Sponsored by:

Front Strut Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Monte_Christo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Strut Replacement

so far you guys have been great but have to put you to the test now.

this past monday i hit a pot hole (imagine that in downtown houston) and blew out the front strut on the drivers side. Quote for replacing both front strutswith monroe shocks was ~$1200, bilstein was a couple hundred more.

questions for you guys is:

1) where can i get the bilstein stuts for the best price?

2) is it reasonable for me to change the struts? If so, any DIY recommended?

thanks for all your help.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:03 PM
P7269
Advanced

I would take a look at this link and see if it is doable for you. Rennlister Jeff posted this a while back and it looks petty detailed.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...ad.php?t=258810 .

Good Luck!
Old 02-08-2007, 03:05 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Surprised you have had no responses to this yet..........Try ViperBob for replacement struts and as for doing it yourself, easy esp the front........find Jeff's (in the air) write up and go from there.......by the way you may wish to consider repplacing the whole set up with M03 stuff, depending on how old your dampers are.......
Old 02-08-2007, 03:06 PM
dhicks
Drifting

P7269 must have been typing at the same time......that link is the DIY I refered to.....it is really good
Old 02-08-2007, 03:08 PM
P7269
Advanced

Bad link, Try this one.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/258810-diy-suspension-install-for-dummies.html
Old 02-08-2007, 03:45 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by P7269
Or click in "me" signature.

OF COURSE it is reasonable to do it yourself. You will need a professional alignment afterward, no matter what. But, it really isn't that hard.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:31 PM
ChrisA
Advanced

I did the DIY using Jeff's instructions as an excellent guide. The fronts are actually very easy and straightforward (your quote seems a bit high), but I would recommend doing all four at the same time with the same manufacture, like Bilstein HD's, chances are if you have the original shocks regardless of the mileage they are gone. Also great time to lower the car so it is no longer mistaken for the local SUV.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:58 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Or click in "me" signature.

OF COURSE it is reasonable to do it yourself. You will need a professional alignment afterward, no matter what. But, it really isn't that hard.
Jeff
Your DIY explanation is just brilliant. I'm going to have a go when the goodies arrive. You make it look so easy.
Cheers
Old 02-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Viper Bob has the best prices.....hands down. Sold me my Bistien fronts for $700 bucks.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:58 AM
Monte_Christo
Advanced

thanks for the feedback guys

will you talk to me a bit more about the ROW suspension vs the americana version ... want to know pro's/ con's and how much it will cost ... one con i can think of is bottoming out with the roads in houston

also keep in mind my 911 is a daily driver not a showroom piece, alternate between my zx-9 and the porsche for commuting to work

muchas gracias
Old 02-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Monte_Christo
Advanced

one other thing ... is viper bob on rennlist? if not, how do i contact?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The best advice is from Bob at VB Motorsports

vbmotorsports@gmail.com

Bob: 650-743-6801

He will tell you everything you need to know and has the best prices.

Mike
Old 02-13-2007, 09:41 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Monte_Christo
thanks for the feedback guys

will you talk to me a bit more about the ROW suspension vs the americana version ... want to know pro's/ con's and how much it will cost ... one con i can think of is bottoming out with the roads in houston

also keep in mind my 911 is a daily driver not a showroom piece, alternate between my zx-9 and the porsche for commuting to work

muchas gracias
I unfortunately don't have a lot of time to respond in detail. In fact, I wish I could just say "Buy the ROW MO30 with HDs and be done with it. " Which, by the way, is probably what you will do after you thoroughly research the subject.

In short,

MO30 springs are progressive rate springs compared to the stock linear rate springs. In a nutshell, the MO30 will ride just a tad more rigid than the stock springs when going down the highway, but will be infinitely better as they load up in the corners (i.e. as they load up, the spring rate increases).

The MO30s come in both ROW version and USA. The USA are longer to provide the much maligned SUV ride height. The choice is yours--but we will strip you of your Rennlist Membership if you choose unwisely.

You will not "bottom out" as long as you don't push the envelope on lowering the car. I lowered my car to just above the Porsche 993RS ride height, which is the lowest of the Porsche specified street heights. Although many like the look and feel of the RS ride height, you can set yours a bit higher at the ROW Sport setting. I can pretty much gaurantee that you won't have any problems at this height unless you go off road or even your potholes in Texas are big. (Michigan roads are one of the worst in the nation and I fared fine near RS height).

Well, ... gotta go, but let us know if you have any other specific questions.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:56 AM
911nut
Advanced

Just finished changing all shocks and springs (HD's and M033 for stock ride quality). The work was extremely simple, especially with Jeffs DIY. Took me about 12 hours total, including a slave cylinder change. The ride and ride heights makes the car feel like new.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:26 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911nut
Just finished changing all shocks and springs (HD's and M033 for stock ride quality). The work was extremely simple, especially with Jeffs DIY. Took me about 12 hours total, including a slave cylinder change. The ride and ride heights makes the car feel like new.
Cool, another "user"! Congrats.

Quick Reply: Front Strut Replacement