Sponsored by:

OT - Saw an Audi R8...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:15 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Line
So, a $100,000 Audi after 3 years is only worth $40,000. (And that's if you lease, if you own it, consider another $3k-$7k "back of book", putting the resale value of the car at $33k-$35k.
B
So, you are saying that I could buy an R8 in 3 years for only $33K???

I truly doubt it. This is not your typical Toyota Camry depreciation curve here...these are limited run production cars.

I would say that you'd probably see 2007 R8's in the $60K- $70K range 3 years from now.

So if you lease, and the residual is $40K, you could sell it and pay off the lease or just buy it at lease end.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:24 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

As I said, the first few years may be an anoymoly because of the high premiums the cars are fetching.
So no, in 3 years, you won't be able to buy it for $33k but again, it's also not a $100,000 car. It's a $120,000 car.
- Second, in 3 years, you will be able to buy an Audi S8, for under $40k. The RS4's, the RS6's, etc. the Audi "speciality" cars, do not hold value well, AT ALL.

If a R8 is worth $60k (50% residual) in 3 years, that is still a horrible figure. I'm not sure what the 997 lease residuals are but I would imagine they are in the 55%-58% range.

And, I'm not talking about about a Toyota Camry depreciation curve either. I would probably be ok with Camry depreciation. What I am considered with is "AUDI" high end, depreciation - which has shown, over and over again, to be much worse than it's German counterparts.

B
Old 09-17-2007, 09:52 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

And, I'm not talking about about a Toyota Camry depreciation curve either. I would probably be ok with Camry depreciation. What I am considered with is "AUDI" high end, depreciation - which has shown, over and over again, to be much worse than it's German counterparts.

B
Interesting figures. Would you mind sharing which numbers you are using to draw that conclusion? Just curious...
Old 09-17-2007, 10:41 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Sure,

Audi S8, 3 year, 12k mile, residual = 40% (Great car btw, but at a near $2500/month for a lease, thanks but I'll pass.)

B
Old 09-17-2007, 10:50 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Sure,

Audi S8, 3 year, 12k mile, residual = 40% (Great car btw, but at a near $2500/month for a lease, thanks but I'll pass.)

B
Agreed, I'd pass too. I wouldn't pay $2500/month for any car, much less for a lease.

However, the numbers that I was refering to are the ones by which you based this statement:

""AUDI" high end, depreciation - which has shown, over and over again, to be much worse than it's German counterparts."

You said that it has shown over and over again....where has it shown? Do you have comparison figures for its German counterparts? Or is your statement based on a personal opinion?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:35 PM
B-Line
Drifting

To be quite honest, you have caught me red handed.
As residuals and money factors change so often, NO, I do not have any documents that support my allegation.
As an Audi owner, I can tell I struck a nerve with you and I apologize for doing so, without the "hard facts".

But I also have owned audi's. a 1997 A4 2.8 quattro, then a 2000 S4 biturbo. I was very fond of both those vehicles.

But in my research, Audi's do not lease as well as their BMW counter parts. Futhermore, they also do not retain the same resale value. At least, not in my experience. The 6 series as compared to the bmw 5. Or the 8 series compared to the BMW 7. Even the A4 which is a big mover for Audi, I don't believe has the same residuals or money factors as BMW, for the most part.

I have never tried to lease a Porsche, so I can't speak first hand on how they lease, other than to imagine they have pretty high residuals..

But, in the boards that I visit, it seems to be universal knowledge that Audi's don't have great resale, as such, don't have great residuals. I hope the R8 is different and if I'm wrong, please, enlighten me. I am a big fan of the Audi brand. Just wish they held their values better as it would make it less expensive to own one.

B
Old 09-18-2007, 12:04 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

To be quite honest, you have caught me red handed.
As residuals and money factors change so often, NO, I do not have any documents that support my allegation......... I am a big fan of the Audi brand. Just wish they held their values better as it would make it less expensive to own one.

B
Hey B,

Sorry if I came across wrong, I didn't mean to attack your post. I've just heard the same statement many times from others but have yet to see hard facts about it. So I was just curious to see these numbers myself for my own enlightenment if nothing else.

I just haven't felt any worst depreciation with any of my previous Audis than with any other brands that I've owned, including some that claimed to hold their value well. But then again, it is just my personal experience.

