Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife won't ride in car, therefore WTS (and WTB)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 01:09 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TYNUSKT
Hilarious and could not have said it better myself. BTW...your Bronco is awesome!
I figured that is being honest as it gets. The foul language probably isnt the best words to use but in the real world, these words are used in conversations.

Dont buy diamonds or dog treats to win over affection. My dog gets a bone because I want to give it to him. Not because I have to.

I have seen people to tell others to buy the wife something to make her feel better so you can do something to make you feel better. I dont buy that. My buddy did that and came home one day to find his wife sleeping with the landscaper. The landscaping was his present to her. True story.

If I buy something that I really dont need, I put money in my son's 529 plan. Its like a matching funds account for the future. I started it when he was 2 weeks old. So everytime I buy something, I just say "By the way, I just put $500 in Nathans 529 plan" If someone ever critizes me for saving for my sons education as a result of me buying things that I want to, I will use foul language. Is this how you use kids to get even?

The Bronco is a fun vehicle.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:24 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
These responses have been hilarious!

For goodness sake, man, grow some mothereffinballs!! Who cares if your wife doesn't like red?! My wife knows that the Porsche is off limits, not that she would want to put forth any mandates on my cars. She knows how important cars and driving is to me. "Honey, I'm going to buy a 997."..."Okay, are you going to race it?" "Honey, I'm going to Detroit to pick up a 2002 Miata." "Oh, cool. What color is it? Will you be back in time for my mom's birthday?" "Hey, babe, I'm thinking of doing the Road Atlanta club race. Does that work with our plans?"..."You've already scheduled it, right? Why are you asking me?"
Cool wife
My wife told me to buy a Porsche as I deserved to have one and I ended up spending twice what I budgeted! Oh it's a Guard Red and it is a stunning colour on the 993. If you like the colour, keep it. You will regret selling it.

Harry
Old 02-27-2007, 05:36 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you already had the car when you married her... She needs to learn to live with it.
If she had a chance to give her input before you bought it and didn't... She needs to learn to live with it.
If you ignored her input when she suggested that you find a different color before the purchase, then it is going to be expensive... one way or another!
If you must change the color, I would agree with the people who suggested you sell yours and buy a different car. Good luck with the decision.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:55 PM
993Dude
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the risk of piling on after the horse is out of the barn, I can't say that I have the perfect answer but here is my approach. I wanted a P-car all my life. As with some here, I had two posters side by side as a young man. One Farrah Fawcett, the other a 911. My wife knows my penchant for german cars and supports me as long as she gets to share. I bought a tiptronic cab, niether option I would have bought on my own. If it were my car, I would have gone for a coupe with a stick. Now, when searching for the car, she put her foot down that she didn't want black exterior or gray interior. I didn't want white and neither of us wanted guards red. Arena red yes, but not guards. I ended up with blue which is my favorite color and cashmere interior, both with which she was fine.

All trivial information - but here is the key. She was involved up front so that when the car showed up there were no surprises. Perhaps you found the car before the wife which resulted in the lack of synergy. That being the case, my humble advice would be to buy another car if you expect her to ride in it, drive it and enjoy it. Assuming you involve her in the search, this will be the best way to get you both on the same page.

Now on to find me that coupe with a stick since I was so successful with her buy-in that I may have lost the cab to the wife. Not a bad problem to have...

Last edited by 993Dude; 02-27-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:53 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by tj90
This has got to be a phony post.... What husband would listen to his wife like that?! Do you critique the the color of her freaking vacuum cleaner? Cowboy up! Go for a drive and let her clean the house.
LMAO!

Hound Dog. Keep your car and your dignity.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Hound Dog???
Old 02-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Howdy993
Well Hound Dog???
His wife does not like the color of his computer, so he is not allowed to use it anymore........
Old 02-27-2007, 07:24 PM
CDILL
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 11 Posts

Just remember there is always something younger and dirtier that will appreciate the color red.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:42 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Fillipe
His wife does not like the color of his computer, so he is not allowed to use it anymore........
Ohm, amn, I'm dyin so ghard from laughetr I can;t trtype!!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:57 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Filipe

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Ohm, amn, I'm dyin so ghard from laughetr I can;t trtype!!
OMG!!! Me too!!! Filipe, you killed it with that line.

