Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OT: so it obviously isn't a 993 but will be my 'budget' track car this year...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 05:41 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric,
I agree that everyone (even with the same car) will get different results. I guess my point is that I have found that once I went from de to TT to race that the cost containment changed. When you are looking for that last tenth of a second per lap or that last bit of exit speed to pass someone you look deeper into the car and driver. Tires included. I used to get more cycles(in the 30's, but when I put a limited slip in (Joe Paluch "M758" doesn't run an lsd right now) the life shortened significantly. I might have gotten a bit pickier about the tires as well. You end up dialing in everything to the n'th degree. Also, Joe might be a smoother driver than I and runs most of his season on different tracks.

There always needs to be a fair amount of cusion in the racing budget.

DE, TT, and racing are all a blast and I still pinch myself that I can do it but it is $$$$ no matter what kind of "budget" race car we have. Tires are a significant cost and the Toyo's seem to be one of the most economical.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:33 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

well, eventually I can report back if this car cost me more or less or the same in track supplies (brakes and tires anyway)..

...but the other stuff I know is cheaper (like if I need a replacment engine or trans for example)
Old 01-21-2007, 02:23 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ceboyd
...but the other stuff I know is cheaper (like if I need a replacment engine or trans for example)
Just depends on how often.

I would love to club race but just cannot justify it due to logistical reasons of having to have a tow vehicle and trailer, then a place to keep it. Damn, damn, damn.

If I did, I would more than likely race a less expensive car, much like you are doing!! I think the fun and excitement factor would be near the same whichever car one chooses to race. Keep us up to date on your progress!!
Old 01-21-2007, 04:18 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i do NOT have a tow vehicle, trailer OR garage to park this new car. it stays on the street... and gets driven to/from events... fortunately, it blends in nicely parked on the street..
Old 01-22-2007, 04:10 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris, you have a PM
Old 01-22-2007, 04:39 PM
David '96 993
Pro

Chris and Chris,
I too have parking issues and a trailer was not an option. My first year I drove my car to events as it was street legal. After getting stranded at the track (mechanical failure) I explored some other options. Now, for the last two years I have flat towed the car. This year I am trying a different route. I now drive a tow vehicle to work (daily driver) and rent a trailer. Trailering is a safer option than flat tow. Renting a trailer is significantly less than paying for storage in my area. A few of the races are a long way and driving a race car (and the potential broken car) is pretty rough.

Just a couple of options.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:22 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Chris, you have a PM

you must have meant the other chris.. because I don't see a PM
Old 01-22-2007, 06:04 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry Chris, I think I sent you a message via email. You should now hava a PM.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

the Dodge boys ran an SRT-4 in the 2003 One Lap - it was a stage 1 package - hella fast, beat most of the $$ cars for a spot in the top 10 overall.
the thing would shoot out 4 foot flames on overrun - enjoy
Old 01-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris walrod

I would love to club race but just cannot justify it due to logistical reasons of having to have a tow vehicle and trailer, then a place to keep it. Damn, damn, damn.
This is the key reason why I don't race anymore. You need a trailer, a truck of some sort, and a place to keep them. I remember getting 50 miles out of town on the way to Mid-Ohio once when the trans on my Dodge van started slipping. Back to the shop, beg a racing friend to lend a van, move all the spares over to the 2nd van. Then during the race I hit an oil slick while running 3rd and shortened the car by a foot, and stretched my back by an inch.

AND I remember standing in the alley outside my shop, just after a rainstorm, arc-welding my trailer back togethter so I could tow 9 hours to the SCCA runoffs at Road Atlanta.

AND I remember seeing flying squirrels and all kinds of other weird **** that wasn't really there while I drove alone, exhausted, thru the night.

AND I remember wondering why I was so far down on power and then coming back from the runoffs, dissassembling the engine and finding three broken piston rings.

(OK maybe there's more than one reason I don't race any more....)

hmmmm.....but now I'm much smarter and richer so I would never have these types of problems again, right....

Old 01-22-2007, 07:30 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Sorry Chris, I think I sent you a message via email. You should now hava a PM.

I still don't see a PM

nothing in email either
Old 01-22-2007, 07:31 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cupcar#12
the Dodge boys ran an SRT-4 in the 2003 One Lap - it was a stage 1 package - hella fast, beat most of the $$ cars for a spot in the top 10 overall.
the thing would shoot out 4 foot flames on overrun - enjoy
great to hear.. because I was contemplating stage 1 (don't need stage 2 or 3 IMHO)
Old 01-22-2007, 07:48 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,491 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
On the cost issue, tires, pads and rotors aren't that huge of a cost factor anyway. For me, they're only $180 of the average $580 total cost of a DE day, i.e. 30%. So that 30% might be arguably reduced a bit, but the other 70% (hotels, fuel to get there, fuel when driving, & event fees) won't change much.

But getting a cheaper car to go racing certainly does make sense. I don't think I could "go all the way" in my 993 either.

p.s. sorry everybody for posting DE costs. I know nobody wants to think about that!!
i read several posts on this thread in regard to DE cost. i think one thing that posters missed is the frequency of your track days. now if you did 2-3 days, there is no savings going from 993 to another cheaper/slower track car, that is true. now if you run 35+ days at 5-6000 track miles, it IS A HUGE deal. it took almost $16k to run my GT3 in 2005. that's ONLY including tire/pads/rotors and NOTHING else (not inc. oil, brk fluids, maintenance etc) and i dont even race. no trailer cost, no hotel cost, no track fees, nothing JUST tire/pads/rotor cost.

wow you get a lot of mileage on your tires.
with mpsc, 800 track miles, i feel the grip just not the same, still driveable, but really not as grippy anymore.

on RA1's 1000 miles tops (that's 4.5days for me), tires look like slicks with cords showing in middle 1/3 of the thread.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:40 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ceboyd
I still don't see a PM

nothing in email either

o.k. saw it now and responded.. my private message meter just kept showing 0 unread so I didn't think to click into my PMs...
Old 01-23-2007, 11:44 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
...wow you get a lot of mileage on your tires.
...on RA1's 1000 miles tops (that's 4.5days for me), tires look like slicks with cords showing in middle 1/3 of the thread.
Then you're getting more life on RA1's than me! I'm getting 30 sessions on the rears, which at 25 miles/session comes to 750 miles life (7.5 days for me). Not sure how you're able to drive 200+ miles in one track day...you must be *really* fast.

Quick Reply: OT: so it obviously isn't a 993 but will be my 'budget' track car this year...