Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I've been rear ended...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:13 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 409 Posts

PI=Personal Injury. Sometimes refered to as "BI", Bodily Injury. Don't ever say that you have no injuries, even if they take a recorded interview. Simply say that you don't have any problems at this time, but may have a doctor check you out. Do this all the way up to signing the release. If you say that you have no injuries, you have no leverage and likely to be out of luck if something crops up in a couple of weeks. Be honest, but don't give away anything prematurely because the insurance company sure isn't.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:25 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
PI=Personal Injury. Sometimes refered to as "BI", Bodily Injury. Don't ever say that you have no injuries, even if they take a recorded interview. Simply say that you don't have any problems at this time, but may have a doctor check you out. Do this all the way up to signing the release. If you say that you have no injuries, you have no leverage and likely to be out of luck if something crops up in a couple of weeks. Be honest, but don't give away anything prematurely because the insurance company sure isn't.
Thanks Jimbo. Good tip. I'll follow your advise.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:12 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts
The only part I agree with here is that life's to short to hate.

I stand firmly anti-SUV. 95 percent of the people driving them do not need them. They are dangerously big, suck fossil fuel, and tear the **** out of roads.

An Audi, Volvo, or many other European sedans do fine in the snow. I used to put chains on my Alfa Romeo Milano and pass SUVs through the snow. Hell, I used to drive my 1962 MGB in snow with no chains.

If they are so damn necessary, why aren't the roads in Europe clogged with them like they are here?

95 C4, you may be one of the 5 percent who really need one, not trying to pick a fight with you.

But IMHO giant SUVs are the reason Detroit is failing and US servicemen are dying in Iraq.

Didn't mean to get so off topic....jerks in SUVs just set me off.
I hear ya man. Personally, I would downsize if my 125lb lab died, I quit taking weekend getaways with the family to the parks around Utah, stopped snowboarding, and doing a little off road ventures. Im actually looking at the Subaru Outback XT LTD---got the Turbo off course. I call them Mountain Porsche's. But will still keep the SUV.

Dont pick a fight with me. I kick *** !!!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:39 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aw frig man!
There seem to be a spate of 'dingers' going on right now, seemingly. You DON'T appear to be the only one, on this forum at least, who has had their a$$ molested.

I feel for you, I really do.

I'd reckon at least six 'boxes of ziti' (to coin a Soprano's phrase).

Although his insurance co. said that they would cover 100% -- I would STILL be wary and keep your 'bull**** antenna' up and ready. At the end of the day HE hit YOU - HIS insurance co. gets to pay up for HIS stupidity -- YOU, on the other hand, YOUR part of the deal should be a 100% repaired-to-the-nines car.

Gerry
Old 05-31-2007, 02:25 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya think you worry about it in your favorite P-car? Try riding a bike, motorized or pedalled, and see how "invisible" you become. Twice I've had to run my Harley up on the curb to avoid an idiot that apparently "didn't see me" sitting at a light or waiting for the right-of-way to make a turn. Its a jungle out there anymore. All I can do is offer my sincere sympathy and just repeat that it isn't that much damage and you weren't hurt, so it will be okay.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:33 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Cabrio...

Keep us posted on how this turns out. And if this jackass gives you any more lip, I'm sure there would be a few of us here who would stand in line (after you) to beat his ***.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:39 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As some of you know I was involved in a strikingly similar incident last week - I'm meeting with the appraiser from the other driver's insurance company tomorrow, anyone have any advice? I assume the guy will attempt to minimize the damage and give a ridiculously low estimate...
Old 05-31-2007, 05:56 PM
NOH20
Racer

Originally Posted by Jack of Hearts
The only part I agree with here is that life's to short to hate.

I stand firmly anti-SUV. 95 percent of the people driving them do not need them. They are dangerously big, suck fossil fuel, and tear the **** out of roads.

An Audi, Volvo, or many other European sedans do fine in the snow. I used to put chains on my Alfa Romeo Milano and pass SUVs through the snow. Hell, I used to drive my 1962 MGB in snow with no chains.

If they are so damn necessary, why aren't the roads in Europe clogged with them like they are here?

95 C4, you may be one of the 5 percent who really need one, not trying to pick a fight with you.

But IMHO giant SUVs are the reason Detroit is failing and US servicemen are dying in Iraq.

Didn't mean to get so off topic....jerks in SUVs just set me off.

Your not serious are you? Since I work in the automotive industry in Detroit I take offense to your comments. SUV's are built because there is a little thing called "customer demand" for them.. Why do you think Porsche, Mercedes, Honda, Toyota etc., build them?? There's a market for the product in the USA and therefore, the american and foreign car manufacturers build them.

Detroit is hurting because of the legacy costs they are stuck with. They got themselves into the mess and they have to get themselves out. There are other issues as well but building sport utilities is not the main reason.

