Quandry re. Audio

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 02:12 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quandry re. Audio

Alpine has a great head unit with Bluetooth phone and iPod integrated. Problem is that it looks sooooo Bling. I really like the look of my CDR-220 (withy new face plate) BUT the Alpine functionality is very appealing. The Alpine would be paired with 6.5" speakers and very big amp (replacing CD changer up front).

I already have a non-stock look with side skirts on a white/blue 993 Cab, so it isn't such a huge deal, but is a replacement audio too much?

Any thoughts/experience from the Rennlist audience would be appreciated, as I am on the fence. I realize that I am going to be using it, and other's impressions shouldn't be a factor, but I have tried to be true to the design so far (notwithstanding the aero kit which was on when I bought the car).

Non-mechanical mods: Anterra hollow spoke wheels, split-spoiler (white), bumperttes in white (bumperplugs.com), silver crests (Boothdesign.com for wheels, hood, SW), center console (Bird), auto-up windows, home-link toggle, Gemballa tips, Gemballa aero kit.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:20 AM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raptor,

Most new decks look "bling" or just plain wack to me. I need a new deck too but won't go for anything that looks like modern boom boxes. Even speaker grilles look crappy. I don't know what cars the manufacturers gear this crap for, it certainly ain't ours.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:02 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

the Alpine CDA-9885 has the biolite display, which is what I think you are referring to, the same unit without the display is the CDA-9883, and maybe one or two features less. I had an Alpine in my 911 SC, and it was great, never had a problem with it, and it sounded terrific thorough a Linear Power amp and Boston Acoutics pro speakers. My recommendation is to by the functionality and sound you want and don't sweat the looks.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:41 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Get a set of supercups and forget about the stereo
Old 03-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by beers4all
Get a set of supercups and forget about the stereo
They installed yet?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:38 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pegasis0066
They installed yet?
Not yet Rob - it's killin me. As luck would have it we got snowed-in last weekend. Aiming for Thursday. The forecast looks good
Old 03-20-2007, 03:01 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not too long ago I bought an Alpine DVA9860 off of another Rennlist member and I am having it installed with the following components this weekend.

Alpine KCA-420i (iPOD adapter...the new DVA 9861 doesn't require this)
MB Quart Q216 Signature Speakers
JL Audio Slash Series 300/2 Amp

I ripped out the old stereo in the car a few years ago and haven't had any sort of tunes in the car. I found that I do miss having some music on longer trips and I like this setup.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll be installing the new Alpine iDA-X001 in a few weeks (I'm first on the list at the shop). It looks a lot less "bling" that most Alpine head units and will work much better with an iPod. I also plan to add the bluetooth to it.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:59 PM
pezza
Racer

Becker Becker Becker........have a great range or head units with bluetooth and ipod options, recently purchased a cascade which also has sat nav.

The new models look pretty OEM, like the cdr 220 etc....
Old 03-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pezza
Becker Becker Becker........have a great range or head units with bluetooth and ipod options, recently purchased a cascade which also has sat nav.

The new models look pretty OEM, like the cdr 220 etc....
I looked at their website the other day. Very nice looking units, are they available in the states? The Becker USA website doesn't have much info at all.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:08 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom W
I'll be installing the new Alpine iDA-X001 in a few weeks (I'm first on the list at the shop). It looks a lot less "bling" that most Alpine head units and will work much better with an iPod. I also plan to add the bluetooth to it.

Tom, I have been waiting for the release of that dude, please post pics and your thoughts when you get it installed. Thanks
Old 03-20-2007, 10:33 PM
jusafan
Instructor

Unfortunately, bling seems to be popular with stereos these days. I think Nakamichi has some very good units that are a little more subdued in their look. You might give that a try. BTW, I second TYNUSKT's (nice Avatar) recommendation on the Q216 signatures. They're a little pricey, but the sound is absolutely worth it. Oh, and the speaker grill for the Q216's is flat black and not very flashy. But you'll need an amp to run them properly, so, again, the price could start to rise for your system.

Cheers, and good luck.

Chris
Old 03-21-2007, 01:59 AM
Butzi
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No bling, and it's a Blaupunkt (Hamburg MP57), if that matters to anyone:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x1rDVqe...0&I=023HBURG57
Old 03-21-2007, 02:10 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Allill - I agree with you, but ...
kika, Tom W, pezza, Jusafan and others - many thanks for taking time to respond. The Becker would be nice because of its roots, but I am going to go with the IDA-X001 with an overkill Alpine PDX 4100 amp (mounted upright in place of CD changer) and Hertz HSK165 speakers (flat black and unobtrusive), with Alpine BT for phone. I am told the X001 unit is not available until April, however. Meanwhile, I'm trying an Alpine 9885. Fortunately, my interior is blue so I guess the blue screen on the X001 will be sorta reasonable. Again, thanks for helping with my dilemma.

allill - nice ride!!! I'll post pix when it's in so you can check out blue-in-blue.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:46 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Raptor,

I would be interested in how you like the Hertz speakers, I am considering the componets either HV or ES for the doors of my coupe. The tweeters come with a nice mount that looks factory.

Quick Reply: Quandry re. Audio