Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That "Perfect Sebring lap for a 993" video.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 04:50 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Don't forget he's on PSS9s, he would gain a few seconds going to Motons. ....
Agreed.

... The motor is also a stock '95. ....
Hmmm. Are suggesting that pca d-stock racers are NOT running stock motors? That couldn't happen.

.... So all said and done, I'm guessing Petu is right near the top of the pack.
Tough call. Add a couple sec for weight, subtract a couple for suspension and tires. Still probably hard to get on the podium due to other cars that are running in D. That time would have qualified 5th out of 11 cars last year. This is the fault of PCA's car classifications, of course, and NOT Petu's driving, which is clearly top notch.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

From what I've seen, many of the go-fast bits in PCA stock cars are in the tranny and not the motor. Your region may vary.

It's always interesting to see a PCA stock race car that is then sold to a Rennlister who advertises some of the, um, liberal mods that reside in the car.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:57 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great video. I just watched it 3 times....
chuck
Old 01-17-2007, 12:11 AM
ruffy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aweinspiring stuff
thanks finn
Old 01-17-2007, 09:10 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Yeah, I was just noticing that you were around 2:30. That's a great lap there. You'd probably lose 1-2 secs getting up to weight (+160 lbs) but you could make that up I'm sure. Great lap! Too bad the PCA club racing rules work against 993's else you'd get on the podium with drives like that.
Don't forget he's on PSS9s, he would gain a few seconds going to Motons. The motor is also a stock '95. And Hoosiers would be worth a bit of time also. So all said and done, I'm guessing Petu is right near the top of the pack.
Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
From what I've seen, many of the go-fast bits in PCA stock cars are in the tranny and not the motor. Your region may vary.

It's always interesting to see a PCA stock race car that is then sold to a Rennlister who advertises some of the, um, liberal mods that reside in the car.
That issue of not being able to run as RS with stock (lower hp..) engine is basically why I'm not club racing. I think with stock weight though if I'd spend money on Motons, slicks & tranny one can be pretty competitive with 993 though. But the problem is I haven't found sponsors for those items yet!

Everyone, thanks for nice comments!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:39 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here are my thoughts....Finn is obviously a very good driver.

As far as mods/weight vs. time here is what I have experienced:

-a passenger is usually .75-2.0 seconds depending on weight. I would guess 160 lbs would be around a second.

-I just went from PSS9s to JRZs in Sept. and so far have gained .10 of a second. This is after my shop owner who is very fast and experienced has driven the car and set it up twice and I have experimented with probably around 70? combinations of nitrogen, sways, rebound and compression. Everything else has remained constant including my RA-1s. IIRC Ronnie S (Rocketman), who is very, very fast (and experienced) tried double adjustable shocks a while back and was unable improve on his non-adjustable shocks (cup shocks probably). I did a lot of research before I bought the JRZ and usually saw a consensus of 2-4 seconds. I was just hoping for 1. That may happen still, but I doubt it...and by the time it does happen it could be from improvement in my driving. If you are getting the most of your PSS9s like I think I was, you may not see the improvement you are hoping for.

IIRC, Finn was running 710s which from what I have read on other forums (Corvette) only a few tenths off the pace of the Hoosier R6. If they were RA-1s then that will be a second or two.

I see the net result of adding weight and going to Motons/JRZs and Hoosiers as a loss of around a second....but just my opinion from my recent experience.

Speaking of cheating, check out this RSA in Canada which is advertised in the PCA classifieds as "PCA Legal"...this is the link from the ad: http://www.silverlakemotorsports.net/jc87930/RSA/

Anyway, Finn, great driving!
Old 01-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice and smooth Finn. Well done.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Computer help needed - cannot view the video

I followed the link to update my Quicktime to version 7.1.3 (without iTunes), for my old version would play the audio .... and some contorted reverse colour image of the video.
Now, when browsing for the file and clicking play on the newly installed Quicktime version ( downloaded the 993 vid to 'My Videos'), all I get is a weak audio track - and no video

Any suggestions as to how to correct this???
Old 01-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Garth,

I had issues, too, and had to run Quicktime and then open up the vid file through Quicktime. It finally played. I'm not sure why it didn't open up with Quicktime since I've had no other issues with mpg files.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:43 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
That issue of not being able to run as RS with stock (lower hp..) engine is basically why I'm not club racing. I think with stock weight though if I'd spend money on Motons, slicks & tranny one can be pretty competitive with 993 though. But the problem is I haven't found sponsors for those items yet!

