993 Forum 1995-1998

Inexpensive Garage Flooring at Costco

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:38 PM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inexpensive Garage Flooring at Costco

I've been on the fence about getting something to cover the concrete on my garage floor, but I didn't want to use the paint on products. It seems that most of the tile/vinyl products cost at least $2.50 per foot, before shipping. Costco is now offering in-store BLT Roll-Out Garage Flooring at $1.28 per foot. A 7.5x17 foot (127.5 sq. feet) roll is $180, weighing 110 pounds. Though not as attractive as the checkerboard pattern of the tiles, this product provides the same resistance to automotive fluids and high tire temps, at half the price. It is slate grey with a diamond tread pattern, 75 mil base thickness commercial grade. Just a heads-up for anyone else out there looking for an inexpensive solution to garage flooring.
Mark

p.s. Thanks for helping me with my math epj993!

Last edited by Svaha; 01-30-2007 at 03:06 PM. Reason: wrong info
Old 01-30-2007, 02:43 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark, my math shows 7.5' x 17' = 127.5 sq ft = $1.41 sq ft ($180/127.5). Am I missing something here?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:54 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It is what I use, although I bought it from BLT (yummy....BLT ) in a 10' width and a custom 34' length to cover my entire garage with two pieces. It was delivered to my home from Colorado on a semi.

More before/after pictures: http://www.pbase.com/jlsphoto/garage_before_after

Old 01-30-2007, 02:56 PM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jeff, how's that flooring holding up? I like the fact that it's continuous / nearly seamless. Also - who bought your cab?

Sorry for the hijack...
Old 01-30-2007, 03:01 PM
Svaha
Pro

You are correct sir, sorry for the misinformation. I must have remembered what the display had written in error. Two of these mats placed beside each other do cover nearly my entire suburban tract 2-door garage floor, more than enough room to park two cars. Still this is an inexpensive solution compared to other non-painted flooring. I'll edit the wrong info above. Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-30-2007, 03:04 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

The flooring holds up very well.

Water drainage is fair in that it drains off the mats due to the slope of the cement. However, the mat that is deeper in the garage overlaps the one nearest the doors by a 1 1/2". At that overlap, the slope is not enough to completely drain the water that collects right at the overlap (upstream side). If there is enough water, it will flow over the overlap, but a little bit will remain. I have found that I need to take a broom every once in a while to broom the water past the overlap.

But like I said, the flooring is hold up very well to salty snow, oil, fluids, etc. I have a snowblower sitting on an extra piece of the flooring. It dripped oil for a while that collected on the extra piece of flooring. I was lazy and didn't get to wipe it up for about 2 months, which I had no problem doing. In the Spring, it wash right off the extra piece.

I clean it by wetting down the floor with a hose. I then take an entire bottle of Armstrong no wax floor cleaner and pour it around the floor. With a sturdy broom, I go over it a couple times agitating the mixture. I then hose it out and I'm done.

One other thing to mention--I love how it is NOT slippery with water/moisture on it. With snow melting, etc., I have always had sure footing. Much better than many epoxy systems without pumice.

I have also used a floor jack and jack stands to lift the 993 and the flooring withstood it.

So far, so good, except for the slight pooling of water.

A friend of a Canadian Rennlister bought the car last weekend. I told him he has to join!
Old 01-30-2007, 05:13 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Jeff...what's BLT?
Old 01-30-2007, 05:19 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

http://www.bltllc.com/

--or--

Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato Sandwich.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:28 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone bought this stuff from Costco? Incidentally, I just bought some microfiber wash mitts (they look like microfiber strands of fat spagetti sticking out of a mitt) in orange, green, and blue that look exactly, and I mean exactly, like some I bought from Griott's Garage that I use on my car.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:09 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

FO3, the stuff from Costco is the same stuff that I just described above. I didn't actually buy at Costco, but I use that product.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:36 AM
gjtrek
Instructor

I saw this same flooring at Costco last week. It is very durable in feel, quite thick and definitely worthy of consideration.

I am still wavering over the Race Deck style poly flooring squares. Costco also has them available in limited colors.

Incidentally, does anyone have experience with this type of Race Deck flooring insofar as the flooring clattering when you walk on it or being loose to the point where the decking needs glueing or some type of underlayment to deaden the clatter sound? Also, I've heard it has a propensity to buckle or maybe curl up if exposed to high temperture days with direct sunlite. Any comments on this issue?

Thanks in advance for the comments. Regards, Gary
Old 01-31-2007, 11:54 AM
Svaha
Pro

Yeah, I wondered about the Race Deck solution too. It looks really cool. The fact that each single square foot of the flooring is a separate piece seems like a negative to me. Also, it has to be secured to the floor. With the BLT mat from Costco there are no edges anywhere that might see use, and the mat does not need to be secured to the floor. Along with the inexpensive price it was a no brainer for me.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Mike A.
Instructor

Svaha,
Race Deck tiles snap together, there's no discernible gap between them. Also, they are not secured to the floor in anyway except by gravity.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:44 PM
Svaha
Pro

Are they the same as a solid sheet, then? No oil or fluids could penetrate to the floor?
Old 01-31-2007, 06:49 PM
Travis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Same as Jeff on the flooring. Went with the coin pattern on the thicker version. It was about $1k to do the garage floor. (24X22)

Almost a year now and the mat has held up well to suspension installs, maintenance for the fleet, and of course the bicycles.

There are tire spots where the cars are parked. Biggest thing that bothers me is the gap between the two mats. Need to fix this.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Garage Flooring at Costco