Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repaint or sell. What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Paint is dull? Honestly, have you tried having the car professionally detailed? I have seen nothing short of miracles occur with a good detailer. And you would only be in for $200-300. As for the road rash... As someone else suggested you could just have the bumper taken off and painted to match.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:43 AM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been considering the same thing (the repainting part, not selling). I recently bought my '97 C2 with 65K miles for $31K. The car is in great shape mechanically and inside, but the paint is only OK. I suspect the car was not always garaged or was in a semi-enclosed parking garage.

I also have a friend who runs a body shop and the car is currently there getting a bumper respray (with conversion to Euro lights), paintless dent removal, and a full wet sand. My friend seems to think that will do the trick for about $1000 rather than $5-7K for a full repaint. I figured it's worth a try at least. I'll post pics as soon as the car is done.

I agree with the other posts here, you should go ahead and paint your current car. Why put yourself through the search process for another one with unknown issues? I've restored several cars (not Porsches) and the right paint job should make you fall in love with your car all over again. Just make sure you get it done right the first time, as any imperfections are going to haunt you and be expensive to fix.

Best of luck!
Old 07-10-2007, 04:24 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

As long as you guys document the respray, meaning taking lots of pics with date on them before during and after at the shop, then I see it as an add on value. A resprayed car I would not touch it with a wooden pole undocumented, however a documented cosmetic respray for me would be desirable.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I got this one for 22K...Black on cashmere.

Only four options: power driver seat, power windows, sunroof and power locks. (I think they all come with A/c except RS, etc.) It also came with the original 16" wheels and tires as 'spares' to the 18" set on it now.

It needs: new shocks, new plug wires, new seats, new clutch slave cylinder (mine is ratchety but quite functional) and the standard stuff like valve cover gaskets, etc. Already bled brakes, changed oil (easy really), etc. 100K miles, non smoker, doctor-owned, perfect interior, everything works, no smokey exhaust, no changed out glass or panels. I plan to have it wet sanded and buffed, probably respray the front bumper while I'm at it. Local Porsche dealer could not find any significant issues or show stoppers with it. Passed Virginia emissions easily. I will end up putting about 4 or5K in it to get it perfect as a daily driver for a while until the dreaded engine rebuild. I did not plan to have to change out the seats, but I found a nice 30K mile set of 8-way power seats for 1200. Will proabably sell the original set for a couple hundred.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:12 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
Only four options: power driver seat, power windows, sunroof and power locks. (I think they all come with A/c except RS, etc.) It also came with the original 16" wheels and tires as 'spares' to the 18" set on it now.

It needs: new shocks, new plug wires, new seats, new clutch slave cylinder (mine is ratchety but quite functional) and the standard stuff like valve cover gaskets, etc. Already bled brakes, changed oil (easy really), etc. 100K miles, non smoker, doctor-owned, perfect interior, everything works, no smokey exhaust, no changed out glass or panels. I plan to have it wet sanded and buffed, probably respray the front bumper while I'm at it. Local Porsche dealer could not find any significant issues or show stoppers with it. Passed Virginia emissions easily. I will end up putting about 4 or5K in it to get it perfect as a daily driver for a while until the dreaded engine rebuild. I did not plan to have to change out the seats, but I found a nice 30K mile set of 8-way power seats for 1200. Will proabably sell the original set for a couple hundred.
Sounds like a good find! Post some pictures when you can.

I have never understood the "doctor owned" comments. Should this imply that the owner actually cared about/for the car?

Andreas
Old 07-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe it refers to the ability to pay for premium upkeep! ;-)

Quick Reply: Repaint or sell. What do you think?