Parking...One more time

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 12:58 PM
MGA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking...One more time

This topic has been bantered about multiple times...

I dont consider myself paranoid or obsessed (well, maybe mildly obsessed, like most of us visiting this board), more like cautious and un-trusting of our fellow earthlings. I just dont feel comfortable parking my cab at movie theater parking lots, etc. at night. Whenever in a parking lot, always try and park FAR away from the crowds. At night, this seems like an open invitation to those inclined to teach me a lesson for driving something special.

Guess i'm looking for some "Amens" to support my idiosynchroncies.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always park the P-cars as far away from the front door as possible or, at multi level parking, the higher floors...usually I find another P-car parked right beside me...this procedure is not recommended for bad neighborhoods or too dark parking lots though!!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:27 PM
luvmy356
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree that parking your P-Car away from the crowd just draws unwanted attention to your car....thus increasing your chances for the after movie night vandals. I prefer to park my p-cars with the general population, but in spot next to a support post, or curbed parking strip etc, and hugging that side of the space.

The best solution is to drive a different car when going to the theater or movies. We rarely drive a p-car on date nights. The evening is much more enjoyable and a lot less stressful when we take the beater downtown so that we can just pull into any parking space, or park it on the street next to the halfway house and not spend time trolling for the ideal parking spot or worring about the car at dinner or during the show.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:17 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But isn't taking your p-car out on date night part of the fun?

I do the parking next to the pole or grass so I can get over to one side. I am a lot less sensitive if I can part in slanted spots, which have more room.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 150 Posts

Parking is always a stress! I don't even like to park my Honda Accord near anyone because I hate when people ruin my things. It's a jungle out there!
Old 07-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was told by a co-worker who I guess used to mess with peoples cars back in his younger days the following:

Parking on the line between two spaces is ok. Parking on that same line, but angular (to take up more of the spaces) shows "arrogance"

take it for what its worth.....I love driving the car but GOD do I hate to park it
Old 07-23-2007, 12:22 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amen.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:26 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't know how much this really matters, but the only time I have been sriously dinged, was when I backed in. My thinking, is that the offending driver calculated distance based on the front of the car. The rear of the car is obviously MUCH wider, and thus my rear wheel well was hit. I certianly don't blame myself, but I don't back in anymore, and tend to park on a spot that has no space to the right of it, and move all the way to the right to give as much room to the left as possible, and hopefully there isn't even a passenger in the car that parks next to me. (which in So Cal is a pretty safe bet)
Old 07-23-2007, 12:42 AM
allill
Drifting

No matter what car you park in a lot, there are a lot of dumb a$$'s out there who don't care nor respect the metal next to them. I often stay in the car (not the p-car) with the windows rolled down and still get a bump here and there. Some folks just don't care and it's funny. My 993 doesn't get to the movies much and only gets parked in lots that I know has HUGE spaces.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:59 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 355 Posts

I believe there are four factors that have combined to cause an increase in parking lot dings:

1. In an effort to create more parking spaces, malls, theaters etc. have reduced the size of individual spaces (We have done this at the university where I work).

2. There has been a concommitant increase in the number of very large SUV/Pickup type vehicles parking in these smaller spaces thus increasing the odds of a large, heavy door hitting the car in the adjacent space.

3. There exists a significant number of obese people in this country who are so large that they cannot get in their cars without the door being full open and thus hitting the car next to it (I'm not joking here).

4. Our society has become increasingly self-centered and impersonal, resulting in a significant portion of the population who don't give a damn about others' property or space.

That said, I think that majority of parking lot "mishaps" are more the result of people who aren't paying attention than people who set out to purposefully damage someone else's property (Although I must say that when I see any car parked across two spaces, my first impulse is to let the air out of all four tires )
Old 07-23-2007, 09:35 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I park as far away possible from other cars without being too far as to draw attention. Also, I find a spot that is at the end of a strip, so at least I reduce my chances 50% of getting dinged.

Even then, I find out that a huge SUV's is parked right next to my car when there were plenty of other parking spots closer available to them.

I print some of these forms out, and carry them with me so I write them my own ticket.

www.youparklikeanasshole.com

Check the galleries out
http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/...lery2/main.php
Old 07-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd add #5 to the above list...

5- The leasing generation...small dents are considered wear and tear...so, nobody cares about their cars anymore...and they don't care about the cars around either!
Old 07-23-2007, 12:01 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was sitting in my 993 in a parking lot and some woman parked next to me and immeadiately opened her door and hit the passenger side of my car. I got out and asked her what the F**K? and her reply in a very nasty tone was "well, I didn't mean to do it" to which I said "what the hell does that have to do with anything, you hit the side of my car".

She started to walk away like it was no big deal so I call SDPD and the responding officer & I were waiting when she came back out of the store.

I had the officer take a report and she sudddenly became very apologetic and offered to pay for the ding in my door in cash right on the spot.

This goes to prove that she knew she was wrong but unless prompted by the color of authority had no intent of owning up to the damage she caused.

Needless to say she did pay for the dent removal and paint touch up so I was satisfied, but I still have to wonder how people have become so callous regarding other people's cars.

ZP44
Old 07-23-2007, 07:59 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

My wife has countless dings in her grocery getter, I am talking at least a dozen in the last 3 years, and not a single person has ever bothered to leave a note or wait for her. I guess it is a good thing that she looks at her car as a utilitarian piece of equipment, and nothing more. I am always very careful about how and where I park the P-Car, but I use it mostly for pleasure, so that makes it easier.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:01 AM
Duane993
Racer

I agree reasons 1-5 above are the most common. And then there is reason number 6. "Can't you see I have children". I never took any of the Porsches on dates so I don't get the "why did you park so far away" or "just leave it with the valet" whining. It still never fails that when you park on the far side of the back 40, with 1,000 spaces between you and the front door, some jerk in a total beater parks next to you, and he cant even get it between the lines.

Quick Reply: Parking...One more time