Hound Dog asked the wrong question of this group.....i.e., let the wife dictate the Porsche you drive? WTF!!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:30 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fillipe
Oh Gawd...too funny Fillipe.
But seriously...Hound Dog might simply be in the dog house. hmmm...I wonder what color it is?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:43 PM
98_993_cab
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This post is just dying to be converted into a poll! Maybe more than one?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile Sometimes, they.....

hide them in a jar, generally found over the mantle, with a spot light shinning down on them. At least that is how my wife does it.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:58 PM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CDILL
Just remember there is always something younger and dirtier that will appreciate the color red.
Classic!

As a counceller would say, "and how does that make you feel?"
Holy crap, I cant believe this thread. Hilarious
Old 02-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Hound Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had no idea I would prompt this much of a response. I had supposed that you folks may have dealt with spouses/significant others that had issues with your p-car and would share your insights. Thank you to all of those who did. Several of you though chose to share other thoughts for which I am less grateful.

Those telling me to lose my wife and similar suggestions, however good hearted (and I will assume that they were good hearted), can go jump in a lake (in a good hearted way). My wife is the best decision I ever made, much better than my porsche or any car or anything else. For those of you that can't appreciate where I'm coming from on that, I hope that some day you meet a really wonderful person and spend the rest of your lives with them. For those of you that can, well, you know what I mean.

If my wife would like the car in some other color than Guards Red, she can have it and I'd fight to the death and spend my last dollar and ounce of energy, blood, sweat and tears to make it that way. Quite frankly, if she wants anything that I can't give her, I'd fight to the death trying and spend my last dollar and ounce of energy, blood sweat and tears trying to give it to her. That's not being a weenie or anything - that's the investment I'm willing to make for the wonderful woman who gave me the privilege of spending her life with me. You may feel differently about your relationship or choose to express it differently or not at all, and I respect that totally.

She loves the car because it makes me happy, but I think the red is just more than she can take. I don't fully understand the reason for that, but that's the way it is. I had hoped that you guys would give me a clear "don't paint it/buy another" (I particularly like the TT idea, but was thinking more of a C4S in some other color than GR). I suppose I got that, but I also got a few more suggestions, obviously. While I appreciate the wide range of input, some of it went well beyond what to do about the wonderful 993 that I bought in a color that's less than my wife's favorite.

I did learn several things from your posts though:

1) There are many who read this board more than once per day - I don't. She hasn't taken my computer or whatever the, quite frankly, very frustrating remark was about that.
2) I will not repaint my car and will view this as an opportunity to buy another that both she and I can appreciate. Hence the title of the post -- "WTS (and WTB)."
3) Whoever had the idea to involve her in the buying process had a good idea. I didn't involve her that deeply in the last process, but will next time. Very good idea - thanks very much. She likes the car (other than the color) very much - we have several friends with newer and older p-cars and she definitely appreciates the nuance of the 993. She simply doesn't like the color.
4) People don't read posts very closely. I never said that she wanted me to sell it - I only said that she didn't like to ride in it due to the color and I was trying to figure out what to do so that she would ride in it.
5) Cowboy up? Get some *****? I'd rather have my wife involved in one of the most enjoyable parts of my life (the p-car) than not and I have enough cowboy ***** or whatever other genitalia or body parts are required to state that publicly. Different people have different relationships - I'd like her to be involved in this part of my life. Your relationship may be different with your spouse and how they participate in the p-car part of your life, and that's fine. I doubt though that whatever aspects of our lives we choose to involve our spouses in (or not) is even remotely related to any particular physical attribute.

I've watched you guys engage in flame wars and get folks angry at one another and I never thought I'd be there. I couldn't believe people had the capacity to evoke such anger through posts that involve, for the most part, just cars.

I was wrong.

Hound Dog

Quick Reply: Wife won't ride in car, therefore WTS (and WTB)