Sponsored by:

Ride Height ?-ROW MO30 w/HD's and Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:17 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ride Height ?-ROW MO30 w/HD's and Sway Bars

My suspension arrives today from Viper Bob and I have searched the forums but Im going to ask again. ROW MO30's with HD's and sway bars for my 95 C4. Gert front protection bar wont be here for a few weeks.

What height are people going with with this upgrade? RS, Sport?

I will not set foot on a track, not that it matters.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:35 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked just about the same question in another thread a few weeks ago.. I think most ppl go with RoW sport. You could go as low as RS ride height but then again, there are other factors involved: Will you track the car(no in your case), What do the roads look like where you live (potholes etc), Speedbumps? What tires do you use? (if you have extremely wide tires with occasional rubbing this can also be a concern). I will go this route some day and I will set mine somewhere between RS and RoW M030 height. I think RoW Sport is a good compromise. Good luck
Old 04-12-2007, 11:53 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

row sport sounds good to me.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:57 PM
wayne993
Instructor

I'm half way between RS and Sport and i really like it that way. Jeff's is set at RS + 5mm and
he says he likes his also.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:11 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wayne993
I'm half way between RS and Sport and i really like it that way. Jeff's is set at RS + 5mm and
he says he likes his also.
So what specifically are those settings? I have no idea if instructions say "put here for RS+5mm height"

How's that affect adjustments with alignment?

thanks,
Old 04-12-2007, 07:33 PM
wayne993
Instructor

Have a look at the DIY instructions Jeff (InTheAir) wrote. The absolute values of the heights
for the various factory settings are listed there. My RECOLLECTION (ie please check for yourself)
is that the difference between "RoW Sport" and RS is 20 mm. So, mine was set to half-way
between those two numbers = 10mm higher than RS = 10mm lower than RoW Sport.
Jeff has reported that he is happy with his setup and it is 5 mm lower than mine. We're
talking less than 1/4" difference so I doubt any of us could notice the difference while driving
on the road. Walter Rohrl - maybe so.

You will not be able to align the suspension yourself - you will have to take it to a shop to do
that part. When they do the alignment they will fine-tune the height per your instructions.
You should basically just try to "get it close" when you do the install. You MUST take your
car to a "reputable" shop that SPECIALIZES in Porsche.... that means NOT "alignments R us".
You should call ahead of time and ask them if they have the tool to do the "kinematic toe
adjustment for a 993". If they don't know or they waffle, DO NOT GO THERE. It means they
can't correctly align your car. While you're there you should also ask to have the Front camber set
as far negative as possible. Maybe someone on the board can point you to a shop in SLC
they would recommend. Of course, after doing the install, your first drive will be directly to the
alignment shop, no high speeds, no hard turns or braking.

I like this from Jeff, it sums the install up better than any other thing I've seen written:
"installing a new suspension is more intimidating than difficult" - or something to that effect.
Or, since you seem to be a dog person... it's more bark than bite.

W.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:35 PM
wayne993
Instructor

Oh, BTW, are you also adding a front strut tower bar? Doing it as part of the suspension
install is ideal since you're in there anyhow, it will add maybe 5 minutes to the job.

Good luck... you're gonna love your new Porsche.

W.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:56 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ask Bob to e-mail you his set-up tips for the HDs, which include initial settings for the spring perches. Last year when I installed PSS9s, the initial settings put the car right about RoW Sport... but now it's limbo time baby!

Cheers, Mark.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:45 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Have a look at the DIY instructions Jeff (InTheAir) wrote. The absolute values of the heights
for the various factory settings are listed there. My RECOLLECTION (ie please check for yourself)
is that the difference between "RoW Sport" and RS is 20 mm. So, mine was set to half-way
Jeff has reported that he is happy with his setup and it is 5 mm lower than mine. We're
talking less than 1/4" difference so I doubt any of us could notice the difference while driving

You will not be able to align the suspension yourself - you will have to take it to a shop to do
that part. When they do the alignment they will fine-tune the height per your instructions.
You should basically just try to "get it close" when you do the install. You MUST take your
car to a "reputable" shop that SPECIALIZES in Porsche.... that means NOT "alignments R us".
You should call ahead of time and ask them if they have the tool to do the "kinematic toe
adjustment for a 993". If they don't know or they waffle, DO NOT GO THERE. It means they
can't correctly align your car. While you're there you should also ask to have the Front camber set
as far negative as possible. Maybe someone on the board can point you to a shop in SLC
they would recommend. Of course, after doing the install, your first drive will be directly to the

I like this from Jeff, it sums the install up better than any other thing I've seen written:
"installing a new suspension is more intimidating than difficult" - or something to that effect.

W.
The shop doing my work is called Motorsport, a Rennlist member, Site Sponsor, very knowledable. Good guys and they have done work for me in the past. They race Porsche they build Porsche, they fabricate. I have asked every question you can imagine and they are like "bring it in" Why wouldnt a Rennlist Site Sponor be at the top of my list?

Ketchmi
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Dave Lomas
Motorsport
2128 South Richards
Salt Lake City, Utah 84115
801-487-6733

www.motorsportincslc.com
Old 04-12-2007, 10:22 PM
wayne993
Instructor

Alright then, looks like you've got a plan. Have fun. W.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:52 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Oh, BTW, are you also adding a front strut tower bar? Doing it as part of the suspension
install is ideal since you're in there anyhow, it will add maybe 5 minutes to the job.

Good luck... you're gonna love your new Porsche.

W.
Of all things, that didnt even cross my mind. Who knows, I may just do it.

Thanks for all the insight.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:12 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

W.

While you're there you should also ask to have the Front camber set
as far negative as possible.

whats this all about? I havent heard that before and dont know why it applies nor what it means?
Old 01-28-2008, 05:29 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to be clear, the italicized post above is not a straight quote from my DIY.

That said, I think Wayne was simply telling 95 C4 993 that he should maximize the camber on the front wheels. I don't think I would agree with this.

Depending on the install, the car, the powertrain, and the driving mission, this could be way overkill and very destructive to tire life.

In my case, my front camber was set at about -1.5 for agreesive street driving. It certainly effected tire wear, even at this setting. The rears were set at about -1.7-1.8. It should be noted that my car was a C4 (read: understeer). These settings are greater than even RS specs.

There are some here who have front cambers over -2.0 (IIRC around -2.2-2.4), but this is more critical for track use.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:03 PM
993C4Smontreal
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks Jeff, while we are at it...what about corner balancing. I have done some research and found that it is overkill for street use....do you agree with this?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:03 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by 993C4Smontreal
thanks Jeff, while we are at it...what about corner balancing. I have done some research and found that it is overkill for street use....do you agree with this?

Always do a corner balance. It would be illogical and counter-productive to not do it.

Quick Reply: Ride Height ?-ROW MO30 w/HD's and Sway Bars