another Stereo upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:24 AM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another Stereo upgrade question

Driving home from Putnam with the top down at 85 mph can no longer hear ipod thru my radio have the AM / FM Radio Cassette with the Hi Fi sound system ( all per original sticker, think the model is cr 210 )

Went to a local audio place and they are recommending a Panasonic CQC 1305u CD/ Radio( which has a plug for the ipod instead o using te radio transmitter to a nn used station ), a DBDDrive 85 X 2 Amp,and 2 Diamond D 362 speakers........

all of the above included installation, tax, title out the door comes to $ 750 quote

i really dont want to spend that much for a little more volumne, what do you al recommend ?????

Thanks in advance for your opinions BTW can not use a wind screen as my roll bar prevents instllation

THANKS
Old 07-27-2007, 02:24 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

since you have a cassette, get a miniplug to cassette adapter and you can play your ipod directly into the tape. It will sound better too. You will have to adjust the volume on BOTH the ipod side and the radio. The adapter is about $20.

Other than that, you can get an amp, but a good amp will run a few hundred at least. Depending on the power, you will have to upgrade the speakers too.
A decent aftermarket Headunit with either an aux input or ipod interface will work also, how much do you want to spend? Alpine makes very good headunits with prety decent power.

what kind of sound quality are you after? good quality costs $$$, Do you plan to install yourself? A decent install will cost $$$ also. Stereo upgrades have a pretty steep slope if you don't watch yourself.

you can search the archives but you will find Audison Amps and Focal Speakers are quite popular with the Porsche Rennlist community. Top of the line Focals get pretty pricy though.

I just went with an upgrade to a CDR-220 from Becker that has an AUX input ($250+$100 for upgraded faceplate) Lunar 2125 Amp and Oz matrix speakers. sound is amazing, but now you can tell the ipod has quality loss vs CDs. The system is so clean, I can even tell the difference between good CDs and poor ones. I will say, I look forward to my drive just so I can hear quality sound.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:35 AM
993polarsilver
Racer

Alpine has a fantastic iPod interface system. There is no need to go with old aux input if that is what is on offer. I paid $199 from my Alpine head that controls the iPod as a slave. Very cool and much better than having to work the wheel as you drive or let it run through songs on shuffle. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:47 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

I have a custom box for sale made for a 993 cab that goes on top of the rear seat.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:16 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on how much of an audiophile you are, decide your budget and then we can give you some options.

Personally, I have spent close to £1,000 on my audio system, but I wanted it right and it's good!

Edit:

Talk to Rod Birch, he advised me and shipped me over some subs & enclosures, I am very pleased with the results.

http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/tips.htm
Old 07-27-2007, 09:42 AM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

I ordered an Alpine 9883 last night from Crutchfield. Comes with an Ipod cable free.
All in, including air frieght and some fitting bits and pieces I paid $218.
I've spent $$$$s in the past, but I got tired with the FM Ipod link I had, and found this, which is a great deal. Now to install..... ergh...!
Will fit over the weekend, and will post pics when done.

Phil
Old 07-27-2007, 09:55 AM
jda407
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rod Birch @ Car Audio Innovations is the man to talk to!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Another bit of advice, shop around, visit many install shops, there are a lot of hacks out there and you want the install done right. The only 2 I can recommend are Rod Birch and Jamey Rawlings, both are in California and impractical for you. Every shop will have different recommendations (due to a variety of reasons, includeing profit margin)
the process is somewhat like an interview, rember, these guys will be working on your Porsche, you have to be comfortable with whoever you hire to do the work.

Headunits to consider: Alpine, Nakamichi, Clarion, Macintosh ($$$$$)
Amplifiers: Lunar (handmade in USA!!) Tru Technologies (also hand made in USA) Audison
Speakers: mostly this will be personal preferance as to what sounds good to YOU, but Focals, Hertz, Boston Acoustics, Oz Audio, Polk, are all good, but the higher end speakers can be ~$1k a pair for 6.5" components. The top of the line Focals are ~$2k. You will also have to decide if you want a subwoofer or not.

As you can see, there is a huge range of possibilities. good luck!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some quick questions on the 9883: are you required to have a separate cd changer box or will it play one at a time thru the face plate? Does it have auto sound level adust when driving?

mar
Old 07-27-2007, 02:07 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Hi Marlon

Are you required to have a separate cd changer box ... No, it can play one at a time in the head unit.

Does it have auto sound level adust when driving? ... Not sure, can't see this as a listed feature, but no biggie in my book.

Hopefully the fitting will go well tomorrow and I'll be able to advise on the result!

Phil
'95 993 Coupe
Old 07-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put in an Alpine iDA-X001 which has superb iPod integration. The head unit also has enough power to make it audible in a cabriolet. I got this unit as it also has bluetooth and it automatically imports the phone book from my cell each time I get into the car.

I had an older Alpine 9825(?) that had some iPod integration, but it was far short of what the new unit provides.

Fancy speakers and audiophile level components are a huge waste of money in a cabriolet where the ambient noise just driving with the top up is 80 db. I used Soundwave in San Carlos do do the install in the 993 and have used them in the past for the ML430 I had. They do a nice job.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:12 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think best buy is running a sale on alpine for 200 with the ipod connetor included, also installed. hard to beat if you can trust thier installers. fwiw.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

I wouldn't trust the installers at Best Buy. In fact I don't really trust anyone, get references and ask to see previous installation work. It also helps considrably to have specific experience with 993s. Every car has different access holes etc... ways to run wires.

If you are only installing the headunit, you can do it yourself. There should be a harness adapter availalbe to convert the Becker harness to an Alpine and be nearly plug and play. If not, get the wiring diagrams for both (Becker's are on their website) and start playing connect the dots. Car Stereo installation is pretty straight forward, just a matter of being neat and tidy, which is where I don't trust the chain store installers.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:47 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I do not want to hijack this tread but I just received my FM modulator today to install it in my CR210 as an ipod / PDA interface. In my convertible the sound quality should be ok and if I need better quality I go with the CD changer that will still be in place.

What tool do I need to pull the radio? I have the DIN tool and the "flat" tool that you need for the newer Audis. Photos or link would be nice.

Thanks
Erik
Old 07-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

1+ on the Alpine X001. Put a small amp up front and it is LOUD. iPod integration is very good, as is BT.

Quick Reply: another Stereo upgrade question