Sponsored by:

dry start conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:17 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dry start conundrum

The current Road and Track (July 2007, ppg 168) contains a letter from a vette owner re dry starts following two weeks of sitting. The editors opined that near continuous use is ideal while use every two days is practical. The use of Lucas oil additives (with a promise of no dry starts) and the installation of an oil accumulator were discussed.

What about us. It seems the Rennlist gospel is that we should avoid short drives and try to drive long enough to get the oil up to proper temperature and to then ahem exercize the car. This seems reasonable and I try to adhere to this gospel. Practically, this results in fewer drives albeit longer drives. Should adherents of the fewer starts and avoidance of short milk runs school of thought be concerned with the dreaded "dry start conundrum"??

As always, thanks in advance and yes I did a search (several) and I also was reluctant to ask an oil related question!!

Jack
Old 06-11-2007, 07:44 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

So, are there ANY thoughts on "dry starts" and our 993's? Is anyone using the Lucas oil additive??

Jack
Old 06-11-2007, 07:53 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the beauty of our cars is that they are dry sump systems, almost instant oil on start up. And that a motor in good shape will keep the lifters pumped up under pressure and ready for service instantly. I don't use anything other than 15W50 M-1
Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Peter R.
Pro

IMO dry or wet sumps do not make a difference when running dry bearings is concerned. The good news is that our boxer engines usually have to spin around a few times before they catch. This MAY give the oil pump enough time to prime.
After several weeks/months of no activity, for example when laid up over winter periods, it is recommended to pull the coil wires and 'dry starting' the car a few times to make sure the oil gets everywhere.

Where running short distances and insuffeciently heated oils are concerned, however, especially after long periods of inactivity , the formation of acidic components in the oil and exhaust systems due to accumulation of condensates and oil vapours become an issue. These have a seriously detrimental effect on the alloys used in and around your engine.

Peter R.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:51 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive the car every day, then there are no long periods of inactivity and no worries about a dry start, at least for me.

ZP44
Old 06-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Uplon upper-cylinder lube from Klotz, at 1/2 oz. per gallon mix, because my car is a garage queen and I'm never sure when the next time is that it's going to be used. As far as yanking the spark, I used to do that on other cars that were inactive for a while, but you're still loading a fuel charge in the cylinder, which can cause its own problems when spark is applied again. I would save that for situations where the car hasn't been used for a couple months or more.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 604 Posts

If it were me, I would drive it as much as you can. If you live in Florida, as do I, I'd drive it rain and shine and change the oil on a regular basis.

You have more to worry about with the top end valve guides and clogged emission ports than you do bearing failure. The 993 engine is a pretty stout beast, at least in the lower end. So, drive it.

I used to be one of those guys that would enshrine my cars and only drive it when the temperature and humidity were guaranteed to be ideal, garaged and covered it whenever possible. Then 5 or so years later I would sell it for a nicer car.

The problem with that is I was hardly using the car and paying a lot of money in depreciation just so I could preserve a nice car for the next owner. The cost per mile was very high and the enjoyment factor was too sparse.

Now I just drive my car everywhere in rain and shine. I take very good care of my car, but I don't bite my nails about road and weather conditions and the 10% low miles premium I used to get selling my cars has been cashed in for daily fun and it's worth every penny.

With ordinary care your engine's bearings should last 100's of thousands of miles. So I would not let that rob you of your driving pleasure.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:13 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Marv: That's the spirit and certainly what the above noted editors advised. Now what this I hear about forgetting a certain 96 Arena Red 993??

Jack
Old 06-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

If my car sits for two weeks or more I pop out the DME, crank until oil pressure, and then put it back in and start the car. That way I know the oil is "around". Taking out the DME is good sense since it also shuts off the fuel pump so you are not squirting fuel into the cylinders.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by pedsurg
Marv: ...Now what this I hear about forgetting a certain 96 Arena Red 993??
Jack
Well, I wonder who has it now, but...

If you really want an answer to that question, get a GT3 on loan for a day or two and the answer becomes obvious.

However, I do miss the gang here!
Old 06-11-2007, 08:12 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Mike: Is there any downside to cranking without the DME??

Jack
Old 06-11-2007, 08:21 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car sat for months in the body shop without being started. When we fired it up all we had to do was charge the battery over night and it started like it was never off.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:49 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mike: Is there any downside to cranking without the DME??

Jack
Not that I know of other than a bit of starter wear and load on the battery. I don't do it all the time but only when the engine has sat for a while.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-12-2007, 07:43 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Mike. Is "for a while 2, 3, or 3 weeks.

What about everyone else. Is this the our best option for dealing with "dry starts"

Jack
Old 06-13-2007, 02:48 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Mike. Is "for a while 2, 3, or 3 weeks.

What about everyone else. Is this the our best option for dealing with "dry starts"

Jack
If I know the car will be sitting for more than a few days I plug in the battery maintainer (since these cars draw current even when parked). If the car has been sitting for over 10 days I do the DME trick. Its also gut feel and time ; if my gut tells me I had better get the oil pressure up first then I do it. Its not a hard and fast rule..

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: dry start conundrum