Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Tried out a supercharged 993 yesterday....Wow!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 10:07 AM
winsome
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tried out a supercharged 993 yesterday....Wow!!!!

My mechanic arranged a tpc intercooled sc 993 (with the latest uniQ )for me to test drive and I must say that for a power upgrade what more could you ask for. Massive torque huge power and honestly with such power upgrade the price is reasonable. Totally transform the car. For those of us who have kept our NA 993 for number of years and just too emotionally tie up with the car, unwilling to trade for anything else, this upgrade is just so much fun!! I understand there are reliability issue but for those who use their car weekend only I dont think it really post any problem, in fact I talked to two owners and already have the sc installed for four years and have no issue at all. May be it has something to do with our gas here? (we have only 98 available)

Regardless of what I think I am going ahead in this direction. Now for all the sc owners do you mind telling me all the PROBLEMS that you have come across because of the blower? any mechanical defect form the blower itself and the tpc water to air intercooler?

We all know the benefit but I really want to prepare for all the problem that lay ahead.....

But listen to me all those haven't try one must try for an experience and you will be hooked....there will be no turning back. I wish I haven't try it.....for a relatively small entrance fee you get 80% of a TT. I dont know I think its a awesome.

Many thanks

Winsome
Old 03-04-2007, 10:22 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

What is the cost and power & torque improvement?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:07 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

IIRC a TPC intercooled sc will cost around $11k and will get you 90-100 hp.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:24 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

I ran with a TPC supercharged 993 at our Nashville 993 meet yesterday. That car definitely has some power! I want to drive one now (Jeremy - hint, hint!)
Old 03-04-2007, 11:46 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd rather spend more and buy a 96 or 97 turbo. Unless I lived next door to the mechanic that knew what he was doing, I wouldnt even consider it. But thats just me.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:05 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by winsome
My mechanic arranged a tpc intercooled sc 993 (with the latest uniQ )for me to test drive and I must say that for a power upgrade what more could you ask for. Massive torque huge power and honestly with such power upgrade the price is reasonable. Totally transform the car. For those of us who have kept our NA 993 for number of years and just too emotionally tie up with the car, unwilling to trade for anything else, this upgrade is just so much fun!! I understand there are reliability issue but for those who use their car weekend only I dont think it really post any problem, in fact I talked to two owners and already have the sc installed for four years and have no issue at all. May be it has something to do with our gas here? (we have only 98 available)

Regardless of what I think I am going ahead in this direction. Now for all the sc owners do you mind telling me all the PROBLEMS that you have come across because of the blower? any mechanical defect form the blower itself and the tpc water to air intercooler?

We all know the benefit but I really want to prepare for all the problem that lay ahead.....

But listen to me all those haven't try one must try for an experience and you will be hooked....there will be no turning back. I wish I haven't try it.....for a relatively small entrance fee you get 80% of a TT. I dont know I think its a awesome.

Many thanks

Winsome
Hey Winsome ..how ya doing?

Was this a tippy or a manual?

TIA

hmmm...TPC 30 mins from home....
Old 03-04-2007, 03:40 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All else being equal (which it never is) I would rather have a SC'd car. The problem is that it is a conversion. If the engine was purpose built from the ground up to be SC'd, it could be built to equal the Turbo. They both have advantages and disadvantages. The TT was purpose built that way, and so it is the better route if you can afford it. The SC'd car will also never get the $$ back out in resale either which may or may not be a factor. The NA to SC'd convesion will always be cheaper than selling your NA car and buying the TT... unless you do the SC conversion properly!
Old 03-04-2007, 06:03 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Brendan,

