Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cassette tapes holder.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:40 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Brilliant, brilliant! Keep 'em coming...
Old 05-26-2007, 09:11 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
Can someone tell me how to top up the radiator please?
Sure, in the engine compartment on the right side, you'll see a large cap that is marked OEL, which means "Open for Engine Liquid".
Old 05-26-2007, 09:20 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the warning light that stays on until 5mph letting you know that there is a spoiler in the back... why does that thing come on? the spoiler can be up or down when you drive the car, no problem.... so why the warning light? and it has no bearing to whether it is up/down, whatever... everytime someone rides with me, they ask about that red spoiler warning light and I have to tell them it will go off once we start moving.... WHY?
Old 05-26-2007, 10:59 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The spoiler light is actually for the contol module that gauges the speed of the car. If it isn't working and the spoiler dosen't rise, engine cooling isn't efficent as the spoiler also "catches" air and directs it down into the engine compartment.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:11 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ron_dargenio
Sure, in the engine compartment on the right side, you'll see a large cap that is marked OEL, which means "Open for Engine Liquid".
Thanks. I'll get to it later today. Distilled water only.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:43 AM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this a German Engineering thread! The mirror location makes a lot of sense compared to these 964 observations. (Since my first ever 993 is awaiting a shipper in CA you'll have to tell me if these have all been fixed on the 993)

- When I close the driver's door I hear the satisfying and, at first confusing, clink of a little flap closing back behind the rear wheel where the air pressure is relieved

- The vent tube that releases battery acid gas and vapor is positioned to drip right over the resistor on the A/C fan so it disintentegrates every few years
Old 05-26-2007, 12:08 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

There's no key hole on the passenger side, so if you buy a bumperplugs cap for both sides, you end up with an extra.

Actual conversation with bumperplugs:
Me: "I'd like to order 2 plugs for the locks for my 993 in arctic silver."
B.P.: "Are you certain you want 2?"
Me: "Yes, I want one for each side."
B.P: "Are you sure you can use one on both sides."
Me: "Yes!"

1 week later on arrival of package when I finally walked over to the passenger side - "DOH!"
Old 05-26-2007, 12:26 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pedals are mounted on the floor and the cover is made of plywood.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quirky is a car that you can take 4 hours or more to change spark plugs, with innumerable socket extensions, with a difficulty level that reaches a point where some people just give up on the 12th plug while you can remove both front headlight assembly without tools in less than 45 seconds.

Im sure the designer who came up with the headlight mechanism has been fired.

I will give Porsche this though, it only took less than 30 years to move the positive terminal of the battery more than 3/8 inch away from the body. The basic concept of turning the battery 180 degrees was a monumentally huge engineering breakthrough, I am sure other auto manufacturers were stunned at the technology leap.

And those window switches. Man they are on top of it! The old ones with the contacts that broke off the back all the time- they fixed that design in just over 10 years! Maybe they will fix the rocking point where they break by 2010. Although it would probably ential actually talking to Bosch.

The 8 way power seat switches, now thats something they can get to later, they are just SO durable, maybe after they tackle the enormous engineering task of designing a superceding cockpit floorboard/footboard part.

And the air conditioning, another lightning fast solution to complaints from customers. It took them under 30 years to get a solution that cools the cockpit down better that a penguin blowing through a straw. Stunningly fast revision.

Can someone tell me what those indentations which look like they are for optional electrical accessory switches, are for? The ones on the dashboard, one next to the ignition and one next to the fog light/defroster switches, they have been around forever.

-Andrew
Old 05-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Locked doors activate a red light, while unlocked doors extinguish the light. Bizarre.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:07 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of doors when you close them doors there is this incredible CLUNG
sound that I`ve never experience with my Mazda ?????

Cheers Guy
Old 05-26-2007, 02:12 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Qs:
1) Why isn't the steering wheel centered on the seat?
2) I'm not understanding about the plug on the keys...I can unlock my car with key from both sides. But I'm '95 and don't have remote either...
Old 05-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

The beautifully designed switchblade key and the extra-durable rear spoiler strip. Oh, and the clicking driver door.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:06 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GabiOsz
The spoiler light is actually for the contol module that gauges the speed of the car. If it isn't working and the spoiler dosen't rise, engine cooling isn't efficent as the spoiler also "catches" air and directs it down into the engine compartment.
sorry, but that is a lot of "ifs".... still doesnt make sense in my mind... besides, if I leave my spoiler up and turn off the car, next time I turn the car back on the warning light still comes on... according to your logic if the spoiler was already up (guaranteed cooling to the engine), then there would be no need for the light to come on... but yet it does...

Quick Reply: Side mirrors not mounted symmetrically and other fun facts