Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Seeking 993

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:19 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to get into the low 50K range, you may want to consider a WB car. As for mod.'s, I took the same approach as you but, in retrospect, would have liked a car with the suspension done already - that was a pricey one.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:15 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For popular colors, that may be only a slightly high price. For teal, I think that's way high. However, if you love the color, price doesn't matter. There's nothing rational in this emotional business.

The tire thing is technically a no-no, but not a deal killer. Get two more Conits for the rear. The Advan would have been the more appropriate Yoko for the rear, but it's too late for that.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:23 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome.

$50k and up puts you in widebody territory, and if you like the look, it could be worth it. $60k gets you a really great and top price 2S or 4S. $65k gets you a tt (some high miles tracked ones could be less) with 50k ish miles. $70k and up will get a low miles tt. $75k-85k and you can get a 996GT3 with good mods or low miles stock, cpo. All prices are approximate. For 35k you can get a mid-miles c2 coupe, and have just as much fun. Just depends on what you "need."

So, with those prices in mind, also consider what mods you will want. I know you said none, but the reality of it is if the susp is not upgraded and it is original, it is shot. You need a new suspension, so look for cars that have already been done. Other nice upgrades (I will call them that, but whatever, they are mods) have been done by many of us on the board. They would include gerts front protection bar, clear bra, rs motor mounts, various exhaust changes (RSRs, etc), wheels, etc, etc. A lightweigh flywheel is a fairly common thing to see - you have to decide if you like that. An aux oil cooler is nice if you are in hot places or traffic, and are going to track the car. Seats, etc, etc. Many more things to consider. Turbo S ducts look nice. Blah, blah...

If you are going to drive the car, it makes sense to me to find a car with the mods you would want already done, as they are not cheap and you'll pay less for them if they are already there. I thought I would want a bone stock car, etc, and after a couple years, well, a few upgrades were necessary and make it so much better. So, in retrospect, I should have bought a car that was already modded (though I would wan thte original parts, too, just because I am ****).

Most of all, look around, and have fun in the process. They are beautiful cars, and fun. Try to drive stock cars, and also some that have some susp upgrades, if you can find them, and note the difference. Then look at the cost and choose.

I was just going over this kind of info with another new RLer, too. If you (or he) has quesitons, feel free to email or PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:25 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

As ana side, I would not get a teal car. Personal taste (or I may be lacking), but if you ever do want to sell it.... well, not a whole ton of buyers. If it is your favorite color, do it, there are not many (but note, I only looked at your post about it, not the car, and know zip about it) teal ones out there. But... well, I am more a blue, silver, black, white guy. Nuff said.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Get a wide body if you have the cake. I'm sure you won't regret it, there are few, and they look awesome.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:21 PM
finbully
6th Gear

O.K. I'm flying to Austin tomorrow to pick up the teal car. It basically boiled down to the fact that I like the rarity of the color and the way it is optioned. Not only do I like the rarity of the color, I like the color period. In spending a lot of time talking with Marc and numerous e-mails I feel the time and car is right for me.

So my plan is:

Fly from Chattanooga leaving at 0700 EST tomorrow, arrive in Houston 0815 CST. A two hour layover, then fly to Austin at 1015 CST, arriving at 1113 CST. Marc is going to pick me up at the airport in my new car! Way cool.

I like the challenge of flying out on Friday the 13 th and arriving at 1113 - bring it on spooky stuff - look me straight in the eyes.

Depending on the weather (there is a chance of severe storms Friday afternoon/night) I will either leave after the car deal is wrapped up or spend the night at Marc's home. Marc and his wife Melissa's home as well as the Porsche collection sound very nice. If the weather is bad, I'll leave on Saturday and be home by Sunday.

I'm taking the camera along to shoot his collection and possibly some shots of my travels. I'll post pictures here after the trip as I will travel light with no means to update while in route. I won't have time for too much sightseeing because I have family coming in on Monday and my work is busy.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:46 PM
97Targa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations. Very exciting. Keep us posted.
OBTW, IMHO the less common colors are great.
You know the drill....we demand pictures!

Side note: STEDGE your last post was #993.
Must be some kind omen/blessing.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:08 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Dang...a man of action! Not a second of dilly-dallying. Here's the listing. Interior looks clean. Extra fan belts

http://www.intlsportscars.com/view_l...ng&inv_id=2368
Old 04-12-2007, 10:01 PM
yumyum1667
Racer

Where abouts are you in Hixson? I grew up in that area.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:05 PM
finbully
6th Gear

Just a short update. I did not complete the deal on the teal car. I have not given up and I am looking once again.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:12 PM
stedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Car not as described??
Old 04-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

After seeing the pictures of the car, it's a beauty. What happened? There's still time for that wide body!
Old 04-20-2007, 01:59 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

funny that somewhere along the line 50k miles became "high" for a 10+ yr old car...
Old 04-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Finbully,
If you are interested, I have a 95 with 25k miles and many nice almost new upgrades you may be interested in. AL Z

Quick Reply: Seeking 993