Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to retro fit a 993 Targa roof to a 993 Cabriolet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 03:09 PM
Thomas993
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it possible to retro fit a 993 Targa roof to a 993 Cabriolet?

Can you fit a Targa glass roof on a cabriolet ?

Basically, is the windscreen frame the same on both cars, the doors and sidewindows the same, as well as the fasteners in the back. Has this been done before or am i the first ?

Last summer my '97 Targa was totaled, i did the mistake of leting a friend drive it and he had an accident. The Targa roof is still intact (strangely enough, the car did a 360), so i have all the parts.

Right now it is very hard to find a black Targa with black interior and a manual tranny in europe. But there a lot of cabriolets for sale, and they are cheaper than a standard coupe.

To answer the next obvious question: Yes i do prefer the Targa over the cabriolet. The coupe will always be the best looking 993, but i just love the glass roof.

Last edited by Thomas993; 01-30-2007 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:37 AM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep me in the loop here. it'd be cool if you can make it a removal hard top.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:01 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas993
I think even thinking about it is nuts
Old 02-04-2007, 01:19 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thomas, Deep pockets ($$) allow the retro of anything under the sun. Finding good talent will be the key. (fit,finish,air and water leaks) If you have doubt come to our SEMA show in Vegas and see what skilled craftsmen do with steel, aluminum and carbon fiber.

Good luck! Post pics if you follow thru with it.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Hmm, I disagree...I think the Targe looks better because of the absolute reflective black glass top...IMHO! Ilike the rear quarter windows with their teardrop shape better too....god I better put my flame suit on...

My following opinions come some someone who has removed his own top and reinstalled a brand new one...me.

The windshield frame is NOT the same...the Targa windshield frame has two tabs for holding down the top as well as threaded mounting holes for the top. The frame has indendatios that match the black rails of the Targa top. The part numbers are different (the glass is the same though). You would have to either put a Targa frame on or do lots of mods. The frame also has holders for the front corner drains (did you know your top drains through the doors seals?). Not sure if the cab has that but it sure looks different on the ones I have seen. If they are basically the same with different part numbers that would be something to know. Do you have picts of the Cab frame?

Other changes include the door glass which are likely not the same as the cab part numbers are different and the door seals are definitely different (and about $260 each), there are mounting bolts on both the rear shelf and the front of the quarter windows. Not sure how those line up with the cab. The top of the rear quarter panels looks the same but I am not totally sure. You also need the wiring harnesses and mounts for the controller which is mounted behind the rear seats. Interior trim is different as well but you likely have the right trim if you have a smashed Targa.

Have you removed the roof from your old Targa? That is a challenge itself and almost impossible without scratching paint, etc.

If you have an intact top than its certainly doable but I doubt if makes any financial sense. The seals you will need are wickedly expensive so be prepared for that.

I would sell the top on Ebay (I did that and bought a two post lift in exhange, funnily enough a guy in Belgium bought the top), sell your car and buy a good example of a Targa...that way you will retain more resell value and avoid a lot of trouble. Can you import from the US if you can't find one?...that might work better.

Yes its doable but the cost would be quite high. If you attempt it please post...it would be quite interesting!!

Cheers,

Mike

Originally Posted by Thomas993

Basically, is the windscreen frame the same on both cars, the doors and sidewindows the same, as well as the fasteners in the back. Has this been done before or am i the first ?

Last summer my '97 Targa was totaled, i did the mistake of leting a friend drive it and he had an accident. The Targa roof is still intact (strangely enough, the car did a 360), so i have all the parts.

Right now it is very hard to find a black Targa with black interior and a manual tranny in europe. But there a lot of cabriolets for sale, and they are cheaper than a standard coupe.

To answer the next obvious question: Yes i do prefer the Targa over the cabriolet. The coupe will always be the best looking 993, but i just love the glass roof.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to retro fit a 993 Targa roof to a 993 Cabriolet?