993 aftermarket Carbon Fiber interior install - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Collins - 96 993TT
You are more than welcome!

GREAT NEWS! I exchanged e-mails with Marcus and he is more than willing to just send me the replacement parts. He said the ones I received were factory size, but did not even argue about simply sending me ones that are custom fit to my specs via measurement by cm's. What are great guy...

My friends, that's called great customer service in any language.

For those who want to order something from him, his e-mail is marcusbuehler911@web.de

Tell him I sent you. I am about to order more. :-)
I have been trying to email him for 3 days, it keeps getting bounced back.

I WANT SOME CF TRIM!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 01:03 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you like to borrow my bat phone? Commissioner? :-)

Let me check his e-mail address again...stay tuned.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:09 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here it is straight from his e-mail to me.

MarcusBuehler911@web.de

Good luck.

Robert
Old 01-19-2008, 03:34 AM
clubrsr993
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here it is straight from his e-mail to me.

MarcusBuehler911@web.de

Good luck.

Robert
That's strange I've never had any problems contacting him with the email addy. Keep trying I guess.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Me niether. His spam blocker or something must be working overtime
Old 01-20-2008, 02:17 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Robert,

I am having a problem with my headlight switch and since you R&R'd yours, i was hoping you could tell me what to do. For some reason, the entire headlight switch assembly is spinning in the dash when I try and turn the **** to turn on the headlightd. Could you tell me how the assy is retained in the dash so I can tighten it up?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:32 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

nevermind..........solved it myself today..........

headlight switch.......succesfully tightened......pop off the **** (you really need to pull on it)... the switch assembly is retained in the dash by something called a "rosette" which is a black ring around the outside of the assembly with 4 little holes in it. while holding the assembly from the little nub sticking out the middle where the light bulb goes with your fingers, turn the rosette (i stuck a little phillips head in there) until its tightened up......pop the **** back on (there is a little tab in the inside of the **** that you have to line up with the switch) and voila! good as new!
Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Robert, you did an excellent job on the instructions and the install is even better. You should feel very good about the effort and result.

I have the same CF/alum shifter and brake handle in my car and have complained about the greenish center console since I've owned the car. I think this may very well be the solution. The dash may be too much work for me at the present but I definitely want to look into some of the other parts.

On the subject of CF, have you seen the thread in the Carrera GT forum? I've been following it for some time now, and it is bizarre to say the least. I have CF in my 993 and my BMW with none of the issues being discussed there. The whole thread is an interesting read, but the photos on page 2 are especially telling. Some CF gurus are getting in on the discussion and I've learned quite a bit about CF manufacturing just reading it. Gotta feel for those owners though.

You'll need a beer for this one.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-supercars-carrera-gt-918-960/364648-yellowing-carbon-fiber.html
Old 01-23-2008, 02:39 AM
vernon
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Robert could tell me where you bought your steering wheel Thanks for such nice Post. Vernon.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:49 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

badabing,
glad you solved the headlight switch issue. good info for everyone else as I did not have that problem.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

autobonrun,
I have NOT seen that thread on the Carrera GT forum, but honestly it gives me a little peace of mind. You see, my install is completely reversible. If the stuff I purchased from Marcus turned yellow, I may call him and ask if he can fix it. Either way, the bottom line is if I hate the color it turns, all I have to to do is take it out if he won't replace it. Ye4s, I will be pissed that I paid for CF that yellowed, but my entire chassis is not ruined.

Man, that makes me feel for the entire Carrera GT community however. I hope Porsche finds a way to fix it. That could be some bad PR...
Old 01-24-2008, 01:56 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

vernon, i did not buy the steering wheel, the P.O. did. I am pretty sure he bought it from his local dealer though. It is the factory wheel from Porsche that only came on the 2000 996 Millenium edition 911, or something like that. I think that is right, but I know it is a factory part.

Robert
Old 01-26-2008, 06:16 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

autobonrun,
I have NOT seen that thread on the Carrera GT forum, but honestly it gives me a little peace of mind. You see, my install is completely reversible. If the stuff I purchased from Marcus turned yellow, I may call him and ask if he can fix it. Either way, the bottom line is if I hate the color it turns, all I have to to do is take it out if he won't replace it. Ye4s, I will be pissed that I paid for CF that yellowed, but my entire chassis is not ruined.

Man, that makes me feel for the entire Carrera GT community however. I hope Porsche finds a way to fix it. That could be some bad PR...
Likewise, I don't have any real concerns using the CF you mention. It really comes down to the manufacturer. Some users of different manufacturers have reported no problems at all with yellowing. It has a lot to do with exposure to direct sunlight. Now if I was buying the new BMW M3 that's coming out with the entire roof made of carbon fiber, I'd do some real investigation before I bought it.

The latest issue of Motor Trend has an article on the new ZR1. In it they say that the clear coat they use over their CF is $2k per gallon and the UV stabilizer stuff is $60k per gallon. The treatment only consists of 3% of the expensive stuff but maybe that's why Porsche hasn't been too quick to volunteer a recall on the CGT material. I'm not sure how many cars the $62k gallon will treat but I bet they put it pretty thin.

I think I'll just spread some sunblock on mine.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey guys, a fellow RLer asked me what I used to secure the CF to my interior so I thought I would share this info here in case anyone else was curious. Cheers!!

Hey Len,
Believe it or not, I just used the 3M or Scotch double-sided tape, because of how thin it is and I wanted it to be reversible in case I ever sold the car (unlikely). I will admit that the pieces on the center console probably don't stick as well as the dashboard pieces, because they are so small and have multiple angles that you have to get tape into.

Having said that, I have had it for quite awhile now ( over a year) and everything has held perfectly fine including the center console pieces that wrap around the center switches under the ashtray. I would basically try this approach instead of glue as I fear the repercussions of reversing that, and I would prefer this over foam tape due to the thickness of the foam tape.

Basically, buy a role of the double sided and stick it on every conceivable place you can on the back side of each part. I did not cover the airbag pieces completely, but I did every corner, as well as a long piece in the middle area on the lower, upper and center area. Quite a bit of tape, but I have been very happy. The gauge surround needs nothing as the gauges hold it in place. The pieces that slide behind the steering column are also held in place but require heavier taping the further you get from the steering column.

Good luck. I think I'll post this to that thread as well in case anyone else is curious.

Robert
Old 10-23-2009, 04:48 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im bringin this thread back to life!!

Im interested in these pieces from marcus. Is he still making selling these parts?

Quick Reply: 993 aftermarket Carbon Fiber interior install - DIY