Our soldiers are dying in Iraq to keep our country safe from terrorists. If it was all about oil why wouldn't we just occupy Iraq and take the oil fields from them and the Saudi's and Kuwait etc. Do you think we don't have the ability to do so? If you do, you are certainly mistaken.

The USA is not the only pig that sucks fossil fuel. Check out the Arab Emirates and other foreign lands.

Sorry to hear about your car. Don't blame the SUV, it didn't drive itself into your P-car. The bone head behind the wheel did.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:01 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Update:

I just came back from the insurance adjuster.

Basically it is...
Parts: - Calls for OEM parts and brand new parts only to be used.
- Bumper: $1,474.59
- Right Bumper stop: $106.34
- Right Energy Absorber: $141.25
- Center light: $353.36
- "Carrera" Logo: $23.36

Labor:
- Repair Engine Lid
- Remove Cab Top
- Repaint bumper, lid, spoiler and right/left quarter panel (so all paint will blend)

Total labor hours: 23.3 hours
Total paint hours: 8.3 hours
Total Labor & paint: $1403.

Total: $3673.47

I took the car to the body shop and they are ordering all parts before I take the car in.

On the diminished value, they have a formula for this.

Value of car according to NADA : $31,425.00
Percentage based on a multiplier: 0.25
Diminished value : $365.00

Georgia Diminished Value Multiplier works like this:

1% : Severe Damage, Replacement of 5 or more structural assemblies
.75% : Major Damage, Replacement of 3 to 4 structural assemblies, replacement of 5 or more panels
.5%: Moderate Damage, Replacement of 1 to 2 structural assemblies, rep. of 3 to 4 panels
.25%: Minor, All structural components are repairable, replacement of up to 2 panels
0%: Minimal, no structural damage, no replaced panels

Last edited by cabrio993; 05-31-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:04 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by NOH20
Sorry to hear about your car. Don't blame the SUV, it didn't drive itself into your P-car. The bone head behind the wheel did.
Hey..hold your horses buddy...where in my comments do you see me blaming the SUV? Or bitching about SUVs? I just stated the fact that it was an SUV that hit me.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:10 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by pcar964
As some of you know I was involved in a strikingly similar incident last week - I'm meeting with the appraiser from the other driver's insurance company tomorrow, anyone have any advice? I assume the guy will attempt to minimize the damage and give a ridiculously low estimate...
Hey Pcar, sorry to hear that. The only advise that I can give you is that if there is a part that they think they can re-use or wasn't damage, they won't replace it.

In my case, since only one of the 2 bumper stops got damaged, they are replacing just one. I told them that I was concerned that one will look brand new, while the other may look a bit faded.

The adjuster then told me that they could always break the good one by accident when they remove it from the car or find unseen damage (wink-wink) and that they will pay for the 2nd one as well. He then said that even if there was a scratch on it, that he can include it on the estimate, but that he couldn't just replace it just so it would match with the other one.

The body shop told me that they always have "problems" removing these anyways and that they'll order the pair.

Last edited by cabrio993; 05-31-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:43 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 684 Likes on 409 Posts

Cabrio- Is the repair shop one that YOU picked or one that the insurance company chose? You are entitled to choose the shop.

Also, seriously, the GA diminished value formula is off by about two decimal places. At that rate, a "Severely Damaged" typical two year old vehicle (assume NADA of $30K) is now supposed to supposed to sell for $300 less than a similar one that hasn't been hit? What are they smoking over there? $3000 would be alot closer, and even then you'd be hard pressed to find a taker.

-Jim
Old 05-31-2007, 09:33 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by jimbo3
Cabrio- Is the repair shop one that YOU picked or one that the insurance company chose? You are entitled to choose the shop.

Also, seriously, the GA diminished value formula is off by about two decimal places. At that rate, a "Severely Damaged" typical two year old vehicle (assume NADA of $30K) is now supposed to supposed to sell for $300 less than a similar one that hasn't been hit? What are they smoking over there? $3000 would be alot closer, and even then you'd be hard pressed to find a taker.

-Jim
Yes, this is the shop I picked. I was there today and the place was filled with Ferrari's and Porsches being worked on. They are top notch.

On the formula, I don't think that is a straight percentage formula. For example. I got $365 for the lowest level of damage. The DV value in my case was .25 for "light" damage. $365 is more close to 1% that .25%, I think as the rating goes up, there are accelerating factors in the formula.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:49 PM
ledd4u
Banned

I sent you a pm. Make sure they replace all the lights in the back or they will not match. They all need to be new if not you will have a color deviation and will be noticeable from the rear.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:16 PM
NOH20
Racer

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Hey..hold your horses buddy...where in my comments do you see me blaming the SUV? Or bitching about SUVs? I just stated the fact that it was an SUV that hit me.
Not directed towards you per se. I am sorry to hear about your car. Best of luck getting her fixed.

Quick Reply: I've been rear ended...