Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New Mustang GT vs. my "old Porsche"

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:50 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In the late 90's I was running a full race prepared 1979 911SC (220hp) against race prepared Shelby GT-350's (400+hp), Corvette A production prepared cars (400+hp) & even Rod Millan's 650+hp Nissan Z in the Tecate Border Grand Prix Race Series and I admit being pulled down every straight, but as the race progressed I would try to make them late break into every turn with me, knowing their brakes would eventually give up, allowing me to get by in the tight twisty sections. It worked to perfection for a lot of races.

And in 5 years of running the series, I only had two Mustang, Corvette or Nissan's finish ahead of me at the checkered.

As a matter of fact the only non-porsche drivers to make a podium in the series were Rod Millan at the Ensenada GP in 98', who finished third overall in his Z, right behind me (second overall/first in class) with Ken Rumbaugh taking the overall win in his 400hp 914 tube frame race car.

And there was a guy who's name I can't remember in a A production Corvette who got by me & my very ill handling race car at the Tecate GP in 98' on the last lap, knocking me off the podium into 4th overall and giving him third overall behind a Ferrari in second and a Porsche in first.
After I got back to the pits that day, I found my right top shock tower had broken off and the suspension was floating with only the bottom control arms holding it on the car. I was uber lucky to get 4th and not total my car!

Moral of my story is , "Don't drag race a Mustang!, get him into twistys and say goodbye!"

ZP44
Old 03-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Peter R.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A well known British TV show took a NEW Mustang GT500 and strapped it to a dynamometer. It put out 442 hp at the flywheel. If the same holds true for the other 'Stangs, it's performance numbers may not survive the track test.
Having to lie about engine performance is a sad thing.

Peter R.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:30 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What's that saying... the average driver wants more power; the better driver wants more performance.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter R.
A well known British TV show took a NEW Mustang GT500 and strapped it to a dynamometer. It put out 442 hp at the flywheel. If the same holds true for the other 'Stangs, it's performance numbers may not survive the track test.
Having to lie about engine performance is a sad thing.

Peter R.
so they took the motor out of the car?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:20 AM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Not Again..

Gentlemen--

Haven't we visited this subject before, when TJ90 lit up a PT Cruiser? I find the comparison comical. To me, it's analogous to having a friend who's dating an Eastern-bloc She-Male powerlifter (yes...bearded and WITH ACNE), and you're dating a Playboy centerfold! He says his girl can deadlift more weight than yours. Uhhh....yeah....and tell me again....why I care? Gimme a break!

I'd tell him to go and make love to his She-Beast, after shaving it's back and popping it's zits, and I'll go home make love to my Playboy bunny.

The Mustang is not in the same league with the Porsche. Period. Straightline performance notwithstanding.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
Gentlemen--

Haven't we visited this subject before, when TJ90 lit up a PT Cruiser? I find the comparison comical. To me, it's analogous to having a friend who's dating an Eastern-bloc She-Male powerlifter (yes...bearded and WITH ACNE), and you're dating a Playboy centerfold! He says his girl can deadlift more weight than yours. Uhhh....yeah....and tell me again....why I care? Gimme a break!

I'd tell him to go and make love to his She-Beast, after shaving it's back and popping it's zits, and I'll go home make love to my Playboy bunny.

The Mustang is not in the same league with the Porsche. Period. Straightline performance notwithstanding.

aside from some exaggeration and some fairly gross metaphors, I agree with your post. The cars don't directly compete, and are very rarely cross-shopped.

They have different audiences and offer the appropriate attributes to those audiences.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:17 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
To me, it's analogous to having a friend who's dating an Eastern-bloc She-Male powerlifter (yes...bearded and WITH ACNE), and you're dating a Playboy centerfold! He says his girl can deadlift more weight than yours. Uhhh....yeah....and tell me again....why I care? Gimme a break!
Best analogy ever
Old 03-19-2007, 12:23 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ask your buddy what his "stang" will be worth in about 10 years. I'm thinking $8K to $10k if he keeps it up.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:17 AM
Crownvic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you really want an alternative to a P-car, read this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/338144-best-bang-for-the-buck-per.html

It is NOT automotive art, and may not have near as much soul - but some find it addictive.

Vic
Old 03-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Hey guys I like this post! Strange how a subject can get you involve at a certain time when in other times you would even not have taken a look at it. On your side of the pond since a few days, flying back to Europe tomorrow, I'm "lost" in Dothan AL and run in a rented 2006 Mustang since three days. A very nice car (it's bright yellow!!). But for nothing on this world I would trade it for my 4s even if that beautiful yellow bird would stay in front at the end of a straight line. We went to Panama city Florida for a day. Cruising at 75mi is cool, but when we passed a rail road crossing, the car reacted in a way that say it all about it's ability to stay on the road in turns! I would be concerned if my Porsche would behave like this on bumps.
I'll post a few pix when I'll be back home.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:53 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
so they took the motor out of the car?
Most likely, no.

Dyno and then, using typical drivetrain losses, compute the hp at the flywheel.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:47 AM
cabfan1968
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

...i can go plunk down 6k on a used sport bike and blow away EVERYTHING on the road but who cares....i can just sit and stare at my S for days......
Old 03-21-2007, 12:17 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

FLYT993 - That's exactly what I was thinking!

My ex has a new Mustang GT, and unlike your friend, he readily admitted my 993 was far superior. And that was before we went for a drive.... I drove the 'stang down 2222, which is a very twisty road with some off-camber turns. When the car hit bumps, the car would jump to the side rather than stick to its trajectory. It has a solid rear axle, right? No independent suspension, right? It's a freakin' dog. Performance and Mustang do not go together. So tell your friend he can have his 0-60. But you'll have him EVERYWHERE else. My ex has had the car about 8 months now, and he is already complaining about rattles and odd noises.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:20 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cabfan1968
...i can go plunk down 6k on a used sport bike and blow away EVERYTHING on the road but who cares....i can just sit and stare at my S for days......
The 911 is faster ..... ..... on the track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnuqiHuLDkQ

996 vs. Yamaha R1
Old 03-21-2007, 12:31 PM
Jukelemon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool.

He made a very interesting comment-one that has been talked about a lot-that the C4 is slower on a dry track than a c2.

Did you guys catch that?

Quick Reply: New Mustang GT vs. my "old Porsche"