Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife won't ride in car, therefore WTS (and WTB)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 09:22 AM
lowblow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy SH%^-

I'm wetting my pants reading this. My wife loves the looks of my car but doesn't care to drive it. She doesn't necessarily like the harshness associated with a true sports car or the lack of "bells and whistles" and is too afraid that she may scratch or wreck it and that I would kill her, chop her into pieces and bury her in the backyard.

Long story short, whos car is it?. If it's both of yours, (driven by both), then make a compromise and sell it for a different color/ car. If it's YOUR car, tell her to pipe down and deal with it.

Of course jmho.....

mike
Old 02-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep the car and draw a cross on your/her kitchen wall each time she's wearing or buying something red

...why not arrange a Rennmeet at your home for Guard red owners only?

Sorry, it's too much, I couldn't be serious about it.

Long ago, I "dropped" a girl friend I was with for more than 3 years. The reason: 2 years in a row she abandoned me at 23:59:30 on 12/31st to run to a phone and call her mother to wish her a happy new year! The second time I wasn't there anymore when she came back! I found the ideal one and am married for 25 years.

I think if you give an inch on this one you'll have a hard life with her!

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

I have modified the 993 to the point I don't think my wife cares for it much; unbaffled Supercups, M030 ROW, Bilsteins and so on. However, not once has she complained about the cost or the car. I love post like this... there is a reason I have been married for over 30 years!
Old 02-27-2007, 09:51 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
I have modified the 993 to the point I don't think my wife cares for it much; unbaffled Supercups, M030 ROW, Bilsteins and so on. However, not once has she complained about the cost or the car. I love post like this... there is a reason I have been married for over 30 years!
Its posts like this that define why Im not married.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:52 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NightFlyer
I say get yourself a mistress that will ride in it with you.
Rephrased: I say get yourself a mistress that will ride you in it.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:55 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's your car and your passion and you like the color, why not come to an amicable compromise elsewhere?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:56 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter R.
Of course, the ONLY car available in the color she likes will be a 993TT. And you can take THAT to the bank
Peter has the right idea. Look at this as an opportunity.

Also, assuming she has her own car, is it really the car she wants/likes? If not, get her into something she does. Has worked well for me and I get her hand-me-downs for winter beater/schlepping duty.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:56 AM
aperalta
Instructor

Diamonds ARE a girl's best friend. I bought my wife a new wedding band (big diamond included) and an ML 350. Now, as I search RL and the web for my pcar, she gives me back massages. Expensive---yes, but well worth it! All kiding aside, it sounds like there may be more of an issue than just the color. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 AM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Others have said it, and some of them sound semi-joking, but the fact is if you change anything about that car you'll resent her for it. And that won't be good for either of you. Work it out with her however you have to, but keep the car just the way it is.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:33 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

I agree with the fact that it is more than just a color issue. Control perhaps? Who knows. My wife likes the car. Actually drives it sometimes (well I might add) and does not give me any kind of ultimatum. Perhaps that is the difference between a partnership and a dictatorship? In any case, I think it is time to sit down and have a good conversation.
Good luck
Ron
Old 02-27-2007, 10:55 AM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just forward your wife a link to this post. She should get the picture ...
Old 02-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Jukelemon
Racer

What I agree with is that you can't sum up a man's marriage/character by a post that is 500 characters long.

The question was should I paint the car, not should I pay RL to pyschoanalyze my relationship and my short comings.

Don't paint your car. For one, it would be A LOT of money to do so. Look for a trade. To be honest, I don't really care for Guard's red at all either-mind you that IS the color of my 993 BUT not by choice. Just what I found in the condition/model I wanted. I would MUCH prefer Polar Silver-my favorite which many consider boring.

I don't like coming up to a red light and having the car say HELLO, I am here, look at me. Maybe your wife feels the same. MOST people feel inferior or uncomfortable in a Porsche because of its cultural iconic symbol. As well, Red is the WORST color to keep looking good-well, minus black.

Good luck and don't listen to BS like tell your wife to cook a meal or whatever. Folks that say stuff like that are the one's that you used to **** in their pants in HS/College when a girl was close to them. Now they date weak women so they can control them-keeping them away from the little boy that used to cry over the cheerleaders in their gym class.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:07 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
These responses have been hilarious!

For goodness sake, man, grow some mothereffinballs!! Who cares if your wife doesn't like red?! My wife knows that the Porsche is off limits, not that she would want to put forth any mandates on my cars. She knows how important cars and driving is to me. "Honey, I'm going to buy a 997."..."Okay, are you going to race it?" "Honey, I'm going to Detroit to pick up a 2002 Miata." "Oh, cool. What color is it? Will you be back in time for my mom's birthday?" "Hey, babe, I'm thinking of doing the Road Atlanta club race. Does that work with our plans?"..."You've already scheduled it, right? Why are you asking me?"
LOL.......+1
I only get......"how much are you spending now? <<<eyebrows clinched tightly towards center of head>>> and "when are you going to spend some quality time with you daughter.......and not just watch TV or computer games...."

Aside from that, the car and the obsession around which life is lived, is off limits. Oh but I did find out the other day that 70k for a GT3 will be to much and not likely happen unless I come up with another chunk of change. She hadn't griped at the 50k's, so I know I'm in Turbo land if I so wish....but I really want to be in GT3ville.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:27 AM
smddanny
Instructor

My wife doesn't like to ride in mine either. Something about getting tossed around the car or the imminent crash around every corner. Works for me, I am happy to not have in it. Thing is she caneasily fall asleep in the Lotus Europa that is a roller skate on wheels. I can't figure it out nor do I try. (Glad she can't drive a shift actually!)

Danny Shapiro
96 993 T
Midnite blue
Old 02-27-2007, 12:43 PM
TYNUSKT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Would she ride in this vehicle?

You dont even want to know what I would say if I were in your shoes. Ok, I would say "Listen, this is my car and I love the color. You are hurting my feelings and I dont apprecaite it" Then start crying. Ok, thats the wishy washy version.

Here's what I would really do. "FU, shut up about the color. This is my car. Im sick and tired of your f'ing bit$#$% about the color. If you dont like it, I get it. Just shut the F*&^ up about it, ok. I'd appreciate that. I love you but it hurts me when you do this to me." and then mix a drink.

Im a straight up person and say whats on my mind. No honey do guy here.
Hilarious and could not have said it better myself. BTW...your Bronco is awesome!

Quick Reply: Wife won't ride in car, therefore WTS (and WTB)