Sponsored by:

Fitting Recaro Speed seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Doug49
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fitting Recaro Speed seat

I just spent the weekend trying to install a new Recaro Speed seat on the driver's side. Many fitment issues required modifying the seat and mounting hardware. But, for the life of me, I can't see how there is room between the seat hinge and the tunnel for the stock seatbelt stalk, regardless of mounting hardware. I've already cut off the adjustment **** and shaft and trimmed off a fair amount of the plastic hinge cover. For others with these seats, how do you attach a seatbelt? Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've installed a number of these in 993s. Yes this shaft and adjustment **** need to be completely gone on the inside. Remove the plastic hinge cover (you can not see this anyway against the tunnel) and there is a stud that the factory belt receptacle will fit over. Install the thin headed bolt to secure it in place. In addition, you can install a Brey Krause piece that will allow for snap in installation of a harness (if you are thinking of installing harnesses in the future, now is the time to put this in).
Old 05-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Doug49
Rennlist Member

Viperbob - thanks for the hints. I have been trying to attach the stock seatbelt stalk to a bracket fixed under the seat rail. This means the seat hinge would have to slide past it when installing the seat (and it just won't fit). I'll remove the remainder of the plastic hinge cover look at attaching it to the seat itself as you suggest. Will it fit with leaving the carpet on the tunnel, or will I have to strip off the carpet and insulation? Yes, I already have the Brey Krause part for the harness. That fits OK, it is the stock seatbelt stalk giving me trouble.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Doug49
Rennlist Member

I'm guessing I didn't understand Viberbob's suggestion right - I couldn't find the attachment point he was describing. But, I think I have found another place to attach a mounting bracket between the seat and the rail just in front of the hinge that will work for me. This solves the hinge clearance problem. All I have to do is figure out the final details of attaching the bracket there.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:58 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey ViperBob...have you any experience with the shorter BK piece for the snap in vs. the longer one?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:24 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Doug - If you want, give me a call and we can talk about it. My phone # is on my signature

JPS - Yes the shorter one was designed for seats with the dedicated side openings for the lap belts, but they work great for the standard no-fixed back seats. It makes it a little tougher to snap in and out, but worth it. The LONG BK bracket sticks up so high, that the snap is almost in your lap...
Old 05-02-2007, 10:58 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

VB...thx...so specifically with the Recaro Sport/Sport Toplines, you think the smaller ones would be better?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:17 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Doug, just finished my SRD install a few weeks ago. Here is how I solved the inboard seatbelt mount issue. Go to page 460 on this link to the PET and look for part 24 on the page. https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinf...SA_KATALOG.pdf
It will be Porsche part number 964 521 065 00. I bought these thinking that I could bolt them between the rail and the seat just like the factory did on the Speedster seats. Problem is the SRD sticks out too far past the rail for this piece to line up with any holes. So, I ended up having this piece welded to the top of the rail so as to just clear the edge of the seat. This piece works just like the mount found on your factory seat and uses the same bolt and washers you take off the factory seat. If you would like any more explanation, please let me know. I should have taken pictures of the rails with this piece welded on but didn't.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Doug49
Rennlist Member

Van1 - thanks, that's the same part I'm using. But it took me a long time to figure out where to mount it. I've now got it just in front of the seat hinge between the rail and the seat. I was able to get it bolted in and avoid welding. I did have to shim the seat 1/4 inch higher for bolt clearance. Too late tonight to actually get it in the car - tomorrow or Sat should be the last lap.

Quick Reply: Fitting Recaro Speed seat