Everyone, thanks for nice comments!
Finn,
Nice drive. I raced at Sebring for the first time last year and missed most of the practice due to a broken gas pedal. I wish I would have had your video to prepare for qualifying.

The PCA rule that keeps you from running your car as an RS doesn't seem to make sense on the surface but remember this is a stock series and they are just trying to keep the cars as close to a factory car as possible. Besides, you would never be competitive in C without doing the full conversion anyway.

I think Forklift is about right. The 710s are fast and the PSS9s aren't that big of a handycap at Sebring where a softer setup makes sense. You could probably add a second and have a pretty good idea where you would fit in with the D racers. You also have to factor how much time you have a Sebring vs the guys/gals you are comparing your times to.

Either way, clearly you can really drive a car. Find a racecar and come play with us.
Jim
Old 01-17-2007, 08:54 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finn,

Great video and great track! Next best thing to being there.
Only been to Sebring twice for DE's but can't wait to get back.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:55 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jim & Jim,

Re: 710s. Although I have no experience on Hoosiers since I've never had them (I had smaller MPSCs before) I agree, they're very fast tyres.

I had different sizes from before but these tyres & sizes (245 & 285) were really well balanced. I could go into turns and if something, I'd end up with a small, almost four wheel drift so it gave a lot of confidence to go in fast (before with Michelins I had oversteer which I prefer but you had to be more careful).
Maybe little too much understeer tendency for my taste but overall I thin they're great.

Can't comment on suspension, you're probably right since as you said, Sebring is bumpy.

I know for sure I can improve two seconds "easily".

By "easily" I mean the potential (of car) is there, I'm just good enough to "take" it yet (line here and there, braking & especially turn in pretty much everywhere etc.), this was my 5th day at Sebring so I don't have too many miles there and it's always usually almost a year between the events (which is too long) so I have plenty of learning to do. I appreciate all the comments, every time I've posted a video I've learned something from someone. Hopefully next month (48 hors) I can get lot of people riding with me (JimB, you're coming, right?).

Once I get down to 2.26-2.27 range, I can start thinking club racing seriously.

Thanks again to everyone.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:17 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 798 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Lap time was 2.29.93 , that's why it's "perfect".
My car is pretty light, about 2860 with gas. It's too light for club racing but on the other hand, suspension, tranny and engine are the big ones where I give to those in club racing. My time fairs well with D or C class 993s but I have a lot to imrpove to get down to 26s... I'm not giving up though!
You don't need to run 26s. Last year, Bill Martin only ran one 26. He did run a bunch of 27s. I only ran a few 27s & 28s. No one else broke 28. Well, Van Zelst did but his car always breaks (944 turbo cup). If you can run consistently in the 29 +/- range, you'll be in the top 3. Plus, Bill, Terry Heath and I all moved out of D, so that leaves ErnieJ, Al Noveck and Bob DiMarco as the main guys you'd need to contend with.

I'll see if I can find my Sebring 2:27 lap from the enduro for comparison (amazing, it was on lap #22!).
Old 01-18-2007, 12:20 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The question remains, Finn... will you race your beautiful 993? Or will you get a separate racecar? Perhaps too early to tell.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:46 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Finn,
If it was only your fifth track day at Sebring then that was even better. Excellent. I won't be in Sebring for the club race but may be there for the 12 hour doing a support race in a Panoz GTS if a bunch of stuff works out. Maybe we can grab a beer. I'd love to ride with you sometime though.

FWIW I wouldn't race the 993. Mark wouldn't agree but I think 993s are too pretty to wreck and too slow to race. (sorry but I couldn't stop in without taking a shot at the air cooled crowd. )
Jim

Quick Reply: That "Perfect Sebring lap for a 993" video.