In the case of the R8, I'm interested to see what happens in the next 3 years. If it is able to hold somewhat of a "super-car" status, you may see values holding high, but if they start to be viewed as nothing more than glorified TT's, we may see these great cars at attainable prices in the used market. So in this case, I'm hoping that you are right so I can afford one in the near future and park it next to my 993.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:45 AM
YellowBull
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be a total shock to me if R8 values plummeted to the levels that are mentioned here. On the contrary, I believe that the R8 values will hold considerably well, considering demand and supply. With such a short supply of inventory, there is no doubt in my mind that a first year R8 will lose very little, if any, value. I plan to drive mine for a year and sell it for what I paid for it at MSRP.

This car is absolutely incredible. After reading all the raving reviews from the car magazines, I had very high expectations of this car. After driving the car around the track this past weekend, I must say that this car fulfilled all my expectations. It is an absolute bargain at $109K and that will certainly factor into the equation. This car rivals my Gallardo and is considerably more user friendly. In addition, the 0-60 times are sorely understated. This car is very quick and is much faster than the specs indicate.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:22 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Audi R8 VS Porsche 997 Carrera 4S

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
A 997S will probably destroy it on a race course. I remember a Top Gear piece that pitted the 997S against a AM Vantage V8 and a M5. The M5 and AM Vantage V8 completed the course in the exact same time the 997S went about 5mph average speed faster.
Originally Posted by cowtown
I think you're right about that. One of my mags (can't remember which) did just this comparison, and the 997S was a bit faster.

Having said that, I think the Audi is really cool, and look forward to seeing one on the road. If nothing else, it will keep Porsche on their toes. The minute competition stops, we'll stop seeing better cars every year.
Originally Posted by SJB993
In the UK we have a TV motoring programme called Fifth Gear. Among the presenters are Tiff Needell and Jason Plato - both of these guys are former racing drivers, so they know how to drive cars.

They compared the R8 and a 997 4S:-

Straight line sprint - 997 won.

Ability to hold a sideways drift in a corner - R8 won.

Race around the track - no real difference.

I have seen an R8 on the road, and it does look really nice but I didn't like one of the LED light clusters (can't remember whether it was front or rear).

Last edited by IamSMC; 09-18-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:33 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

The value will depend on whether or not they still produce this car in 3 years. I hope so but you never know. ie Phaeton, bmw 850i can't think of any other good examples right now.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:05 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am so sick of this car it is unreal. I don't care how cool it is, it is not worth $120K. Since this very last batch of cars the last remotely interesting car Audi has made has been the Rally star Quattro and the Autounion race cars. Reliability????? I do not know what some of the guys on this board are driving but a late nineties A4 a family member had imploded and I am not kidding. My father's Audi 80 of the late 80's also imploded. Guys, did not break down..................IMPLODED!!! Not to mention the 3 or 4 VWs I had that blew up.

I know that the following statement will irritate a bunch of you but Quattro is not fun to drive never was and never will which is why our beloved Porsche makes their 4 and 4Ss rear will drivers with some front wheel pull only when neccessary. BMW will always rock their world and will always be the real driver's car end of story! It is no accident MB and Audi just copy and play catch to the "ultimate driving machine." Look at local grassroots race tracks and let me know if there are any Audis anywhere? For those of you that said NO congrats you are correct you know why. Because they are not driver's cars that's why and it takes a good platform to make a good race car. And please do not make your comeback the Le Mans winners as factory efforts are not what we are discussing here.

Now I agree Audi has made massive strides and yes I think their cars have improved greatly and yes the RS6 and RS4 and the R8 are nice efforts but as long as BMW has an M-division and Porsche and Ferrari are making cars no thank you, you can keep your Audis.

Lastly, It will be a very, very sad day when Peich gets his way and destroys our beloved mark my mixing it with the VW/AUDI group.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by agdamis

Lastly, It will be a very, very sad day when Peich gets his way and destroys our beloved mark my mixing it with the VW/AUDI group.
+1
Old 09-18-2007, 10:01 PM
YellowBull
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, better keep your eyes peeled as Audi zooms right past BMW in both performance and market share. IMHO, Audi is setting the trend in new technology and design. Have you seen the fugly BMW designs lately? The rear looks like a hunchback.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:04 PM
quasr
Racer

Loved that Youtube piece on the competition between the Audi and a Porsche 997 C4. Seems the Porsche held it's own.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:22 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Originally Posted by YellowBull
Well, better keep your eyes peeled as Audi zooms right past BMW in both performance and market share. IMHO, Audi is setting the trend in new technology and design. Have you seen the fugly BMW designs lately? The rear looks like a hunchback.
+1

Quick Reply: OT - Saw an Audi R8...