You are more than welcome to drive my car. Actually, I would love to swap with your 993 and drive around together for a while to check out your suspension.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:11 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Check out the last video on this page. It is a 3rd and 4th gear run of my non-intercooled supercharged car behind a stock 993tt.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeremy.r...007PorscheMeet
Old 03-04-2007, 06:20 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously been contemplating SC but putting it off for 2007-08 winter project .I have so many things this winter to get done .
Like 993_Pilot stated about the engine aspect being built up but just this past Friday I went to pick up a coupler that goes between transmission shaft to the front wheel shaft (yes i have a C4 ) the parts guy sent me the wrong coupler .The coupler I rereceived I believed it to be for the front wheel shaft off a turbo . The difference between a NA C4 and turbo is quite different in size and thickness otherwise they are the same .The difference is i assume is for the extra HP and torque . So it does make me think that if you supercharge and don`t handle the extra HP carefully you will be more susceptible to more break downs .
Old 03-04-2007, 08:08 PM
rooster20
Intermediate

Who does the software for TPC, even in these cars it is critical to have the software tuned properly. Any other mods can also affect software needs (exhaust, LWFW, clutch...) I'm always curious who is programing when I don't see Garret or equal on the job.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster20
Who does the software for TPC, even in these cars it is critical to have the software tuned properly. Any other mods can also affect software needs (exhaust, LWFW, clutch...) I'm always curious who is programing when I don't see Garret or equal on the job.
Rooster:

Uni-Chip does the software for the TPC kits; Garrett Lim (GIAC) has nothing to do with it.

I'm also concerned with their practice of adding a 7th injector for boost enrichment into a "dry" manifold.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:21 AM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Steve,

Everyone seems to be concerned about the 7th injector but it seems to work fine in the real world.

Actually, my car was the original car that they used to pioneer the supercharger kit. It now has about 13k supercharged miles since 1999 with over 2k miles put on the car by Excellence, an unspecified amount by European Car, and track time by TPC. The motor is all original and uses about a quart of oil every 2k miles.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:45 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I came very close to doing the SC, but a number of things stopped me.

1. I too just don't like the 7th injector. you are putting fuel in an area that was designed for just air, so it is concerning because i can't see a viable way of getting equal distribution of fuel into each cylinder. So whether in practice it works or not is impossible to tell from casual observation. I think more than likely such a solution would run some cylinders fat and others potentially right or lean.

So why is that a big deal.

Overly lean can cause engine problems.
Overy fat will cause pollution & smog control problems.

2. SMOG Legal - here in California we need CARB certification. Which is an unkept promise of TPC

3. Support - Bob Brooks couldn't get the attention of TPC. Lack of support was a big issue as well.

I am very very willing to put supercharge my car, I just want a kit that is properly designed. I want a kit that doesn't have a 7th injector and is SMOG legal (CARB legal to be specific). And I can't understand why TPC or someone else just doesn't build a correct true bolt on kit.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:06 PM
winsome
Instructor

Hi Tony the car I tried was a tiptronic, honestly i haven't really try that hard (someone else car) so i was quite easy on it. but already I was very impress. I was mainly going uphill and the monster torque just keep coming. Don't mistake me my beloved na 993 is still delivering massive fun, especially after I changed to 8:32 ring and pinion. If not because I need to retain the rear seat for my daughter and need the A/C once in a while, the most ideal is to loose some weight. Nothing beat a light weight car on road and track. But I need to be pratical here.

For those of you who know a little of my cars background realize that it started out as a old purple car with tiptronic. Now the car is in speed yellow RS lookalike and with decent mod to it, and from tip to manuel (who says it cannot be done and I track it regularly run like a dream). Too much effort put into it so it is going to stay. I really enjoy very minute of it and I am sure most 964 and 993 are alike so I am sure you know what I am referring to......

the tpc sc 993 pulled like a train and it really added ten times to the fun factor. And so far with all the owners that I talked to personal seems to be quite happy, most concerns seems to be coming not from the owners but us......I dont know may be some feed back from owners will be nice. I have search and read all the previous sc post so I needed so new input epecially for those who installed the tpc water to air intercooler and uniQ. and also those who track their sc how they drive and any issue arise?

Winsome

Quick Reply: Tried out a supercharged 993 yesterday....Wow!!!!