Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Are all aftermarket HID lights created equal and fit inside headlight?

Old 07-20-2007, 11:55 AM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are all aftermarket HID lights created equal and fit inside headlight?

I'm unclear if I have to buy a "replacement" or will a new HID HID kit fit inside the headlight housing? Which new kit has the smallest ignightor or are they all the same size? Thanks, Jack
Old 07-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

You need to get the combination ballast/ignitor type. dimensions that will fit are roughly 3x3.5x1 inches. For some models you will have to remove a small plastic tab that is on the inside of the backing of the headlight housing. I just used wire clippers and clipped it off.

Some of the new kits have ballasts that are small enough, mine did.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what is the price point range???
Old 07-20-2007, 09:40 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I did similar to that of Kika. Trimmed the cover plastic and shortened the wire lengths for a nice fit. I don't remember what I paid... about $300 for the pair? Don't sweat the small s*it.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

This is n't the same provider, but this is the same kit I got. I paid ~$120 shipped. The seller was overseas. don't recall the name.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-X...32214532QQrdZ1
Old 07-21-2007, 02:29 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kika
You need to get the combination ballast/ignitor type. dimensions that will fit are roughly 3x3.5x1 inches. For some models you will have to remove a small plastic tab that is on the inside of the backing of the headlight housing. I just used wire clippers and clipped it off.

Some of the new kits have ballasts that are small enough, mine did.
Did you modify/splice any wires to connect the HID's or was it a simple plug and play kit?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:11 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

I did not cut any of the factory wires. I added a pigtail to the kit wiring to put a 10A fuse in-line with the + side. I modified the connectors on the kit side of the wiring to plug into the factory wiring.
Other than the mod to the back plate (clipping off the plastic protrusion) I had to file out the hole where the bulb goes in, as the HID bulb is a little fatter than the standard H1 bulb. It was just a bit awkward filing upside down, so the shavings wouldn't go inside.

I took the opportunity to also change the lenses (10 years old now) and I got clear plastic covers for them to protect them. (The old set had several rock chips)

Once the connectors were replaced on the kit side of the wiring, it became plug and play. I needed to have a female spade connector to attach to the positive side, and a male bullet connector to connect to the ground side. Don't recall the exact sizes, but I just took the whole bucket to the electronics store and made sure the connectors fit.

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the kit I put on mine:

"super slim" HID kit

Same seller too (no affiliation, other than a happy customer). Shipped quick with no issues. No splicing/cutting required for the factory wires. I just changed the ends on the kit's wiring harness connector to plug-and-play with the factory setup. Everything fits very easily in the headlight housings, so no holes to drill either.

Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are all aftermarket HID lights created equal and fit inside headlight?