Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Tired of crappy looking tail pipe tips...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Tired of crappy looking tail pipe tips...?

Hey folks - I can polish 993 tail pipe tips if anybody out there does not want to spend a couple hours doing it with a drill. I have concluded that a 3000 rpm bench polisher works best. I have total control of the buffing wheel and it generates plenty of RPM to clean AND polish the metal without any damage or
undesireable change to the metal surface. A 450 rpm drill will not cut it - literally. The results look great. I would offer to do it for 49 bucks including UPS Ground return shipping to lower 48 States. Turnaround time in my shop would be 3 days from time of receiving your tips to UPS drop off. (This covers me in case I receive your tips on Friday - UPS does not pickup on SAT&SUN) If you want faster shipping - you pay actual rate and ensure I get them on a Monday or Tuesday. You can ship them to me and wait until I finish to pay via paypal or include a postal MO or personal check. I won't ship until your personal check clears. My work includes polishing all the actual tip area and the backplate that viewer sees from the back of your car and a general cleaning of them which facilitates handling by an ungloved hand and not get (too) dirty. I cannot polish out scrape marks on the bottom of your tips. All tips will be properly inventoried to ensure that you get YOUR tips back. You must remove all hardware, donuts, etc. before shipping to me. This serivce is for TWO (2), Factory Porsche p/n 993 naturally aspirated tips, one Left side and one Right side tip. I reserve the right to refuse work on damaged or structurally unsound tips.
Thoughts???
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2007, 01:16 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

You can buy these ( fake big ovals), which look much better than stock for about $50. So, not sure how many people will go for it, but good luck.
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Sure - At certain angles they might have a sort of thin, ricer-look. Spoken of course by the SUV king cab 993!

I realize my clientele portfolio might be somewhat limited - or not at all.
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2007, 05:49 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

where do you get the fake big ovals? Any pics of them installed?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:56 PM
dcdude
Drifting

I've had pretty good luck with Cam metal polish (an old Wax Shop product) and strips of old t-shirt, shoe shine style. I don't feel like fighting rusty bolts plus my vice isn't set up, so I'm doing them in place. Slow going between other chores. Easier when the car is up on the AC flat-top stands. Will probably supplement with some Dremel tool action. The experimentation is fun, I guess.

I may yet give up and send 'em to Marlon. I think that's a fair price...what do most of us here bill for our time?

Last edited by dcdude; 07-20-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:46 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPS
where do you get the fake big ovals? Any pics of them installed?
There was a rennlist group buy last year some time. I think the guys name is CorvetteDude on ebay. Here they are on my car.
Attached Images   
Old 07-20-2007, 07:48 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dcdude68
I may yet give up and send 'em to Marlon. I think that's a fair price...what you most of us bill for our time here?
First potential customer...cool!
Old 07-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Cool - you won't be dissapointed and if you are you can have your money back - this seems like a pretty good group:^)
Old 07-20-2007, 08:06 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marlon, looks great.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Here's more info that I sent in a PM recently:

Reason I mentioned that you keep the hardware (nut, bolt & donut-if Bischoff) is that it's less to keep track of - no biggee though.

Just have to remove the bolt & nut the holds the tip to the end of the pipe. When I was removing mine, I sheared one off a bolt due to extreme rust and the other one came off ok. You can get new correct hardware from the dealer. On the Bischoff system, theres a little metal donut that sits in the flared area between the pipe and tip fittings. It sort of swivels around to help you square up the tip upon installation. Just remove the bolts and pry the clamp apart and the tip should slide right off and they are a little on the heavy side. Call me at home or cell if you want to chat about it more. I also should have mentioned that if you are not happy, I'll refund your money.

If you give me your home email address, I'll send you a photo of a before and after shot that I took in the shop. The metal doesn;t really become smooth like glass, it merely shines and cleans it up since it is really some pretty heavy-duty industrial strength stainless steel that the vendor uses for these tips.
H 703 249-0174 C 703 309-4967
Old 07-20-2007, 09:48 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FisterD
There was a rennlist group buy last year some time. I think the guys name is CorvetteDude on ebay. Here they are on my car.
Close... his name is CorvetteC5Dude. Here is a LINK to an auction. I have a pair of these too, and I think they are very good. He sells these as "slightly used", but I couldn't tell that they weren't brand new.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:18 PM
Black993
Drifting

well thanks a bunch...now I bought some new tips I clearly didn't need

Old 07-20-2007, 11:48 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i've got the $50 oval specials & they've held up great... no bumper melting either. this was last year aft. install. car actually sounds throatier too...

Old 07-21-2007, 12:50 AM
Black993
Drifting

Originally Posted by 24FPS
i've got the $50 oval specials & they've held up great... no bumper melting either. this was last year aft. install. car actually sounds throatier too...

any more pics of those wheels? They look GREAT!

Quick Reply: Tired of crappy looking tail pipe tips...?