Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT - Saw an Audi R8...

Old 09-12-2007, 05:46 PM
YellowBull
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
If depreciation hits this car as hard as it hits the other Audis, I could see myself buying a pre-owned one some day.
I wouldn't count on it. With such a limited amount being produced, you can be assured that the value will be maintained much greater than a mass produced Audi. The demand is so great that many Audi dealerships have stopped taking deposits.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Ash
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Just saw the first R8 on the freeway yesterday. Personally speaking, I think it's a pretty handsome car.

I'll be at the Audi Performance Driving Event at Infineon this Sunday where I'll get some seat time in an R8 and RS4. Looking forward to it.

~A
Old 09-12-2007, 06:19 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
I'm pretty impresses. My only reservation is their bad rep for reliability.
CP
Really?

That was probably true back in the 80's. Audi reliabilty reputation is one of the highest nowadays.

I had 3 Audis in the past 12 years. Not one single problem, and they are driven hard daily. Just scheduled oil changes.

I wish I could say the same for my wife 2 Lexuses or BMW's that we have had.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:34 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMomentum
I REALLY like it in black.

Arrwin...unfortunately, no(:

Dave
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAA!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:54 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Really?

That was probably true back in the 80's. Audi reliabilty reputation is one of the highest nowadays.

I had 3 Audis in the past 12 years. Not one single problem, and they are driven hard daily. Just scheduled oil changes.

I wish I could say the same for my wife 2 Lexuses or BMW's that we have had.
That is good to know. I stand corrected then. I did not read the Audi forums nor check the JD Powers scores before I wrote my post. My impressions were strictly based on my boss's comments on his LS 1000 back in 1985. Times are passing me by here.

May be I should include Audi in my future interest list. I just saw an RS6 on the road. Darned aggressive fender flares and tire/wheel package.

CP
Old 09-12-2007, 07:00 PM
creator8
Instructor

No issues on Audi reliability. My Dad has my old 2001 A6 4.2 and he's put 60k miles on it without a single problem of any note.

The RS6 (old model) is a twin turbo monster w/ 450hp and easily tuneable to 550 w/ a chip and exhaust. And only 800 or so on the ground in the US.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:33 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
That is good to know. I stand corrected then. I did not read the Audi forums nor check the JD Powers scores before I wrote my post. My impressions were strictly based on my boss's comments on his LS 1000 back in 1985. Times are passing me by here.

May be I should include Audi in my future interest list. I just saw an RS6 on the road. Darned aggressive fender flares and tire/wheel package.

CP
Yes, they have really come a long way.

They also had a really bad rap with the "unintended acceleration" deal of the 80's which turned out to be nothing more than an issue with their accelerator/brake pedal spacing, few drivers with big feet and a 60 minutes TV report that gave them their bad reputation.

Because all that, they had to earn their reputation back the old fashion way by being better than the rest, while others - without naming brands - have rested on their laurels.

Check them out when you are in the market. I don't think that you'll be dissapointed. I think a RS4 would go really nice parked next to your RUF
Old 09-13-2007, 12:41 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CP,

I was in the same boat as yourself for quite a long time. Not anymore. I love my A4. This is my second one and I have truly become a believer. I just got back from three weeks in Germany and drove an Audi the whole time. Very solid on the Autobahn....which, by the way, could be the greatest invention of all-time. All I could think about the whole time I was on it was "wishing I was in my 993".

Cheers,
Dave
Old 09-13-2007, 12:16 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw an R8 in the window at night in one of the high-dollar, snooty NYC dealerships (I don't think it was MMC). It was a dark blue and looked downright mean from the front quarter. quite impressive.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:58 PM
leonardjohnr
Advanced

I saw it back in Jan at the Detroit Auto Show...

It's definately cool, but cool in the way the NSX was in it's day... You want to like it, but it seems to be missing some sole (or heritage) or something... maybe power...

The fit and finish seemed amazing... 110% Audi... The move to super-sportscar legitamacy (for any company) is a steep one... a v10 will go along way to help, but it will need some critical mass... and takes more than a high-price and a name from the racing program...

That being said... I hope it doesn't befall the same fate as the NSX...
Old 09-13-2007, 01:32 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

R8 + NSX. Taken from NSXPrime.

From seeing pictures of the R8, the more I look, the more I don't lilke. The front and back ends are too busy. What's with the slats? Seemed they are added on with no real function or purpose. Worse is the different color/material on the side panel. Looks like some designer at Audi went through the K-Mart aisle of automotive design with a blank check and nothing in mind.
Attached Images  
Old 09-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Looks like a Gallardo did the wild thing with a 350Z, and they put the panel in the middle to cover up the "union".
Old 09-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Audi was certainly after the retro look-
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2007, 03:34 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Default Audi R 8

I saw one today on park avenue approaching a red light. As it slowed down it rev'ed the engine to show off? I must say it is a nice looking car, but the mufflers sounded a bit like the LPMM mufflers that I just installed (or was it the other way around)

Old 09-17-2007, 04:19 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by creator8
For the sticker price of $120k--well optioned C4S money,
$120k is not well optioned C4S money. $120k is lighly optioned 997 Turbo money.
In order to spend $120k on a C4S, you would be checking every option in the book.
I have, Upgraded Color, Short Shift kit, Sport/Chrono and a few other options and my turbo was only a few dollars more than the $120k C4S dollars you are suggesting.

I am also eager to see what the residual values of this car will be. Because usually there is two prices for factoring the ownership of the car, Sale Price when you buy and Sale Price when you sell.

I love the Audi S8 and seriously considered buying one. Until I learned that the three year residual is 40%. And they wanted close to 9% interest rate.
So, a $100,000 Audi after 3 years is only worth $40,000. (And that's if you lease, if you own it, consider another $3k-$7k "back of book", putting the resale value of the car at $33k-$35k.

Yes, we all know new Porsche's also have a steep depreciation, but no where near those numbers.

I also do understand that you can't put a "price or value" on owning an exotic sports car. They are luxury items and are subject to the market. But if I could own a Porsche Turbo for $20,000 less than an R8 (notice I said "own", not buy.) imho, there is no comparison.

Now maybe the R8 is going to be the "highline" Audi, the breaks the mold and has a high resale value/residual. Especially with the premium it is now commanding. But once the "welcome wagon" has worn off and the dealers are selling them for $500 over invoice. What is going to be the true "Cost of Ownership" to be in this car?
My guess is, the Porsche 997 is still going to be the better car for the value. Maybe the 997 isn't the new guy on the block, he's the benchmark by which all other sports cars are judged. But if I were making a decision not just based on the "gotta have it now".. Based on Audi's past resale performance's. I would say Pcar is the way to go.

B

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT - Saw an Audi R8...