Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the deal with black '95 coupes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:16 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What's the deal with black '95 coupes?

A guy in San Diego has been trying to sell one with 29K miles for at least 3 or 4 months ($37K). Does anyone know this car?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=105

Here's another in So Cal (via Vegas and LA). It's at a "used car lot," but I checked it out briefly and it has many receipts since new:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=18

A CarFax may shed light on these particular examples, but some just seem to sit and sit on the market. All things being equal, we all know that the '96-'98s are in slightly stronger demand. I know that black had relatively high production numbers, so there must be a supply and demand factor at work, but what's the deal with black '95 coupes?

Conversely, when a low mile blue one comes on the market, it gets snatched up very quickly. To a lesser extent, this seems to be true for Arctic and the silvers, and an even lesser extent Guards. Hmmm....
Old 01-29-2007, 09:08 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Well, midnight blue pearl metallic is the king of 993 colors! Heck, i knew I could successfully talk the wife into into the necessity of two p-cars by promising to find a midnight blue 993.

Blue Porsches. Because you won't have to get divorced?

(In her defense, Mindy picked the first Pcar while I chose the color)

Last edited by mhm993; 01-29-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:10 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

NO NO NO....everyone knows the black cars were the slowest performing 993's..... white cars had better performance, on account of... (My Blue Heaven reference)..... the fact that the mechanics had to be even MORE meticulous so as not to dirty up or ruin the perfect WHITE paint!

(with the black cars...it is obvious...the mechanics didnt worry as much about getting the cars dirty, and just shoved the engine and mechanicals in as quickly as possible)

Old 01-29-2007, 09:30 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

My guess is basket handle on '95s and, at least in Texas, no one wants to get into a black car in the Texas summer heat. Also, they look beautiful when all shined up, but difficult to keep that way. IMHO.

Dan
Old 01-29-2007, 10:09 PM
hidden impact
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcdude68
A guy in San Diego has been trying to sell one with 29K miles for at least 3 or 4 months ($37K). Does anyone know this car?

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=105
i know the car. it's pretty clean, but he wants $$$$ and is sitting on it.

pm me if you want more details.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Svaha
Pro

While I searched high and low to find my 993 in midnight blue pearl metallic (the only color my wife wanted to see), it is no easier to care for than black. Having said that, I have yet to see another color 993 that appeals to me more. When freshly detailed midnight blue will knock your socks off.
Mark
Old 01-29-2007, 10:36 PM
schred
Racer

I agree that the midnight blue metallic is just as hard as black to keep clean, but it is my second favorite 993 color. When I was shopping I really had my heart set on Riviera blue with a black interior. After almost 2 years , I gave up and went with my second choice. Check out the color combo on my 968, unusual, but it really stands out in person.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2007, 11:26 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't buy it. Black 95's and 96's were flying off of the market near asking price when I was shopping here in FL. I ended up with an aventurine car - guess I'm glad since it's no hassle to keep it looking nice.

The problem with that car is that, despite the mileage, someone's got to pay 37K for an 11 year old car that sold for about 65K to begin with. Doesn't sound reasonable...
Old 01-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Svaha
Pro

The 993 market is not reasonable. It is purely emotional. However, despite buying an 11 year old car for half its new worth, I now wear a grin that stretches from ear to ear. Also, you can turn around and sell that car for near what you bought it for if mileage isn't piled on. Personally, I hope to enjoy this car for years to come.
Mark
Old 01-30-2007, 02:07 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
Well, midnight blue pearl metallic is the king of 993 colors! Heck, i knew I could successfully talk the wife into into the necessity of two p-cars by promising to find a midnight blue 993.

Blue Porsches. Because you won't have to get divorced?

(In her defense, Mindy picked the first Pcar while I chose the color)
How about this one?

95 Midnight Blue
Old 01-30-2007, 11:06 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by schred
I agree that the midnight blue metallic is just as hard as black to keep clean, but it is my second favorite 993 color. When I was shopping I really had my heart set on Riviera blue with a black interior. After almost 2 years , I gave up and went with my second choice. Check out the color combo on my 968, unusual, but it really stands out in person.

I agree your 993 is a fantastic looking car and Midnight blue is my second favorite color. I miss having seat time in it and so does Evan.

Your 968 is a very rare color combo. I like Cobalt best of all colors, I have never seen any Cobalt colored cars with black interiors other than mine, they all seem to have light gray or gray interiors. Your black/white is a first.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:35 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97_993C2
My guess is basket handle on '95s and, at least in Texas, no one wants to get into a black car in the Texas summer heat. Also, they look beautiful when all shined up, but difficult to keep that way. IMHO.

Dan
No basket handle, no problems with heat in Utah with my 95.

Back in black all the way!
Old 01-30-2007, 02:05 PM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an interesting e-mail exchange with the seller of a black/black '95 that may explain why many of them seem to be on the market for a while. I told him that the car seemed priced towards the high end of the spectrum given the miles and options and politely asked if he had any flexibility. As a data point I included a link to another, similarly priced car ($1k more) that I was considering that had far fewer miles, PSS9's, a number of other mods, and was red. His response was enlightening:

"it's comparing apples to oranges. i'm a pca member and if my car had 39k miles i'be asking 40+, it's because guards red is a super weak color. nobody wants which is why it is priced that way. black/black commands the most amount of money and it's not even arguable. but thanks for your time."

-John
Old 01-30-2007, 02:16 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Big exchange on pricing of 993s over the last couple of days on the email list. Concensus is that the $37k is pretty high for a 993.
You may wabt to revisit the relative values of the 1995 model year versus the later years; no OBDII is now seen as an advantage that can outweigh the 1996 and later OBDII CEL problem.
Just a thought. Hope it helps.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:24 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCh
I had an interesting e-mail exchange with the seller of a black/black '95 that may explain why many of them seem to be on the market for a while. I told him that the car seemed priced towards the high end of the spectrum given the miles and options and politely asked if he had any flexibility. As a data point I included a link to another, similarly priced car ($1k more) that I was considering that had far fewer miles, PSS9's, a number of other mods, and was red. His response was enlightening:

"it's comparing apples to oranges. i'm a pca member and if my car had 39k miles i'be asking 40+, it's because guards red is a super weak color. nobody wants which is why it is priced that way. black/black commands the most amount of money and it's not even arguable. but thanks for your time."

-John
Being a recent seller, I can tell you that the comments of one seller are hardly representative of black '95 coupe owners in general.

Quick Reply: What's the deal with black '95 coupes?