Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT : Going to San Diego this weekend (maybe longer)....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:08 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mind Over Motorsports
Thanks Martin.....I have to throw in a nod to Hodad's in Ocean Beach as well. IMO their bacon cheeseburger in THE best I've ever had.
Oh, yeah I forgot about OB ("Old Bikers") My favorite spot is South Beach. The best soft tacos anywhere (fish, shrimp) combined with an ocean view.

+1 on Rocky's Pacific Beach. Superb hamburgers. Also, Downtown Johnny Brown's in the Civic Center.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:19 PM
cmfracer
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must go to the Air and Space Museum. Must see for anyone visiting San Diego. My dad is involved in the Austin Healy club in SD/National and they organize several road runs which are open to all. Let me know if you want more info.

-Steve
Old 02-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Architecture....

Balboa Park has some great old buildings...but my favorite is the Salk Institute in La Jolla, across from UCSD...this is a building that is a must see, overlooking Black's Beach, just south of the glider port.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:50 PM
curveraider
Racer

GOD I WANT TO GO BACK!!! I now live in the Bay Area, which is great for work and raising kids... but SD holds my heart. Like everybody else has said it is a great place to live. If you have the opportunity to move there, take it and never look back
Old 02-13-2007, 02:07 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you plan to come down to the Gaslamp PM me. I run a restuarant/bar/nightclub down there and will happly take care of a fellow rennlister.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool San Diego...its all about...

the weather. It never gets cold there. I moved to the Central Coast, paso Robles. It do get cold here. Forget about riding a bike year round, unless you really want to layer up...I don't. Another great excuse to sit on my butt!

We rented out our Solana Beach house...we'll be back to SD in 2008!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Bret928
Drifting

Everyone had hit on a lot of great places & ideas. The wife & I (BK – before kids) used to hit OB, Old Town and the Gas Lamp all the time. We now take in a lot of the more family friendly stuff and let me tell ya there’s a lot of that. Anyway besides the beaches of course (Coronado by the Hotel Del is my favorite) we’ve got Sea Port Village (too touristy for me), the Embarcadero with the Star of India & the USS Midway, SeaWorld & Legoland, the “World Famous” Zoo & Wild Animal park and the Balboa Park Museums. Whatever your tastes are you’ll find something to float your boat. Culture & history, sport fishing, nightlife & good food everywhere.

Cost of living is the biggest hurtle – housing is two to three times the national average (some areas worse). An apartment in east county will run about $1400 a month for a shack while the average house in my neck of the woods Poway (20min to a half hour from down town San Diego) is about $500,000 & up. Closer to town more but the further out you live the cost drops off a bit. Oh sure you’ll find cheaper places nearer town but like anywhere else that probably means a crappy neighborhood.

Careful of the morning & afternoon commutes – as a half hour drive can grind down to two & a half hour crawl. Fuel prices are another issue I’ve found that the price at the pump here in San Diego can run $0.25 to $0.50 higher than the national average. During the major gas crunch we where paying about a buck more than most folks.

Oh and don’t forget to get a Fish Taco at Rubio’s.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:32 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a native San Diegian (grew up in South Mission Beach) and wouldn't ever move unless I was forced at gunpoint! This is the best place to live & work in th USA & we have so many attractions that are worthwhile that you will have to move here just so you have enough time to see it all.

Since I saw your plan to possibly visit Ocean Beach, I highly recommend the fish tacos/seafood at South Beach Bar & Grill right next to the pier, the super hot bartending "twins" will definately get your attention. As a matter of fact I'll meet you there and buy you a beer just so I can oogle them some more......LOL

ZP44
Old 02-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Bar Food at the Brigantine over looking the Del Mar racetrack is really good, especially the fish tacos and spinach salad. Fidel's Mexican Restaurant in Solana Beach is a fun place, good food...also have a great taco bar, at the bar. I prefer the Taco Bar to the restaurant, very fresh.

Check out the Village of Rancho Santa Fe. There are top restaurants there....you can spend a night at La Valencia for a treat, world class spa stuff...you may see Viper Bob there.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:55 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 573 Posts

[QUOTE=alpinadvl]1st, any "must do" events or places to go?
I'd personally recommend The Pizza Port, a combination microbrewery and pizza palace. Located near the corner of PCH and Lomas Sante Fe in Solana Beach. By far the best pizza and beer combo i've found in many years of diligent research.
I live here because it reliably offers the best weather for year round road cycling and skydiving.
Plenty-o-jobs too.
it's getting too crowded and not a cheap place to live, but no more expensive than many major metro areas and offers the superb weather.
it had something to do with meeting CA emission standards. This may have faded since most cars are 50 state compliant now.

Enjoy!

Craig
Old 02-13-2007, 02:58 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

And we aren't joking or exaggerating either. This is paradise, even if you can only afford a condo (Regular house in RP now, but we did that step).

Family, Beaches, Great Carne Asada, easy access to the great roads of rural LA county, 7 hours to Hawaii if you really wanted to go.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Where are you moving from?

Not many places in the world like SD!

I snapped this pic off my patio several weeks ago. That's Catalina Island in the background.
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2007, 07:09 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am living in the "police state" of Maryland/Virginia/DC... just moved down here from New York.

I had a couple of friends move out from New York to San Diego, and they cant say enough good things. I am always a New Yorker.... but looking for a place to settle down.

I really appreciate everyone's comments ! I (and my gf) have read everything twice...and I am sure to read them again before we head out.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:47 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lived there for about 13 years including college and although Santa Barbara is more beautiful because we're surrounded by state parks etc. I really do miss Diego. About the only thing I think SD doesn't meet or beat SB is in the hiking and mountain biking department. I like it in Diego so much that I've actually been considering a move back there. Lots and lots of things to do down there. Be sure to hit the gaslamp district when you go. Have fun!
Old 02-14-2007, 02:44 AM
maroonedlandshark
Intermediate

If you want to live here I hope you are financially set. The cost of living is off the charts. I have lived here for all of my 51 years and have seen a great many changes. This used to be a sleepy little Navy town, but now we are the 7th largest city in the US. Yes we have incredable weather, but we also have crime, gang violence, overcrowding, gridlock traffic and to top it off the city is broke. Pot holes don't get fixed, streetlights remain broken, trees don't get trimmed etc. because the city has had to cut services to try to get back in the black. The Gaslamp Quarter is a cool place, if you don't mind paying $8.00 for a draft beer and $20.00 to park your car for the evening. I'm not trying to sound bitter, but if you decide to move here make sure your tourist blinders are off and your eyes are wide open.

Quick Reply: OT : Going to San Diego this weekend (maybe longer)....