Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I've been rear ended...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:25 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

In addition to the Euro Bumper, I'd be thinking about the need for a new factory Turbo engine to go along with a complete "widening" of the rear. You did hit your head, and, more importantly he was an a$$ about it initially.
Seriously though, don't forget to get your head checked out on his tab, and do not be suprised if your neck hurts tomorrow (seriously - I can guarantee that your body tried to react to protect your head). I would definitely suggest some ibuprofen (800mg tonight and tomorrow morning) if you have no other medical reason not to take it.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:02 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 409 Posts

Be thankful that the guy had insurance. Here in San Antonio, upwards of 30% of the vehicles don't have insurance and you're just SOL when one of them hits you. (No surprise that the uninsured account for the majority of the accidents, too.)

OTOH, the driver is a miserable role model for his kid. First reaction is to deny and then blame the boy? With the boy watching/hearing the whole thing?? What a jackass. Feel sorry for the boy to have a father that he can only look down on. My father would have rather died a thousand deaths before he'd have done that. Hope the guy's wife kicked his *** three times- once for being a crappy driver and a second and third time for being a crappy father. Then she needs to kick her own *** for agreeing to marry this idiot and bear his children. Rant over

I'd say your claim is going to close in on $10K including diminished value. Good luck.

-Jim
Old 05-30-2007, 10:03 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Sorry to see the damage. Hopefully everything will work out in your favor.

As for the driver and his reaction, what an ***!

Andreas
Old 05-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
SUV's, like Porsches, are lifestyle vehicles. Dont hate them. :cool

Lifes to short to hate.
The only part I agree with here is that life's to short to hate.

I stand firmly anti-SUV. 95 percent of the people driving them do not need them. They are dangerously big, suck fossil fuel, and tear the **** out of roads.

An Audi, Volvo, or many other European sedans do fine in the snow. I used to put chains on my Alfa Romeo Milano and pass SUVs through the snow. Hell, I used to drive my 1962 MGB in snow with no chains.

If they are so damn necessary, why aren't the roads in Europe clogged with them like they are here?

95 C4, you may be one of the 5 percent who really need one, not trying to pick a fight with you.

But IMHO giant SUVs are the reason Detroit is failing and US servicemen are dying in Iraq.

Didn't mean to get so off topic....jerks in SUVs just set me off.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:21 PM
allill
Drifting

Good you're ok. All that stuff is easily repairable bolt on. I would opt for a euro bumper w/o bumperettes and if you want a spoiler now is the time. Once all that is replaced nobody will know it was hit. Bumpers get fixed and or replaced all the time as do lights. I wouldn't worry about this too much as long as the shop is trusted.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:32 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you were not hurt!!! Sorry to see your "***" not looking to good - so to speak. Best of luck with the repair. She'll be good as new soon enough.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:46 PM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=cabrio993]I hear you brother!!!

I was keeping my cool as I understand that accidents happen. But he got out of the car and said that he would just pay for the center light and not the bumper as he claimed it was that way from a previous accident that I must have had. I couldn't believe my ears.

He doesn't apologizes, then he blames his son, and then he is trying to tell me that he didn't do the damage. Pleeeease... Don't ask me how I kept it together, I must be growing up I guess...

I hope you effin laughed right in his sorry face! Anyway, it looks like everything will turn out OK. Your car should not suffer from loss of value since it appears no major damage occurred...just keep it all documented and you should be fine.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:54 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by allill
Good you're ok. All that stuff is easily repairable bolt on. I would opt for a euro bumper w/o bumperettes and if you want a spoiler now is the time. Once all that is replaced nobody will know it was hit. Bumpers get fixed and or replaced all the time as do lights. I wouldn't worry about this too much as long as the shop is trusted.
+1. It's just a bumper and not a big deal. You can either get pissed and curse away or be grateful that it was just a bumper and not an SUV that ran a red and t-boned you. There has always been and always will be careless/negligent/dumb people out there and accidents happen. That's what insurance is for. No sense in passing judgement on SUVs either. Lots of people own them and like them. It just is what it is. Look for a good shop and it'll be as good as new before you know it. The turbo bumper upgrade will be a nice bonus.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry 'bout your car, brother. Lots o' lousy drivers around these parts, eh?

I had a pickup graze my tail a couple of months ago. Fortunately, it buffed right out.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:01 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear of your misfortune cabrio. It sucks when something happens to the 993. Get if fixed right and get back on the road. Too bad that some people can't handle being accountable for there mistakes. It is a lot easier in the end just to admit to it and apologize that be a jerk about it. People never cease to amaze me. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:30 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That absolutely sucks man - I can relate, it happened to me last week. If I were you, I'd make sure there is no unseen damage to the engine/mechanicals... everything is back there, have your mechanic look it over really well as soon as you can.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:37 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry this happened but it appears to be easily fixed.
Can't believe the guy tried to blame his kid. Nice Dad.
I was almost hit from behind today by a guy in a Tahoe who was right on my butt as we pulled away from the light. As I shifted into second, he almost hit me. At the next light, he pulled up next to me and started yelling something about how I slowed down on purpose, blah, blah, blah. As we pulled away from the light and I made my 1st to 2nd shift, he seemed to take notice. At the next light, he spoke again, this time saying he didn't realize I was driving a stick shift. I never said a word to the idiot.
Again, sorry about the damage but it should look good as new when done.
chuck
Old 05-30-2007, 11:38 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all your good thoughts and messages. You guys make me feel better.

Anyone wants to take a guess on how much this will run?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:56 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Thanks for all your good thoughts and messages. You guys make me feel better.

Anyone wants to take a guess on how much this will run?
Minimum six G's for the repairs (at least $2500 just for parts). 4 to 5 for the diminished value no matter if it shows up on carfax or not. You'll also need a mechanic to go over any hidden damage to exhaust, engine, etc.

Remind the insurance company that you're saving them a bunch on not needing a rental and no PI. DON'T sign off on no PI until AFTER everything is taken care of- it's part of your leverage.

-Jim
Old 05-31-2007, 12:04 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
Minimum six G's for the repairs (at least $2500 just for parts). 4 to 5 for the diminished value no matter if it shows up on carfax or not. You'll also need a mechanic to go over any hidden damage to exhaust, engine, etc.

Remind the insurance company that you're saving them a bunch on not needing a rental and no PI. DON'T sign off on no PI until AFTER everything is taken care of- it's part of your leverage.

-Jim
Thanks, good info and good point about the rental. What is "PI"?

Quick Reply: I've been rear ended...