Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repaint or sell. What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 01:08 PM
jainbaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repaint or sell. What do you think?

Hello,

OK, so lately I have been thinking about selling or repainting my 1995 iris blue c2.

The car runs awesome, no issues other than needing some rear tires.

I love the car, however the paint has some issues. The previous owner must have parked the car in the same spot all the time because the right front fender and mirror are dull. There is also the normal road rash on the hood and bumper.

I bought the car for a great price and I could sell it for about $30K and not really lose anything. The car has 77,000 miles on it.

Here are my questions, does a repaint hurt or help the value? Does it affect it at all? There is absolutely no body damage, never had any accidents.

I am not looking to sell it and replace it with a low mileage garage queen, but just one with better exterior appearance. Every time I clean it, it makes me a little mad. When I drive it, I smile

I would be replacing it with another 993.

I have a friend who is in the paint business and he gave me a great price to paint it (all glass out)
Old 07-08-2007, 01:21 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

If he is your friend, ask him about wet sanding the finish and just respraying the bumber cover and hood. I have heard people have had great results with only doing this.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jainbaby
I bought the car for a great price and I could sell it for about $30K and not really lose anything. The car has 77,000 miles on it.
With a bad paint finish and 77k miles...it will be hard to get $30K on this car...
IMHO...good luck anyway!
Old 07-08-2007, 01:32 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The color sanding suggestion with a front end respray was a good one. Definitely the first thing to try. If your intention is to keep it long term anyways, then paint it. If you sell and buy something else, you will risk getting a car that is not as mechanically sound.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:38 PM
jainbaby
Racer

Paint is not as bad as I may have made it sound. The car shines great, it is just the front passenger fender. I am pretty confident $30K is a good deal on a mechanically sound 993. from 2 feet away the car is gorgeous.

He (painter) looked at it, the wet sand will not work. he gave me two options, repaint whole car or just front. he said he think that it will blend very well, but I was worried that it may not match perfectly due to the fact that the rest of the paint is 12 years old. He said he could wet sand the front and paint the two fenders, hood, bumper and mirrors.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:41 PM
jainbaby
Racer

could be a good time to add a euro front bumper and some brake duct air inlets...
Old 07-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would go the repaint, either front end or whole car depending upon budget. Think about the sales tax you would need to pay for a swap with a new 993 as a discount on the paint job. Also, If you've had the car for a while, you know its mechanical condition. Any new (used) car is always somewhat of a crapshoot.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:50 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm actually having the asme challange. I thinl I'll go for a repaint and add the euro turbo front bumper as well as the C2S rear deck lid. My car has 30k and will definetly a keeper for me. Also I'm planning to do some upholstery with the dash as well as with the door panels and the seats.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jainbaby
The previous owner must have parked the car in the same spot all the time because the right front fender and mirror are dull. There is also the normal road rash on the hood and bumper.
Was that fender and mirror repainted at some previous point?

If you're going to stick with a 993 then stay with your current car getting the finish restored to your liking. You know your car's history; with a new car you'll be starting fresh. Better the devil you know...
Old 07-08-2007, 04:25 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you like the car, repaint it, keep it and enjoy its brand new look. Who cares about the value? It's not an investment. Besides, if you document what the repaint was done for, it shouldn't hurt its value.

As these cars are getting over 12 years old now, it will be more and more common to see them resprayed just as it is common to see them with engine head work, clutch replacements, etc. Paint, like anything else in the car, has a finite life expectancy.

I was recently hit on the rear, very slight bumper damage. The insurance of the other driver paid for new bumper and full repray of the lid and rear fenders to blend with the bumper. I was in the same dilemma as you are now. At the end, I decided to do a full respray to paint the front and doors. I replaced all body rubber gaskets with new pieces, etc. My car now looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Not a single scratch, ding, nick or dent in sight.

If you sell yours to get another, unless you buy a dried up garage queen, the paint on the "new" one could also be needing some restoring as well.

If you are happy with your car, don't let a good paint job scare you from your perfectly good car.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It's twelve years old so treat it to a new paint job if you still love the car. You'll be glad that you did.

Cheers,

David
Old 07-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Jeff Ward
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Might try just clearcoating

I think I'm right that the factory paint is basecoat/clearcoat. If the color part is still good enough, and the clearcoat hasn't done any more than dulled up a bit, you might be in luck. It's worth a shot to have your paint guy very lightly scuff the surface and spray a new clearcoat on the affected panels. He will have to clearcoat the entire panel as clearcoat doesn't seem to blend well. You'll still have the original color, and particularly if it's a metallic color, that means alot.
I've been able to do this before and can send you a photo or two if you want. Just shoot me a pm.
Jeff Ward
Old 07-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,109 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Dude, are you serious???? Really?...really, really, reeeellie????

Firstly, I'm sorry to tell you this but you won't see $30 for a 95 with 77k mi and a problem fender that will still need to be repainted. Think more like $25k. Do your homework and you'll quickly realize this is the reality.

Secondly, you're then going to walk away from the car that you "love" and know and buy another...but not a garage queen??? Well that means you're going to buy something with, what, 40, 50K? That's going to set you back about $35 to $40 and that's after you've spent numerous hours of searching and dealing (what's your time worth?) as well as $$$ on PPIs to make sure you have something that may not be/look as nice if your car was repaired?

Thirdly, don't forget there's taxes on top of that, plus, since it's a 10 to 13 year old car, it probably won't be perfect either so you'll probably have to spend more $$$ to fix odds and ends (you're not buying a garage queen right?).

Do yourself a favor: Spend $8k to get a full respray and if you choose the right shop, the car will look like new and may actually be worth closer to the $30k you think its worth...yes, with 77k mi, it will add value and not otherwise. Alternatively, spend $3k and get the front end resprayed. Again, if you choose the right bodyshop, you will not be able to tell where the blend is and if the rear end is in good shape, it will look almost as good as the $8k deal. After you've done this, take another $5k and spend it on things like suspension, wheels, tires, etc and get out and enjoy your car.

My $.02.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:04 PM
jainbaby
Racer

Rokn, I agree with everyting you say except $25K. I looked for a 993 for 5 months. Trust me there is nothing for $25K that anyone on this board would buy. Every car I saw under about $35K was a POS and did not look like a porsche owner owned the car, had no sevice records, needed major work. I don't know how to post pics, otherwise I would post pics. I am positive I would sell it for $30K. I have had a number of people PM and email me just wanting to buy the car from reading this thread.

I have decided to get it painted.

I stand by the claim, you cannot buy a 993 that is not a POS for less than $30K. It is hard in the low $30s. You can get a nice 964 for about $25K, not a 993.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:36 AM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

So you have decided not to sell it on ebay then? I actually saw it on ebay last week and considered buying it. It looks like a nice car. Just paint it. you will be happier in the long run if you want to have a 993. Just my .02...

Quick Reply: Repaint or sell. What do you think?