Clutch slave replace/bleed problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 05:30 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Clutch slave replace/bleed problem

Just replaced my clutch slave - pretty frustrating but not awful (though I'm not done yet...). Bled the slave but the pedal will now only go about half-way down, and it's very stiff. First time it went to the floor and stayed. Does this sound like I just need to keep bleeding? From my search it seems the clutch going to the floor is a typical sign but I didn't see any posts indicating the clutch not going all the way down. Help!
Old 05-28-2007, 05:44 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Troy,
I've been there.

Did you use a mirror to see whether the slave push rod was correctly positioned in the cup of the release arm? The rectangular rubber access cover is just under where the slave mounts (driver's side of housing).

There is a chance that you may have positioned the push rod such that it slipped past the 'cup' and the resistance you are feeling is the push rod shaft grating against the side of the release arm.

Andreas
Old 05-28-2007, 05:46 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Two different possibilities, the first being of most importance:
one-- pedal doesnt go all the way to the floor; the slave 'rod' may not be placed correctly in the 'ball' of the T/O arm which can result in the slave spitting its guts out --

two-- pedal falls to the floor and stays there; simple issue -- need to reblead the system with the brake fluid reservoir filled to the very top as the clutch circuit fluid pick-up point is located much higher in the reservoir than that of the brake circuit pick-up point

First, I would remove the rubber window inspection plug located near the slave mounting and have a look with a mirror and light to verify slave rod placement.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:49 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Chris,
The funny thing is, I "hunt & peck"!

Andreas
Old 05-28-2007, 05:51 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was hoping I wouldn't have to take the darn slave off, but I'll go check that nifty window, didn't realize it was rubber. Thanks! I'll report back...
Old 05-28-2007, 05:52 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Chris,
The funny thing is, I "hunt & peck"!

Andreas
You beat me to it -- and I dont hunt and peck
Old 05-29-2007, 12:54 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I officially change my rating from "not awful" to "awful", this was maybe the worst DIY I've done so far, worse than changing out spark plug wires. As noted above (thanks!) it was that the plunger had not engaged the arm and did indeed blow out. I didn't realize this as I was pulling it out and ended up getting a face-ful (eye, nose, mouth) of brake fluid. As I started to the kitchen the fluid in my mouth started getting hot, at which point I got my *** in high gear. Interesting trivia - brake fluid burns in your mouth, hmm.

@$%#^! What a frickin' mess this was! I can still smell brake fluid. I had some trouble with the overflow tube at the fluid reservoir too. In the clutch bleed write-up it didn't mention this, though it's mentioned in the brake bleed DIY. Nice.

Anyway, now that I've removed and installed the darn thing twice, I am pretty good at feeling around and working with it without being able to see, and with basically only one hand at a time. I need a lift, I'm sore.

Thanks Chris and Andreas.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:34 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Troy,
Here's my experience from last year: clutch slave.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Clutch slave replace/bleed problem