Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Failed SAI flush. No longer impressed, or amused with Porsche.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Failed SAI flush. No longer impressed, or amused with Porsche.

i don't, as a general rule, get terribly fired up about the cost and time demanded to maintain the 911. performance machines, in all their different forms, require attention. tight tolerences, streamlined design, lightweight materials. they're brilliant!

but good god, porsche! this SAI port bull**** is a real pain in the dick. bad, bad, bad.

i got the car back from a 4 day maintanence visit which included 7 hours labor to 'flush' the passages and replace the check valve. i got all of 20 miles driving out of it before that pretty orange light reminded me why anger management is critical.

so, to my shop: thanks for nothing. (though i do not blame you. A for effort)
to porsche: i'm failing to find to humor in it all.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:38 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Take it back to whomever charged you 7 hours of labor without acceptable results.

"A for effort" is worthless when they charge your for performing a service.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:42 AM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A flush done right will not result in another CEL...what code is it reporting?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 98993c2s
A flush done right will not result in another CEL...what code is it reporting?
really? you think i have a leg to stand on? i just assumed it was my risk. i didn't plug the reader in yet. i assume it has thrown the same code it has for the last 3 months.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

As much as I hear about this issue how come Porsche did not do a recall or redesign? Is this something that just happens because alot of cars sit and have low miles or was this happening from the beginning? 96 on I should say.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:19 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

It can happen to all of them but only 1996-on have an idiot light and OBD-II software.

Nobody wants this issue but I have got more important things to worry about in my daily grind.

Edit: I am not minimizing your issues/concerns, just tossing out my opinion that the 993 is absolutely worth the hassle of the SAI issue.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:19 PM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Has your guy done an SAI flush before? My local mechanic (who was an early pioneer of the process) claims he's never failed to clear the problem...https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...4&postcount=19
Old 01-11-2007, 12:28 PM
David in Chicago
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike:

Which shop did this for you? I ask because (obviously) I'm in Chicago and afraid that this may be in my future too. Please keep us posted.

Regards to all.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:43 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes if the rubber tubing "at the back" isn't put on or RE-secured properly it can cause the CEL to come back on. Best get a code-scanner to check THIS particular CEL-code (in case it's 'different').

If it's the same or 'similar' then first get them to RE-CHECK all the plumbing at the back.

Also, unfortunately, now that you're going to have a CEL 'cleared' by scanner -- all your readiness monitors will take their sweet time in resetting themselves. So, hopefully you do NOT have to have an emissions/smog check in the next wee while (or the state of TX doesn't require a smog check.)

Gerry
Old 01-11-2007, 01:15 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well Mike, can't argue with how you feel because I know what its like to spend alot of money to fix something and wind up with the same problem you just paid to fix. Had a 928 with what sounded like one bad lifter. Had a shop hunt down which one first then replace that bank of lifters. About $1200+ later same noise. In your case you may have some recourse if the shop didn't specify in writing that they may not be able to resolve the issue. I understand if this is the only place you take your car and you want to retain a relationship there but thats a whole lotta cash to part with and not get results. BTW labor is about $110 an hour in Santa Barbara so I don't know what rate you paid but I suspect it could've been worse. I'd look for the easy answers first like whats being suggested regarding loose hoses etc etc but if that doesn't work I think these guys should at very least discount the labor and refund some of your money. If that doesn't work I wonder if you can at least get the car to pass smog with a referee and evidence of how much $$$ you spent trying to resolve the issue.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
I think these guys should at very least discount the labor and refund some of your money. If that doesn't work I wonder if you can at least get the car to pass smog with a referee and evidence of how much $$$ you spent trying to resolve the issue.
midwest eurosport are the folks who maintain my car. they're good guys, no doubt. i'm actually pretty confident they will work with me. perhaps a credit/discount. my concern before the procedure was: do i spend money on labor to give it a go, or do i just wait until the motor is ready for a valve job and top end? i voted for waiting, but my tech was pretty confident and said the procedure usually works. appearently i'm special.

i don't have much of a beef with the shop. they will play.

i am frustrated with the design. it was remarked earlier in this post that what is good about the 993 outweighs its negatives. well, i kind of agree. but not really. not today, anyway.

i'll let you know how it's resolved.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:26 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Be sure and check the code. My friend Pguy, did the flush just as a precautionary measure (he was NOT getting a CEL light). After completing the cleanout , during his test drive, the CEL came on for the SAI error. It turned out the pigtail, rubber tubing on the back of the SAI valve had come loose.

Hand in there, it WILL be worth it.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:03 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is a pic of the hose(taken with a mirror). Thanks, Pguy!
This will give you same error as clogged ports.
Attached Images  
Old 01-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Svaha
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good information, and thanks for that picture.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Svaha
Good information, and thanks for that picture.
x2

Quick Reply: Failed SAI flush. No longer impressed, or amused with Porsche.