Sponsored by:

fun w/ Hoehn Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 04:51 PM
avidtest
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fun w/ Hoehn Porsche

Wow. I'll never go to Hoehn Porsche again (the local dealer in Carlsbad). After struggling w/ my new imobillizer remotes, I finally cried Uncle and decided I'd take advantage of my AAA membership and get a free tow to the dealer since they were within my free 7 mile tow range limit and it was late in the day Friday. I wanted to get the job done and not have the car idle for the weekend and they were the only outfit close enough to make it happen.

I'd already ordered two new imobillzers on-line.

I had originally made a phone inquiry w/ them on the cost to reprogram the remotes the week prior. Phone quote = $80.

Then I stopped into Hoehn yesterday morning to grab a can of brake fluid (also a mistake but was in a hurry for some ATE fluid). Double checked w/ them at that time on the cost to reprogram the remotes, in case I ran into trouble. New cost - $92.

Needless to say, I was unable to reprogram the remotes myself, so got the car towed to Hoehn. New cost now that my car was actually there - $116.

"How come it keeps going up Sal?"

"Well, you see Mr. Sucker, your alarm has now been activated and it's not just a simple matter of reprogramming the remotes any longer. It's going to take a bit more time".

"OK, fine, just get it done and get me the hell out of here before you shut down for the weekend". grrrr...

20 minutes into the job: "Mr. Sucker, you have a 1995 993 which have the unique issue of having to have the seat removed to do some 'special stuff' to the imobillzer, I'm afraid it's going to be slightly higher than the $116".

"How much more?"

"Well, we're not sure yet, but it shouldn't be too bad".

GGRRRR.

An hour and a half later, the job is done.

"Mr. Sucker, we got the job done. It took two hours, but I'm going to help you out and knock off 1/2 hour".

"Golly, that's great Sal. Thanks a lot."

Next, I mosy myself over to the cashier. She rings me up.

"Please bend over and lube up Mr. Sucker. Your total is $182.96."

"Thank you so much. It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever return."

"Your very welcome. Have a great weekend".
Old 03-24-2007, 05:05 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is high, but you did take it to the dealer and you were on an accelerated time table...so was it worth $100 to have the car for the weekend? If the answer is yes, then don't sweat it. If the answer is no, then I guess that's a $100 learning experience.

If it makes you feel any better, I did find the use of homosexual inuendos throughout your narration quite funny though
Old 03-24-2007, 05:13 PM
avidtest
Racer

It should be noted I have no problem w/ spending money for good value. What upsets me is the feeling of being taken advantage of - even if it's only twenty-five cents.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:57 AM
Duane993
Racer

I go to Hoehn all the time (hence the phase i'm just hoeing around). They are high on their repairs, but it's worth the convenience. (Try getting a loaner car for free from a local shop and having any out of stock parts delivered the next day.) I'd try Pioneer but I'd waste most the day getting there a back You could also try AJ in Mira Mesa.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:03 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Ive been there a few times - most experience good. I find the sales guys upstairs pretty good as well - approachable and helpful when asking questions (instead of sitting downstairs in the service area) - there are only so many times that you can look at their toys in the case before you get bored.
I did however have one bad experience - I took it in for the harness recall and they suprisingly finished it very quickly. Not sure whats involved with it, but I assume its a motor drop. Got home open motor and the rubber cover in front of the engine fan is torn. I took it back and they told me that it was that way when I brought it in. "Really" I responded, "well then why was it not noted in the laundry list of repair items you tallied up on my car when it was in for service?" "Well uh, hmm..." The service manager agreed to repair no charge. I learned later on RL that these things are not expensive and easy to replace. But still they broke it. (at the time, the pistons were gone on the engine lid and they must have used a stick to prop the lid up. The tear in the rubber looked like maybe the stick was positioned on top of the rubber maybe...
Old 03-26-2007, 01:04 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

It's never good when they start calling you "Mr. Sucker"
Old 03-26-2007, 01:17 PM
avidtest
Racer

Yeah Gordo, I too thought that was a bad sign. ;-)

In the big scheme of things, it really wasn't a lot of money (add $210 for the two new remotes though, and it was probably the most expensive load of laundry I've ever done when the original remote got washed), and yes, it was convenient. It's just upsetting that this should be a pretty straight forward procedure, and indeed, they did have a set price in their computer for this service - $92.

At any rate, for future work/repairs, I'll definitely be using a local independent.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Just curious, could you not have done the p-car remote process? I thought that was for new remotes as well.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:37 PM
avidtest
Racer

I tried. I couldn't even get the remote to shut-up w/ the un-lock/lock/un-lock process. Hoehn said they had to remove my seat to access the imobillzer to do some 'special stuff' to it since the imobillizer had already been activated.

I think, had my imobillzer not already been activated, I likely could have followed the p-car diy and had success. Unfortunately for me; no dice.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I picked up my car two years ago I only had one fob and went to Pioneer to get another and get it programmed. The fob was only $65.00 (with my PCA discount) and they programmed it for free in about 10 minutes using my original fob for the codes.

I have been buying factory parts from Pioneer for over 13 years without any extra costs or drama.

Give them a try and be sure to mention you are a PCA member for a 20% parts discount.

ZP44
Old 03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shannon,

Sorry for your pain. When it comes to any company charging me an hourly rate I make damn sure that I know EXACTLY what the complications and costs could be UP FRONT. Yeah, I can be perceived as a real PITA at times but I rarely get screwed over and overcharged by people who don't know whats up. This is why it pays for itself to take your car to places that work on 993s all of the time. The stealer works mostly on newer models still under warranty. MoM or any other independent shop is a far better choice IMO. Don't ask me how I learned this lesson....it was very expensive.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Originally Posted by avidtest
I tried. I couldn't even get the remote to shut-up w/ the un-lock/lock/un-lock process. Hoehn said they had to remove my seat to access the imobillzer to do some 'special stuff' to it since the imobillizer had already been activated.

I think, had my imobillzer not already been activated, I likely could have followed the p-car diy and had success. Unfortunately for me; no dice.
Maybe that is he case when you no longer have the original remote BUT it would seem that the dealer could shut off the immob with that ignition sequence UNLESS you/they did not know the code. In that instance, perhaps they have to literally hook into it.

I don't know BUT it has made me VERY conscious of how bright my remote light blinks when I flash on/off i.e. the actual light on the fob. I noticed that when the battery was weak/dying, the light was as well. Good precursor/warning.

Quick Reply: fun w/ Hoehn Porsche