Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

LPMM's- FisterD is the way to go.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:00 PM
pchansen1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LPMM's- FisterD is the way to go.

If anyone out there is looking for somebody to fab the LPMM muffler mod, you needn't look any farther than our own FisterD. I contacted him via PM, and a day later, my cans were on there way to N. California for the LPMM mod. The turn-around was less than a week and the results were absolutely fantastic! I went with the 2" pipe and love the sound. Not too loud from the driver's seat but wonderful from the rear. I now find myself driving with my windows open looking for an area that will reflect the sound back into the cockpit! Workmanship was first class. I highly recommend this mod by FisterD.

Thanks again Darin!

Paul Hansen
'95 Carrera
LPMM's by FisterD
Old 08-02-2007, 03:04 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Paul,
Do you have any pics showing the welds, etc.?

Andreas
Old 08-02-2007, 03:54 PM
MDamen
Pro

Do you send him the mufflers and the stainless pipe or just the mufflers? I assume you also contacted him ahead of time so he knew they were coming? I've been contemplating going with this mod, just not sure where to get it done. Maybe FisterD is the way to go.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:34 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 406 Posts

I had mine done at an independant muffler shop. Kinda down-and-dirty: cutting torch to open up somewhat less than a 2" hole on the pre-marked spots of the existing pipes, a couple of appropriate length 2" aluminized pipe from their stock with ends shaped a bit, then weld. Less than an hour and $50 to do both mufflers. It's not an art piece, but looks OK. You're not going to see any of it, anyway, unless you're crawling around under the car looking for it.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:09 PM
pguy
Instructor

+ 1 for Darin aka. FisterD. Since I am local to him, I just brought the mufflers to his shop. An hour later, it's done. Been extremely happy with the mod since then....

-Dung

Last edited by pguy; 08-03-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:49 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
I had mine done at an independant muffler shop. Kinda down-and-dirty: cutting torch to open up somewhat less than a 2" hole on the pre-marked spots of the existing pipes, a couple of appropriate length 2" aluminized pipe from their stock with ends shaped a bit, then weld. Less than an hour and $50 to do both mufflers. It's not an art piece, but looks OK. You're not going to see any of it, anyway, unless you're crawling around under the car looking for it.
Not an art piece, no, but stainless steel needs to be welded properly. If it is overheated while welding it loses it's rust resistant properties. Then you might as well use regular old steel... and let 'er rust! You have to be set up to weld stainless. Takes a different gas too, I think.
I'm no welder... (even though I have one, it ain't pretty... not the welder, my work) but I didn't know you could weld aluminum to SS.
As long as it is done right you're good to go.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Spuds993
Advanced

Darin did mine too, love the sound, and he's a super nice guy to boot. Met MarkD and another lister at Darin's shop, ate pizza and watched Darin do his thing. Was a nice way to spend an afternoon
Old 08-02-2007, 09:19 PM
pguy
Instructor

The "another lister" is me Good to hear from you again, Doug.

-dung
Old 08-02-2007, 09:37 PM
Spuds993
Advanced

Hey pguy! I thought I remembered that you lived in Antioch

Hope all is well!
Old 08-02-2007, 09:43 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM sent to Darin. I want to get this done.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:41 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by MDamen
Do you send him the mufflers and the stainless pipe or just the mufflers? I assume you also contacted him ahead of time so he knew they were coming? I've been contemplating going with this mod, just not sure where to get it done. Maybe FisterD is the way to go.
+1
Old 08-02-2007, 11:08 PM
pstraub
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't agree more, Darin Fister did my 993 mufflers last year and I couldn't be happier. There is nothing better than a professional welder that is a perfectionist and doing something he is passionate about. Thanks FisterD
Old 08-03-2007, 01:26 AM
Paulsha911
Racer

He is a great guy and eager to help. Hopefully, I'll find my way up to his shop next week. I have DACH Sport Cats plus RSR now but have a pair of MSP Muffflers around. Planning to mod the MSPs and see what it sounds like with the Sport Cats...

Paul
Old 08-03-2007, 01:37 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
Not an art piece, no, but stainless steel needs to be welded properly. If it is overheated while welding it loses it's rust resistant properties. Then you might as well use regular old steel... and let 'er rust! You have to be set up to weld stainless. Takes a different gas too, I think.
I'm no welder... (even though I have one, it ain't pretty... not the welder, my work) but I didn't know you could weld aluminum to SS.
As long as it is done right you're good to go.

The pipe wasn't pure aluminum- the shop mgr told me that it was some sort of standard "aluminized" pipe regularily used by muffler shops, whatever that is. The stainless used in the OEM mufflers is a very ow grade and the shop simply used their trusty electric welder with a wire feed to do the job. Guessing that there was enough steel in the stainless mufflers and the "aluminized" pipe to pull it off.

-Jim
Old 08-03-2007, 01:45 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow what a great thread
I'm not worthy I'm not worthy
I need to buy you guys a beer! My place????

Paul(sha), No worries, we'll get it done.

Jeff (allill), we'll get you done as well!

Pchansen,Pguy, PStraub, MarkD, Spuds993, Toddimus, SpeedDemon, Chuck Jones, Swede Matt, Topcot, the cold ones are on ice !

Quick Reply: LPMM's- FisterD is the way to go.