OT: Help From You Guys on German / Czech Trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:07 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OT: Help From You Guys on German / Czech Trip

Hey Guys

Flying to Munich and thinking of driving from Munich through Bavaria to Prague and back. Have about six days to do it and want to concentrate on the two cities. Have the following questions.

1) Aside from the usual suspects (Europcar, Avis, and Hertz) anybody recommend where to pick a nice car for the drive i.e. BMW, Boxster......

2) Any route from Munich to Prague that is highly recommended....

3) Is a run to Stuttgart worth it with the new Porsche museum not yet ready?

thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 11:24 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 551 Posts

sixt

Parking in old downtown Prague may be a problem. The Hotel Pariz has parking in front.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:32 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Prague is great. Went there last summer and over to Slovakia as well. Yeah parking downtown in Prague is tough. We rented a Skoda
Old 07-27-2007, 12:09 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

This trip sounds like fun - I'm evious!

Rent a turbodiesel BMW 3 or 5er from Sixt - fun ride and you'll appreciate the diesel when you fill up.

Stuttgart is good for the factory tour but I wouldn't go out of my way for the old museum. You may be able to get in on a tour at the last minute, search this forum for the contact info for Frau Sigrid Mauz at the factory.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:24 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Czech out Plzen or Budojovice for the world's best beers, and Karlovy Vary too.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:21 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Thanks fellas!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:28 PM
jimwood
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll second the recommendation on a BMW 3 series turbo diesel from Sixt. They may try to stick you into a wagon, so, you have to ask for one with a trunk. I just got back last week from Europe and rented a BMW from Sixt, very easy experience.

Word of caution: I do not believe the rental company will let you drive a BMW, Benz, etc into Czech from Germany. You have to get a Peugeot (sp?) or something. Ask them first.

The Porsche museum is more like a gift shop with 8 cars, i.e. it's small. You can walk from one end to the other in 15 seconds.

But while in Stuttgart you can also visit the Mercedes Benz Museum. That is very impressive and brand new. I think they spent something like 100+ million building it. You could spend half a day in there.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:44 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Jim,

Say it ain't so!

Sixt news is bad, I had my eye on a Z4 coupe or cab or the special rate they are running on Audi TTs.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:14 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No good cars, BMW, Audi, MB allowed into eastern europe. Drive to Dresden take the train to prague for the day, plus you can see the VW Phaeton factory there.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Peter B
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

efa-automuseum.de is worth a look! About 35 km. east of Munich
Old 07-27-2007, 05:17 PM
Buddha
Intermediate

1) Aside from the usual suspects (Europcar, Avis, and Hertz) anybody recommend where to pick a nice car for the drive i.e. BMW, Boxster......

Check out Thrifty - I think they rent Mercedes and Audi cars and don't have a problem with you taking these out to CZ.

2) Any route from Munich to Prague that is highly recommended....

Most direct route is 100% highway, 3.5 hours trip, with nothing much to see. If you're into Mozart, you can make it into a full-day trip via Salzburg.
Check out Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad) on the way back from Prague to Munich.

3) Is a run to Stuttgart worth it with the new Porsche museum not yet ready?

I would do it, since you will be so close... and I second the new MB museum recommendation, it's simply amazing.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:33 PM
thorsche
Track Day

Default munich to prague

I can't speak to the car rental / CZ insurance issues above, but definitely have some opinions on the way to and fro:

The Salzburg (Austria) stopover was already mentioned. Once there, it is only an hour's drive to Passau, in Germany, but right on the border to Austria. The confluence of three rivers has led Alexander von Humboldt to call it one of the seven most beautiful cities in the world. The restaurant at the "Veste Oberhaus" (an old castle) overlooks this three-river panaorama and the old part of Passau below (also worth a walk). Here you will also find the Passau cathedral, with the biggest organ (17,000 pipes) in the world. I spent my college time there, so I may be biased, but Passau is a beautiful city - with 5 breweries within city limits you will also find great "Hefeweizen" (wheat beer, served WITHOUT a lemon, for crying out loud) and homestyle cooking (like at the "Ratskeller").

Regensburg, about an hour north of there, is a bit bigger and better-known, but I'd recommend Passau.

Not to bring down the mood, but one "site" that I found very worthwhile (althought it may ruin your day) is "KZ Mauthausen": a concentration camp outside of Linz (Austria), a little over an hour's drive south along the Danube. Unlike a lot of other camps, a lot of the camp is still intact and it gives one a good impression of how this horrible plan was carried out - from what I understand a lot of other camps are not as well-preserved.

Prague is a great city - Cesky Krumlov is another city that I've heard a lot about (old world charm, crooked streets, castle overlooking everything) - so that may be another potential stop.

Around Munich, you can also enjoy the lakes: The "Chiemsee" is on your way to Salzburg, the "Tegernsee" is the stomping ground of the rich and famous from Munich (also where Bayern Munich, the soccer team, preps for the upcoming season) and you can have a(n overpriced) cup of coffee and piece of cake in the "Hotel Bachmair am See."

Full disclosure: I was born and raised in Germany

Long live the Autobahn!

(Why did I buy a Porsche in Southern California? Anyone?)
Old 08-07-2007, 05:52 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Well guys with all your help all is set.

I am picking up my Alfa 147 (no German cars in Eastern Europe) driving from Munich to Prague, spending three days in Prague and then driving form Prague to Salzbug. A possible stop at Passau, a run to Berchtesgaden and then up the A8 to Prien Chiemsee, visiting one of Ludwig's castle's and then up toward Munich. Then two days in Munich catching the tale end of Oktoberfest. Should be fun.

Thank you all for your help.

Special thanks to Terry Adams for suggesting the Hotel Pariz which is our choice, Thorsche for all the excellent suggestions and lastly everyone who pitched in.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:28 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have you looked at a good map for this trip? Salzburg is about an hour and change from Munich. Prague is considerably further with border headaches on both ends and in a different direction. Chiemsee is on the way to Salzburg from Munich. Berchtesgaden and Passau would be best to hit on the way back to Munich from Salzburg. Ludwig's castle, Neuschwanstein, is in Fuessen, about an hour south or southwest Munich, IIRC. Since you're going to Salzburg, it's only another 1.5 hrs. to the original Porsche factory in Gmuend. Unrivaled scenery anywhere in the world on the way too.

Quick Reply: OT: Help From You Guys on German / Czech Trip