993 Forum 1995-1998

I've been rear ended...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 06:29 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Angry I've been rear ended...

Here I was at a traffic light waiting for it to go green. As soon as it did, and as I was about to put the car in gear, the Suburban right behind me decided that it was not going to wait for me to take off.

I felt the car lunge forward as my head hit the head rest and I hear this awful sound. I looked on my rear view mirror only to see a grill with a big Chevrolet logo on it.

Still confused, in a daze and not believing that had just happened, I step out of the car and walk around to find this much damage.

The two front hooks on the Suburban missed my bumper stops by an inch, and did the most damage, the bumper then proceeded to break the center stop and bent the engine lid.

Of course... there was ZERO damage to the truck, you could barely see white paint on his chrome bumper that scraped right off.

I'm getting an estimate tomorrow from his insurance company. Besides the dimished value deal, is there anything else I need to be concerned with?

Here is my no longer "superior" ***...
Attached Images      
Old 05-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bummer! I hate f**king SUVs!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:52 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

**** **** ****! The only good news I can think of at the moment is that one your ok, and its all bolt-on stuff.
Sorry to see this!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Reynard38
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cabio993,

Man what a bummer! Fortunately you weren't hurt and the damage did not reach to the engine. I can't stand SUV's, and the Suburban and the Ford "Excretion" are the worst offenders.
I think my neck would be getting sore about now...
Find one of those landsharks with a ponytail!
Old 05-30-2007, 06:56 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm hearing euro rear bumper?
Old 05-30-2007, 06:58 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best news is that you've already got the photos showing the full extent of the damage. Was there a police report? If not, that's also good news as this shouldn't show up on your Carfax. Best thing to do if you ever decide to sell is to be totally upfront with a potential buyer (and his paint gauge!) If you're armed with these pics and all related repair invoices (using Porsche parts) I don't think you'll be that bad off.

It's too bad you can't kick their *** a bit, then politely ask for their insurance info...
Old 05-30-2007, 07:07 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Thanks for the responses and moral support.

Good news is that so far his insurance company has reasured me that they'll take care of this 100% and that I can chose to take the car anywhere I please. So it will be repaired by the top body shop here in Atlanta and that it will be done right.

There was no police report even though we called 911. The officer came out and he said that he couldn't write a report since the accident happened at the traffic light of the mall parking lot. Being private property, is not in their jurisdiction.

And yes...Euro bumper has crossed my mind... I'm actually on Gert's web site right now. He doesn't have a separate option for just the rear bumper, just the front or both. I need to e-mail him...
Old 05-30-2007, 07:07 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What an *******. Mistakes happen but mano that would **** me off. Really disappointing to see the car banged up. Hope they (he-she-kid??) apologized profusely. Hang in there, time heals all wounds----even with the beloved 993.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:36 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

DAMN IT!! What the F@%K! is wrong with people! So many F#%KIN! imbeciles on the roads today it's absurd. I hawk my rearview mirror when I'm at stoplights for this very reason and try to maintain a few feet of cushion so I can scoot up if they get too close. But the sum-muh-muh-bitches **** me off when I scoot up and THEY scoot forward too, like some Pavlovian dog! And trust me, EVERYBODY sees you when you're driving one of these. Take your baby to the best damn body shop in the STATE and have her tended too, post haste. If it was man in the SUV, he deserves an *** kicking. If it was a woman, she deserves to be told her *** and thighs are FAT, and she has pre-mature wrinkles. Don't mean to sound so harsh, but I'm really fed up with the number of bonfide idiots roaming the planet these days.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Cabrio,

This sux big time... good luck in getting the car fix.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:44 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts
Bummer! I hate f**king SUVs!
Every tried heading through the mountians with 2 feet of fresh snow on the roads or venture into the backroads of Yosmite in your Porsche? Me neither.

SUV's, like Porsches, are lifestyle vehicles. Dont hate them. :cool

**** happens, accidents happen, live on. Lifes to short to hate.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:46 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Every tried heading through the mountians with 2 feet of fresh snow on the roads or venture into the backroads of Yosmite in your Porsche? Me neither.

SUV's, like Porsches, are lifestyle vehicles. Dont hate them. :cool
+2

It's not the SUV's (I have one) it's the lobotimzed fool behind the wheel!
Old 05-30-2007, 07:52 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
+2

It's not the SUV's (I have one) it's the lobotimzed fool behind the wheel!
I agree.

Thats why I keep things green and work out of the house and use video conferencing as my travel mechanism. Driving is only for pleasure in my case, for the most part.

I can go from zero to 2000 miles in about .07 seconds over IP.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:56 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by FLYT993
DAMN IT!! What the F@%K! is wrong with people! So many F#%KIN! imbeciles on the roads today it's absurd. I hawk my rearview mirror when I'm at stoplights for this very reason and try to maintain a few feet of cushion so I can scoot up if they get too close. But the sum-muh-muh-bitches **** me off when I scoot up and THEY scoot forward too, like some Pavlovian dog! And trust me, EVERYBODY sees you when you're driving one of these. Take your baby to the best damn body shop in the STATE and have her tended too, post haste. If it was man in the SUV, he deserves an *** kicking. If it was a woman, she deserves to be told her *** and thighs are FAT, and she has pre-mature wrinkles. Don't mean to sound so harsh, but I'm really fed up with the number of bonfide idiots roaming the planet these days.
I hear you brother!!!

The driver was a guy in his 50's. His pre-teen son was with him. When I approached him to ask him what had happened. He blamed his kid. He said that he got distracted talking to him while the light was red and when he saw the light turn green, he just went and didn't see me. My car is low...but not that low!

I was keeping my cool as I understand that accidents happen. But he got out of the car and said that he would just pay for the center light and not the bumper as he claimed it was that way from a previous accident that I must have had. I couldn't believe my ears.

He doesn't apologizes, then he blames his son, and then he is trying to tell me that he didn't do the damage. Pleeeease... Don't ask me how I kept it together, I must be growing up I guess...

At the end, he did acknowledge that he had done the damage after I pointed out all the beautiful Grand Prix white paint all over his rusted front hooks and chrome bumper. He then apologized and called his insurance company on the spot. He has even followed up with me a couple of times and apologized over and over.

I have my appointment with the adjuster tomorrow...
Old 05-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Sergio,

This dude might be passive agressive.... I can't believe that he would try to pull "the dammage was there" card... I would get in touch with his insurance co. right away and I hope you know of a good body shop that understand and specialized in P-cars. Ask me how I know...

You have a PM.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: I've been rear ended...