993 Forum 1995-1998

RSD Rear Seat Delete - Can you build one PICS

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RSD Rear Seat Delete - Can you build one PICS

In another post of mine where I am installing a RSD many PM's and questions were asked about building this unit. After looking at mine I don't know if it as easy as it looks on the surface. Here is what I have so far:

Pic 1 : You can see that the metal bars are not straight across, they angle down toward the quarter panels. Also since my RSD was NOT a factory option on my car the harness that locks the bin doors is not present. I have solved this by using glovebox locks from 2 older 911's and had the cylinders keyed to my car. So in short 1 key opens all locks. Also in the other post there was some confusion in regards to the doors on the RSD being the same as the stock 993 glove box doors. Well (to add a fly to the ointment) the measurements are not even close. The stock 993 glovebox doors are 16 1/4" wide X 7 1/2" high. The RSD doors are 15 1/4" wide X 8 1/2" high. So I don't know if you can make up the differences in measurements when custom making a box. The 993 glove box door also seems to have a slight curve that follows the lower dash and the RSD doors seem to be more straight. Also someone stated that the 993 glovebox doors could be used as the RSD doors. Another issue is the lock/****. If you used 2 US versions one lock will be in the center and one lock will be towards a quarter panel. Maybe the use of a RHD glove box door would center the locks/****. All in all not a simple bolt on procedure.

Pic 2: View from the back of the car looking forward

Pic 3: Side angle

Pic 4: Side angle:

Pic 5: Underside - Note the metal framework around doors

Pic 6: Underside closeup

Pic 7: Underside closeup

can you build one:

Well anything can be built, but IMHO I would look for a used one even though they are hard to obtain it would be difficult to match the factory look. The doors on the RSD are RSD specific as far as I know.

Any comments or additions are encouraged

Mike
Old 02-21-2007, 11:51 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike - Did you try to source (or order from a dealer) the harness for the solenoid locks? I don't have this harness either although I do have the solenoid plunger (same as you have in the pics) on my RSD...from what I recall, the harness automatically locks the bin doors when you arm the alarm....great to have for a cab
Old 02-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Arena993
Race Car

David:

I went the easy route on this one. I used 2 glove box locks from older 911's and had the locks keyed to fit my car. Simplier and less expensive. I will probably never use them I just like the shelf part the best. Sourcing the part and running the wires was more than I wanted to do. Just lazy I guess. You are correct if the harness is run the doors will lock with the alarm system. I am going to install some LED's so there will be light when I open the doors. Why? I don't know as said above they will probably never even be opened.

mike
Old 02-21-2007, 12:16 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Arena993
....I will probably never use them I just like the shelf part the best....
If you are never going to use the bins then IMHO it would look cleaner and more practical to fab a RSD w/o the doors that is about 4-6 inches lower. This would be easier to fab then an RSD w/ the doors (I did one in high school for my 81' Celica ) and you would have more usable space. The height of the package shelf is too high to be able to hold more than a few things when the top is down. I thought about doing this before installing mine but just didn't have the time.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by David in LA
If you are never going to use the bins then IMHO it would look cleaner and more practical to fab a RSD w/o the doors that is about 4-6 inches lower. This would be easier to fab then an RSD w/ the doors (I did one in high school for my 81' Celica ) and you would have more usable space. The height of the package shelf is too high to be able to hold more than a few things when the top is down. I thought about doing this before installing mine but just didn't have the time.

David:

Totally agree the RSD sits way too high and it's because of the doors. If the RSD came without doors I probably would be complaining that it didn't have doors. Never happy

Mike
Old 02-21-2007, 01:06 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Mike - Thanks for all that info! In the future I would seriously consider getting someone to fabricate a similar piece without the bins, bars, etc. as I would be using the whole thing as an audio rack anyway.
Another question does come up though - if you make the whole thing "shorter" would it cover the sides and back of the remaining space well?
There was a former Rennlister from Atlanta (?) who had a custom RSD made that did not remove the rear seats/ belts and I did not like the look at all.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:15 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by rkb
Mike - Thanks for all that info! In the future I would seriously consider getting someone to fabricate a similar piece without the bins, bars, etc. as I would be using the whole thing as an audio rack anyway.
Another question does come up though - if you make the whole thing "shorter" would it cover the sides and back of the remaining space well?
There was a former Rennlister from Atlanta (?) who had a custom RSD made that did not remove the rear seats/ belts and I did not like the look at all.
RKB:

I would leave the custom RSD at the same height as factory or you will not be able to cover the sides and back correctly. It would be a breeze to fabricate one as an audio rack and leave all the doors off. Taking the rear seats out is a PITA. I hated it, took 1/2 the day. Bolts everywhere. By all means remove the seats it would look half-*** IMHO to leave the seats.

Mike
Old 02-21-2007, 01:20 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

For a cab you have to remove the rear seats, but for a coupe I think you can leave them in although IMHO it would look funny.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by David in LA
For a cab you have to remove the rear seats, but for a coupe I think you can leave them in although IMHO it would look funny.
Dave:

How much fun did you have removing your rear seats?

mike
Old 02-21-2007, 01:37 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Dave:

How much fun did you have removing your rear seats?

mike
it was a long time ago so I think I subconsciously forgot the pain! but seriously, it wasn't so bad once I figured out how it all attached
Old 02-21-2007, 01:43 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Also since my RSD was NOT a factory option on my car the harness that locks the bin doors is not present.
Have you checked under the carpeting near the seatbelts? That is where I found the connectors in my 964RSA and I'm not seeing any RSD specific wiring harness for the 993 so your situation should be the same.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Have you checked under the carpeting near the seatbelts? That is where I found the connectors in my 964RSA and I'm not seeing any RSD specific wiring harness for the 993 so your situation should be the same.
Going to look now again. I feel I'm in David's shoes. NO HARNESS. But it is worth a second lookie just to make sure. Heck the car is all apart anyway. I wish they would wire the Porsches like they do my Toyota all the wiring is there just plug the accessory up and be done with it. Back in a little.

Mike

Update: NO JOY
Old 02-21-2007, 02:22 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I've got an excellent DIY on rear seat removal that another Rennlister sent me.
I would post it but I need permission first (but I cannot remember who sent it to me )
So, if you have a cashmere interior cab, with a lot of extra speakers in the rear quarter panels, and you sent me that DIY, may I post it?

Mike - can you take some exact measurements for me. BTW - March isn't going to work for me
Old 02-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by rkb
I've got an excellent DIY on rear seat removal that another Rennlister sent me.
I would post it but I need permission first (but I cannot remember who sent it to me )
So, if you have a cashmere interior cab, with a lot of extra speakers in the rear quarter panels, and you sent me that DIY, may I post it?

Mike - can you take some exact measurements for me. BTW - March isn't going to work for me
Be happy to measure any part. what do you need measured. Since the top part of the RSD is an odd shape I would suggest getting a piece of heavy cardboard and make a template. Take the template and trace it on the plywood and cut it out. I can measure anything you need though so just ask. That sucks I won't see the car in March. Terry has just left for Phoenix anyway. he will be back in a week, but just to close on his house. What part of AZ are you moving to? I am sure he will end up turning wrenches out there as he has over 20 years on Porsches.

Mike
Old 02-21-2007, 02:32 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Update: NO JOY
Are you looking in the cabriolet shown in your avatar or a coupe? According to PET the cabriolet has no RSD specific harness so the connectors have to be tucked under the carpet somewhere.

Quick Reply: RSD Rear Seat Delete - Can you build one PICS