Sponsored by:

Targa top repair help needed Mike J?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 01:24 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Targa top repair help needed Mike J?

So I went to start the targa top drive cable replacement, today with a repair kit from Sunset.
What a freakin' nightmare
Anyway. . . I cannot figure out how to get the tracks out.
I spent 9 hours today trying to get just one track out. It seems they want you to pull the whole top, and I mean the whole top, not the glass, but take the whole roof off like Mike J did to replace the cables.
Does anyone have any info on this? Is there a way to replace the cables without taking the whole track out?
I have the relevant parts of the manual but they are borderline useless when it comes to pulling out the tracks.
Also, my old slider things are metal and the ones Sunset sent are plastic and slightly different shaped.
Anyone know if there is part update on the cable/slider mechanism? I want to make sure I have the latest version
-Andrew
Old 05-26-2007, 01:59 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a whole bunch of pictures I took of the bottom of the roof etc that might help you but they are high resolution. PM me your preferred email address and I will mail them to you...you might see something that would trigger an "aha".

I think you are in uncharted waters...I have not changed out the cables so I don't know what is involved. I don't know anyone who has. I do know that the technition training covers a lot of this but its not documented...its Porsche's way of keeping it in house.

Have you removed the large sliding roof section? How about all the inside trim pieces etc? That would clear a lot of room for working.

When I had the roof out there was better access but I would be suprised if the cables could not be replaced while the roof is glued to the car. Removing the roof is a $#)($*# fustrating excercise and you run a high risk of scratching paint so I would only do that as a last resort (and that is with the experience of doing it).

I have not looked at the details of replacing the cables...do you have to really remove the tracks? By tracks you mean the tracks that are bolted/glued to the metal frame of the roof?

I will PM you my phone number if you want to talk about it. That might flush out some ideas.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-26-2007, 02:07 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks mike Ill PM you. For everyone else, Ill end up with A DIY at some point
-Andrew

Quick Reply: Targa top repair help needed Mike J?