Sponsored by:

Victory is Mine: Oil Filter and Plug 6I

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:46 AM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Victory is Mine: Oil Filter and Plug 6I

Last weekend I posted about my 60K service fun - The Good, The Bad, the Stuck.; in particular, my stuck small oil filter.

I tracked down the three prong oil filter wrench that closes in on the filter when you turn it with a 3/8" square drive wrench. No Joy. Three foot breaker bar, and all I was doing was crushing the filter. So I put a screw in the side of the filter to keep the wrench from moving. That had two effects: 1) I started crushing one side of the filter; and 2) I was bending the snot out of the wrench.

What to do now? I took a piece of scrap aluminum plate and drilled a bunch of holes in it. Screwed it to the bottom of the filter with some monster long screws. The torqued on the bad boy until it finally budged. Score: Porsche: 0; Don 1.

Here's a pic of the carnage:

Now for some real fun - spark plug #6 Intake. Following Tyson's advice, I pulled the right side muffler, tranny breather tube and engine tin. And after some very interesting use of vice grips, long handled bent nose pliers, universal joints and lubricant, I was successful in removing and replacing plug 6I. I then finished replacing the other 11 plugs, and replaced the engine tin. Score: Porsche 0; Don 2

Plug wire 6E had a big break in the insulation - instead of replacing the entire set (spendy and hard) or simply putting shrink wrap on the tear, a Rennlister Dudley was kind enough to send me his used wire, so I replaced the wire. Well, mostly. Since two of the wire clamps are pretty much impossible to get at, I have 12.5 spark plug wires in my car. I just cut off as much of the old wire as I could get to. You won't do this for a precious daily driver, but for the Track Hippo, this will get me through the season. When I ultimately drop the engine for a new clutch and LWF, that will be a good time to replace the wires.

I also pulled the SAI cut-off valve to see if it gunked up - if oil clogging the SAI ports. Yeah, I know, you should replace the check valve, but that looks like monsterous work for a car that will get 5K miles a year (and a fair amount of that hitting redline). The cut-off valve was pretty clean, so I'm guessing that the check valve is doing its thing and my SAI system is okay so far. Knock on wood.

I finished the day replacing the Clutch slave and master cylinder. I ended up tearing the boot on the slave cylinder as it got trapped somehow, so I'll get to do this again sooner than later. One hint: you need to clamp the flexible line so fluid does not leak out. But you need to remember to unclamp the line before you try to seat the slave cylinder. That cost me 45 minutes and a lot of grunting. Then the master went in pretty easily.

Final Score: Porsche 0; Don 3

Next weekend: RS Pulley and belts, bleed brakes, ready for the season!
Old 04-16-2007, 02:00 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice job Don! Those stuck oil filters can be a real bear and a good solution!

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Victory is Mine: Oil Filter and Plug 6I