Sponsored by:

Hifi sound question and ipod question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 07:08 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Hifi sound question and ipod question

Okay, I'm flying to NY tomorrow to pick up my new '96 C4, and although the written description implied that the car had the hifi sound option, I don't think it does (photo below). The car and description are perfect in every other detail, I think this was just a glitch on their part.

Is this a big deal? Does the hifi sound option really sound noticeably better? (Note- this is a street car for me, so I don't really care if the std audio weighs less...)

Also, I assume there are ipod adapters available to connect to the CD changer port? I like the idea of keeping the cassette player to eliminate the temptation for someone to bash out my window for a free CD player.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:25 PM
PG993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right. the car in the photo does not have the Hi-fi option since the pods are missing. No matter, If you like your sound then the hi-fi option would not help that much. However, the speaker pods in the Hi-fi optioned cars are very usefull if you decided to install an aftermarket head unit and an amp. The pods are good enough to keep intact with the addition of these two pieces. At least for a little while! I have a Audison amp and Clarion head unit running the stock pod speakers and it sounds good notwithstanding the lack of bass.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:42 PM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love way the the red accents from the guage needles, seatbelt receptacles and floor-mat script look on that interior. I've got the HiFi option with Nokia sound, I'm not impressed, you won't be missing much. Open your windows and sunroof and listen to the engine wail above 5k RPM. Assume the GRIN!
Congrats,
Mark
Old 01-31-2007, 08:22 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PG993
You are right. the car in the photo does not have the Hi-fi option since the pods are missing. No matter, If you like your sound then the hi-fi option would not help that much. However, the speaker pods in the Hi-fi optioned cars are very usefull if you decided to install an aftermarket head unit and an amp. The pods are good enough to keep intact with the addition of these two pieces. At least for a little while! I have a Audison amp and Clarion head unit running the stock pod speakers and it sounds good notwithstanding the lack of bass.
What are the "pods" you are referring to that are missing in the picture?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:16 PM
Harold_C
Track Day

I think PG993 is referring to the Nokia speaker pods in the doors. If you look at the above pic, there seems to only be the one mid-ranged speaker by the map pocket. The Hi-Fi option had a dual speaker setup with a single piece of mesh covering both.

Here's a pic of the "pod" exposed:

Old 01-31-2007, 11:21 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

The HiFi stuff (door pods, amp etc.) can be had every so often on ebay and from dismantlers for not a whole helluvalot of money. It is better than the stock setup, but it's old tech no matter which factory radio option you have. I know that most new aftermarket head units have an ipod hookup or interface, then you're into a new amp and of course speakers...It all depends what level of audio nut you are.
The stock radio will be 100% fine for your roadtrip from NY to Ohio tomorrow, however. Enjoy the trip!
Old 02-01-2007, 12:12 AM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Guys, thanks for the info.

And Matt, thanks much for checking out my car at the dealer-- now I can sleep easy tonight, then off to the airport at 6AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:55 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

If you would like to keep your headunit but have controlled your Ipod then you should have a look to the following link http://www.mp3yourcar.com
Old 02-01-2007, 08:01 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

If you will control you Ipod via your existing headunit and CD changer jack you should have a look to the following link http://www.mp3yourcar.com
Old 02-01-2007, 11:11 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

Looks like a nice buy.... I am in NYC and also on a 993 quest.... where did you find it? Thanks
Old 02-01-2007, 11:39 PM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

I went from RF iPod interface through the radio to Alpine direct and there is such a big difference in quality and sensitivity! For $200-300 replace your head unit and get the right sound! I still can't believe the difference it made.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:30 AM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ppashley
Looks like a nice buy.... I am in NYC and also on a 993 quest.... where did you find it? Thanks
Found it on both Autotrader.com and Cars.com, picked it up today from Pepe Porsche in White Plains. They also have a 95, I think it's a cab.

Here's the Cars.com search I used:
http://cars.com/go/search/advanced_s...7&aff=national

You'll want to change to your zip code! Also note that I required either the word "silver" or "white", you may want to change or eliminate that.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:39 AM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

centerpunch,

When I was looking for a CAB I checked the one from Pepe Porsche. I walked away as it already has 60k miles and I was looking for less miles. Never or less the car overall was in good condition and the dealership also made an trustful impression to me.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:26 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

Also consider the Alpine CDA 9857 head unit - has full IPOD control/display/charging. IPOD stays in glove compartment, hidden.. Upgrade to some nice new speakers (I went with MB Quart) and you will not believe the huge improvement in sound over stock..

Quick Reply: Hifi sound question and ipod question