Sponsored by:

Quick Corner Balancing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:34 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick Corner Balancing Questions

Finally getting to the end of my winter projects the only things left is getting
my seats reupholstery and the wheel alignment . Decided to get corner balance.
My question is 1) Is it better to have a full tank of gas when getting it done ?
2) My passenger seat will still be out (reupholstered) of the car can they just subtract the weight of the (passenger) seat from my (driver) weight and come out good ?
3) does someone knows how much a seat weights ?

Btw my seat are not only getting reupolstered they getting rebuilt from standard seat to sport seat . hopefully it will turn out good also wanted the porsche crest in the headrest , they have the equipment but they don`t have the porsche die cast .....too bad and yes I am getting the bun warmers replace while at it .
Old 03-26-2007, 01:52 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Half tank of fuel, as this is 'average' -- Make sure tire pressures (before alignment) are set. If you track the car with an instructor, I have the belief that no driver weight should be simulated, if not, then simulate, or bring a book
Old 03-26-2007, 02:11 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Last time I had it done at Weissach they told me they wanted a full tank of gas for both alignment and corner balancing. They also needed my weight for the corner balancing...

Just another data point..

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-26-2007, 02:19 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Don't be too worried about accuracy to the last pound. No car is perfectly balanced due to the constraints of asymmetrical weight of the driver. Furthermore, if you really want to get picky, you should corner balance the car to optimize for a specific track (number of left turns vs. right). Do you best to average things out and carry on with more important stuff... like driver skill! IMO.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:22 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Don't be too worried about accuracy to the last pound. No car is perfectly balanced due to the constraints of asymmetrical weight of the driver. Furthermore, if you really want to get picky, you should corner balance the car to optimize for a specific track (number of left turns vs. right). Do you best to average things out and carry on with more important stuff... like driver skill! IMO.
I have given up on my driver skills thats why I need all the help I can get hence I drive awd and getting corner balance
Old 03-26-2007, 02:24 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We corner balance with a 1/2 tank of fuel (ideally) and equivalent to the driver's weight in the driver's seat.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:29 AM
Duane993
Racer

I]m told full tank of gas. The seat weight 25-35 pound depending if they are full power or not. You also should compensate for drivers weight.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:17 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

For DIN standard specs, you need to go with a full tank, all fluids, tools and spare tire.

However IMO, if you want the best possible balance for your car while tracking or on the street, then corner balance it the exact same way you will be driving it most often (with passenger?), and most likely a half tank of gas.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:58 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 350 Posts
Cool I don't think you get much corner balancing if....

you have stock suspension. The stock suspension has limited thread for adjusting the spring perches, the rear shocks have none with only shims available to adjust the ride height, 3, 5 and 8mm or something close to that...too late to look it up now.

If you go to a coil over suspension, Bilstein PSS 9, Bilstein HD, JIC, Cross, etc., then you'll be able to corner balance precisely....1/2 tank of gas and the weight of the driver in the driver's seat is what I learned from MOM. Thanks MOM!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 03:46 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the benefit, if any, of corner balancing if you do not track your car regularly? Also, what would (should) that cost?
Ron
Old 03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 350 Posts
Cool You need adjustable coil overs to truly do any...

effective corner balancing. You can rest assured that a 993 with stock suspension is already as corner balanced as good as it can get. As mentioned above, their is very little ride height adjustability on stock suspension....the same is true with M030 and M030 RoW suspension...these options lower the car because the springs are shorter. I had M030 RoW suspension on my car...it is greatly underrated I believe. It's cheap too compared to coil overs such as PSS9s and others.

The advantage of corner balancing, you'll have a similar weight on the car, both sides. The alignment guy looks at cross weight, LF to RR, RF to RR as well as % of weight front and rear.

Do a Google Search on corner balancing and you get the picture...it's too complicated for me to write up here....sorry
Old 03-26-2007, 05:13 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK
I just changed the suspension and I am waiting for my new (to me) wheels and tires for the alignment. The shop suggested to corner balance now that the car was dropped, hence the questions.
Thanks
Ron

Quick Reply: Quick Corner Balancing Questions