993 Forum 1995-1998

Minor Accident

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 01:17 PM
stevenc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor Accident

Hi all. Carfax reported "Accident involving right front impact with another motor vehicle. Minor damage reported." How would you factor that into your buying decision?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-02-2007, 01:39 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Depends.

New fender = pass.

Tiny dent/scrape with cosmetic paint = fine.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Does the owner have the police report and repair bill? Were there any panels replaced? Take the car to a reputable body shop and have them give it a once over. If it was truly a minor fender bender I wouldn't let it stop me in my tracks especially after having it looked at. Heck how many people here (me included) respary a bumper. Good luck.

Mike
Old 08-02-2007, 02:14 PM
dsfnctn
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all. Carfax reported "Accident involving right front impact with another motor vehicle. Minor damage reported." How would you factor that into your buying decision?

There are two kinds of buyers .
1. Buy the car you like . Drive it the way it was supposed to be driven. Actually use the car. Take it on road trips, Drivers Ed, service the car when it needs it , and if the front bumper gets resprayed get the best job done and get it back on the road.

2. Buy the car you can barley afford. actually think its an investment. keep it in the garage.
worry about everything. never drive it because you are worried . Go out and look at the car in the garage and have wet dreams at night. Spend more time on the internet than you do driving the car.

If you fall into group one yhen who really cares about the carfax. if you like the car and the repair looks good then buy it. The reason fenders and bumpers and all the coolers,etc are screwed on is so the can come off and be replaced if needed. Stay away from tub damage. Its not rocket science. Getting the color to match is harder but that is only cosmetic issue.

If you fall into group two you need more help tha the car fax
Old 08-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right front...isn't that near lines for the oil cooler?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:34 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dsfnctn

There are two kinds of buyers .
1. Buy the car you like . Drive it the way it was supposed to be driven. Actually use the car. Take it on road trips, Drivers Ed, service the car when it needs it , and if the front bumper gets resprayed get the best job done and get it back on the road.

2. Buy the car you can barley afford. actually think its an investment. keep it in the garage.
worry about everything. never drive it because you are worried . Go out and look at the car in the garage and have wet dreams at night. Spend more time on the internet than you do driving the car.

If you fall into group one yhen who really cares about the carfax. if you like the car and the repair looks good then buy it. The reason fenders and bumpers and all the coolers,etc are screwed on is so the can come off and be replaced if needed. Stay away from tub damage. Its not rocket science. Getting the color to match is harder but that is only cosmetic issue.

If you fall into group two you need more help tha the car fax
There is another group of buyers.

3. Dream about a car for decades. Work hard, study hard, earn money, earn more money. Buy the car not because you can afford it easily but because you dreamed about it since you were 12. Keep it in the garage out of respect for that dream and drive it every chance you get that allows the car to warm up properly and stretch its legs.

I fall into group 3. I didn't buy it to go to the grocery store, I bought it to enjoy the way that I want to enjoy it. The only person you have to answer to when it comes to a car like this is the person that bought it. Not your wife, not your friends and certainly not someone on the internet.

You will know inside of you if it bothers you or not. If it does, move on. If it doesn't, you are that much closer to driving it.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:43 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the accident is documented with photos and invoices from the repair facility and the work is excellent and imperceptible, I wouldn't worry about it, but use it as a negotiation tool.

If there is no documentation, move on.

If it's a sub-25K mile collector piece or C2S or TT, move on.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:09 PM
901aero
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My $6000.00 Rule:
If you are spending more than $6000.00 on a car, any car, you must see it in person, drive it in person, have a PPO, and in your case have a very knowledgeable body shop/person evaluate the damge and subsequent repairs.

I have seen many cars that have been repaired expertly and therefore have reccomended a purchase.

I have also seen cars that new owners have brought to me with the proud declaration of "Well, what do you think, I got a great deal on it." And sadly that visit usually ends badly.

Bargin against any repaired damage. If you feel it is a loss of 10% of originality then make an offer. I like the % method of devaluation. But you have to reach a comfort level on that one -- you and the seller of course.

Don't rush in, these cars are not that rare. Make sure you get the car you can be happy with. And once you feel like you made the best deal on the best car do that-- Be happy with it. Drive it, enjoy it, and stop looking at the classifieds.

Quick Reply: Minor Accident