RS shift rod - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 12:42 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts
Default RS shift rod - thoughts?

I am interested in replacing my Flex-O-Mat shift rod with the RS unit (964.424.020.35). Just because. And to gain a more direct shift feel. At times, during a hurried downshift in a tight corner, I've had difficulty engaging a lower gear - and know that this may be due to a number of factors.

I've read all the threads pertaining to this in both the 964 & 993 boards but am looking for any other thoughts, positive or negative. My car already makes enough odd noises and vibrations - a bit more through the stick will not hurt.

Andreas
Old 06-05-2007, 01:30 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have the rod but there have been several posts about replacing rubber with washers resulting in close to the improvement of the rod but at a fraction of the cost. I personally would go this way and some day will probably do that. I do have the RS short shifter and motor mounts and shifting is improved over stock.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the plunge and bought the RS rod and installed it the same time I installed the RS shift lever. (And I suspect it cost a bit less then).

While it is expensive I am very pleased with results. The big "stirring" action of the shifter is completely gone and the shifts are smooth and tight. Probably in the top 3 mods I have made, after suspension and LWF.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The difference between the RS shifter and the regular shifhter is large. The difference between the RS shift rod and a worn out C2 rod is almost as large. The difference between the RS shift rod and a new C2 rod is noticable, but not as large as when worn. Personally, I like both mods, but if I had to choose, the $60 RS shifter is a no brainer. The $400 RS shift rod causes me to think a little. But then I'm cheap.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where can I find the RS Shifter for $60?
The following users liked this post:
Paolo1 (08-18-2021)
Old 06-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I recently had the RS shifter installed in my car. The main thing that I notice about the shifter is that it sits higher. It seems a bit shorter, but, honestly, I was very happy with the stock shifter and almost never had any issues with finding the right gear. (Ever tried a 915 tranny or even a 3.2 G50 tranny? Those are shifters in need of serious precision.) The only exceptions were downshifting for VIR's oak tree and skipping gears. If I downshifted from 4-3-2 as opposed to 4-2, I would sometimes not be able to find second gear. Of course, this is before I switched over to solid motor mounts, so maybe they would have helped.

For $400, I think my money is better spent on a cool shirt, onboard fire suppression system, new Fikse wheels, Hoosiers, etc.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:45 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts. At the moment, I'm fine with the throw lengths but would just like to enhance the direct feel. I intend to inspect all bushings for wear as well.

My 993 came with the RS shift ****, which I presume is a friction fit over the lever, rather than a set-screw affair. If I were to someday opt for the RS lever & fork, is there any reason not to machine the lever to regain the original **** height?

Andreas
Old 06-05-2007, 02:02 PM
hidden impact
Instructor

i personally went this route, but many have indicated the same effect by replacing the washers on the bolts holding the rod like TroyN said. the difference was well worth the effort.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:05 PM
avidtest
Racer

I am very interested in doing either this mod or using the shim/nut/washers that Alon posted about back in 05. I recently did the RS short shifter install, but w/out the rod, and I am not entirely satisfied. This in conjuction w/ RS motor mounts will hopefully get me where I want to be.

I did a search in hopes of seeing pics of Alon's mod and didn't find any. Hopefully I'm missing something. If there are pics anyone knows about, please point those of us w/ an interest in the right direction.

In the meantime, Hidden Impact, where did you get the urethane and do you remember the thickness? I'm very close to San Diego, so could pick a piece up from you if you have any left over.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Washers are easily added ( pics here ) to gauge the effect: if you like it, leave them in as I have .... or proceed on to more sophisticated solutions.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:30 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Caution - thread hijack in progress! I am having a LWF installed and decided to have the shift linkage updated at the same time. BUT I went with the B&M kit rather then the RS - total kit is about $210 and my mechanic says he has had better luck with these in street and track applications. Kinda late to ask now, but any thoughts about the B&M kit?
Old 06-05-2007, 05:37 PM
hidden impact
Instructor

Originally Posted by avidtest
I am very interested in doing either this mod or using the shim/nut/washers that Alon posted about back in 05. I recently did the RS short shifter install, but w/out the rod, and I am not entirely satisfied. This in conjuction w/ RS motor mounts will hopefully get me where I want to be.

I did a search in hopes of seeing pics of Alon's mod and didn't find any. Hopefully I'm missing something. If there are pics anyone knows about, please point those of us w/ an interest in the right direction.

In the meantime, Hidden Impact, where did you get the urethane and do you remember the thickness? I'm very close to San Diego, so could pick a piece up from you if you have any left over.
shannon, i'll have to check around. the piece i managed to find was "scrap" but i'll let you know if i find any this weekend when i visit the 'rents. i'm not sure exactly the thickness, but i think the easiest thing to do is install the washers in order to tighten the connection.

check:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...90#post3507990

BTW: i love the b&m kit. no grinding in any gear as others have experienced.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:28 PM
CraigC
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AB,
I wonder if you could use a plastic cutting board sold at Wal Mart for next to nothing. I have one in my kitchen that looks to be a similar material. It might not be the right thickness but a few washers or doubleing up the plastic material would probably work and its a heack of a lot cheaper than the $300 RS shift rod from Porsche.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Mark in Balt, the RS shifter does sit higher. I left it that way for a while then cut an inch or so off and like it even more. Right at or a tad lower than the stock shifter. Others have done the same.

Should have taken a picture of the RS rod for reference, but in case you didn't know it has a small sealed bearing universal joint in place of the flexible rubber disc. Precise little thing and probably pretty expensive to make......
Old 06-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks, Sumtoc. I've gotten used to it but may modify it later.

Quick Reply: RS shift rod - thoughts?