seat switch removal help

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 09:14 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default seat switch removal help

All,
Couldn't find via search engine or other DIYs, maybe you can help me out. I have a 95 with an 8-way power driver seat. The rear switch wouldn't go up (moving the back of the seat bottom up) so I tried shooting WD40 in it to no avail. thought I could remove it with a screwdriver to clean it out. bad news, the switch came apart on me and all the springs/bearings went everywhere.

I think I can reassemble it but would like to take the rest of the switch out to do so. It appears to be hardwired from behind, and I can't see how the switch disconnects. can anybody explain how it comes out?

Thanks...
Old 07-29-2007, 09:24 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

You have to remove the wires with it. Trace them back under the seat, cut the wire ties that bundle/hold them and unplug the connectors. Then you can remove the switch/wires as one piece. It should look like this.
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2007, 09:43 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Uhhh - buy a 'used' switch??? LAPD or comparable...
Old 07-29-2007, 09:45 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do yourself a favor and buy a new switch. This is not one of Porsche's greatest designs as you need to remove the seat to get the wiring out. And, unfortunately, they do fail with relative regularity.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:56 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I wouldn't waste my money on a used switch. Get a new one from Sunset.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:23 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Aaaaah, If I have to take the stinking seat out I guess I should put a new one in.

Hopefully Sunset is cheaper than what I spotted online - $133 for the back one (front on is about $50 cheaper for some reason).

Thanks Darin (and Joe and Marlon).

PS - Finally set a record of going more than three weeks without spending money on my car. Guess the streak is over...
Old 07-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Marlon
Drifting

I mentioned 'used' because I was not sure that they were even avaialble...odd part.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:01 PM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't necessarily need to take the switch out. I admit it is easier to work with, but with some patience and steady hands you can put the switch back together without taking the seat out.

Are you sure the switch is completely out? Or does it still intermittenly work in any direction. Sometimes the contacts can be cleaned and they will work again.

-nels
Old 07-29-2007, 11:52 PM
hpuck
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have to take the seat out altogether. Slide it forward all the way and you can get good access to remove the 4 rear allen bolts, then slide it all the way back and tilt it up to get out the 2 front allen bolts. You can simply rock the seat back to get at the underside to disconnect the snap in electrical connection.
Replacement will be easy with that exposure.
I usually disconnect the ground strap at the battery to be safe.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:44 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my god, these switches! I have disassembled and reassembled four in my lifetime. Bearings and springs everywhere. I had one freak out on me when I was driving once, I went to adjust the seat a little bit and it just kept moving forward. I guess one of the little rocker things got jammed. I stopped, pulled the fuse, and drove the 3 miles home with my nose up against the dash. When I bought my 993 I was so happy I only had 8-way on the drivers side.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:16 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by black ice
Couldn't find via search engine or other DIYs, maybe you can help me out.
Reworking the seat adjustment switches
Old 07-30-2007, 08:58 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Amfab,
That thing about the seat not stopping? Mine was doing that - til I shorted it out with a screwdriver by accident and blew the fuse. No worries, at least I don't have to worry about the fool thing moving while I have the switch apart. Seat landed in a comfortable position, albeit high up - kind of entertaining; kind of like flying a Harrier jet.

Thank you thank you for the advice and diy - will try it in the meantime if I can find the last two bearings.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:55 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Any idea what Sunset's cost is on these? I pulled my passenger seat today in order to remove the keyless entry stuff and now the switch that controls the seat back and rear of the seat has stopped working

I have the 8-way seats and the controls all worked before this. The front switch still works correctly.

Andreas
Old 08-02-2007, 09:29 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I pulled my passenger seat today in order to remove the keyless entry stuff and now the switch that controls the seat back and rear of the seat has stopped working

I have the 8-way seats and the controls all worked before this. The front switch still works correctly.
Problem solved. In my haste to re-connect the electrical harness, I attached the female plug one row (of pins) off. Somehow this gave power for the front switch but not for the rear. I attached it correctly and all functions work as they should

Andreas
Old 12-22-2007, 07:32 PM
2nd993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a DIY on the seat removal or is it that easy? I also have the 8 ways power seats and some ahole at the car wash jammed the seat. the motors work but only on one side so that when you try to push the seat back you start to turn sideways a little until the motor siezes up.

any DIY on getting th seat out and fixing these motors?

2nd question... its been a while since i was in here... has anyone got a set of the carbon fibre gt3 leather seats they want to sell me? if i'm in there pulling the seat out anyway i might as well put something i want back in.

Quick Reply: seat switch removal help