mods or you can sell them separately.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:53 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

If you are considering mods to a 993 TT, you need look no further than Air Kuul TT, and ATAN888, Tony and Alvin respectively. Their cars are impeccable. Probably 2 of the finest TT's in the nation.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:56 PM
allill
Drifting

Originally Posted by MarkD
...and by the way Jeff, your choice in "mod" was a good one, IMO. A widebody cab is a beautiful thing. And Midnight Blue Met....

Thanks Mark, my car makes me smile everytime I see it.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:40 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 439 Posts

Marlon, I like your car and your concept of keeping it bone stock. I thought the same thing when I bought mine. I lived that concept for a year or so... till I heard about and saw the C4S door sills to replace the boring black plastic ones. Then I heard about HID's and realized my car's lights at night were awful. Had to have the HID's and they're the best thing I did for my 993.

Also did the aluminum pedals and love them. And the 996 GT3 steering wheel. And the alum shifter and emerg brake, but I would never change the lovely stock wheels. I'm not a fan of 996 wheels on a 993 either so I understand in theory your stock idea.

Love to meet you sometime. We live very close, and my Porsche shop is in Fairfax.

Steve R
Old 08-12-2007, 01:50 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
....my Porsche shop is in Fairfax.
How about the one in Ellicott City?

Andreas

Quick Reply: Heretic: keep my car stock!?