Notices

Oil Tank Vent?

Old 04-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Avenger6
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Tank Vent?

In tracking down a very minor leak in the area of the oil tank/lines/big filter, I found a little curved rubber hose with an open end that comes off of the very highest point of the oil tank. It doesn't seem to have any valve or cover, rather it appears to open "to atmosphere."

Is this normal? I suppose there is little chance of contaminants getting in there, since it is behind the wheel well cladding and WAY up inside the fender, but it seems a little odd.

Info? Experience?

RL#: 070223-5272
Old 04-05-2007, 12:59 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Avenger6
Is this normal?
Yes, the valve on the top of the oil tank is a pressure release valve that should only open when your engine is having $$$ problems. You can find some pictures and a description HERE.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Avenger6
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason - Thanks for the info and links...! Good info there.

I poked around in there some more and got a lot of light in to see by. The vent hose is clean and dry, and my question was more related to knowing if there was in fact a valve inside somewhere to keep dirt and critters out.

It looks like my leak was because of the hose clamp on the topmost hose being loose. Went to check them all and tighten them, and that one was loose enough that it turned a bit when I put the screwdriver on it. Tightened all of them up and cleaned up as best as I could without taking out the tank. I'll monitor it and see what happens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: