Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Should it cost $350-400 in labor to install a MY02 Shifter and alum emergency brake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:48 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Should it cost $350-400 in labor to install a MY02 Shifter and alum emergency brake?

I finally went to my independent Porsche mechanic today for my appt to install the MY 02 leather shifter and emerg brake that I got from Gert recently. I took the energy and effort to print the install info from the web (P-car.com and Gert's site) for him to use. When I got there he said that after looking at the emergency brake he'd have to remove the front seat and he didn't have the time to do it today, even though I had waited 2 weeks for this appointment and took off work to have it done. "Remove the front seat" I asked? He said that in order not to scratch the center consol he'd have to remove the seat. I told him that the install instructions didn't call for that and would he like to look at them. He replied that he had been a Porsche mechanic for 30 years and didn't need the instructions. Nice attitude.

He added that if it was so easy to install, how come I couldn't get anyone else to install it for me? "Huh?" I thought as I sat there, feeling rather degraded and stupid. He said condescendingly that if the internet could install it for me, then why didn't I just go that route? "Huh?" I thought again.

I asked him about how much it would cost when I came back in 2 weeks for him to do them both together and he said $350 to $400 in labor. That seemed like an awful lot, but if it would really take 3+ hours... then maybe that's just what it is. Or is it? It doesn't look like it according to the instructions, but... I'm not doing it myself.

I'm at the point now that I just don't want to go back there for anything. He said he'd like to open up a shop in 2 years or so that's just for racing, as the little stuff he has to do for his current customers like brake jobs and other small items, while lucrative jobs, aren't worth his time for the pain in the a** some customers can be about their cars. "Huh?" I thought again but just laughed along with him that some customers can be difficult (I didn't feel like I was ever one of them though). He added that he won't make as much money when he's just dealing with people on racing items and racing upgrades, but at least these people know just want they want and don't whine as much.

Uh, maybe it's time to find a new shop. I had the same problem at my last shop in that the owner became crotchety and had a bad attitude as time wore on. He didn't appreciate my business anymore either and seemed angry much of the time. In fact, this current guy I'm using used to work for him and split off about 4 years ago to open up his own shop. It's SO convenient too, about 1.5 miles from my company. Too bad he's become so seemingly difficult to deal with, or am I just being difficult?

I called a company that one of you gents referred me to that's an hour from my house by Dulles Airport and even though I dread driving that far for car repair, I'm probably going to give them a try. http://www.funktionauto.com/
Thoughts on the price on install?

Thanks in advance,
Steve R
Old 01-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S

He added that if it was so easy to install, how come I couldn't get anyone else to install it for me? "Huh?" I thought as I sat there, feeling rather degraded and stupid. He said condescendingly that if the internet could install it for me, then why didn't I just go that route? "Huh?" I thought again.
You should have left right at that moment and never gone back. I don't know how hard it is to do the install but I am sure there are plenty of guys that could do this. Also might not have been a bad idea to find a body shop. Those guys take apart and put cars back together every day.

this guy sounded like a Grade A *******.

Edit,
I thought he did the install. My suggestion is the same though, stay away. I have often taken directions in for my mechanic and he takes them graciously. Maybe he throws them in the garbage, I don't know??
Old 01-09-2007, 12:01 AM
shuang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the install myself - wasn't very difficult at all - somebody who's been a "Porsche mechanic for 30 years" should be able to do it in way less than an hour. I definitely did not remove any seats.

Steve
Old 01-09-2007, 12:01 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

I have done this install myself. You need to find a new mechanic and fast. He is ripping you off.

Jason
Old 01-09-2007, 12:04 AM
911C2
Racer

the price you were quoted had nothng to do with the Job. He does not want the job so he trew out a number hoping you would go away. Sorry but from the story it sure looks like it. Go find another guy and dont worry about it. Enjoy your car. Drive down to TN and I'll help you put them on.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:04 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thx for the quick and informative replies. You confirmed what I've been thinking all day, not to go back there, maybe ever.

Hmmm - a body shop. That's not a bad idea. I took my car many times to Europros in Gaithersburg, and that's MUCH closer to where I work than that dreaded trip to Virginia. The thing with driving to Virginia for anything is if after I leave and drive home, if something's not quite right, it's a royal pain to drive all the way back there for them to fix it. If it was more local, like the body shop near where I work, that would be alot easier.

Steve R
Old 01-09-2007, 12:05 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. I agree, never go back. Tell everyone you know to avoid them like the plague.

I don't know what it should cost but the seat doesn't need to come out. That is just ridiculous coming from a "30 year porsche mechanic". There is more chance of scratching something taking the seat out than removing the console, which, by the way, I am not sure you even need to do. I think it can be removed by taking out the little tray... not totally certain though. Trying to picture it in my head... isn't working

If you have some basic tools you can do this yourself. Pleanty of help here on RL if you need it!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Yes, you're right. Here are the instructions and there's nothing about seat removal in there...

http://p-car.com/diy/handbrake/

If he had just looked at them he'd realize it!

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93080_inst.htm

Steve R
Old 01-09-2007, 12:12 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Yes, you're right. Here are the instructions and there's nothing about seat removal in there...

http://p-car.com/diy/handbrake/

If he had just looked at them he'd realize it!

http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93080_inst.htm

Steve R
Ah! I thought so.. you don't need to remove the console to do the ebrake handle.
Note that Robin shows a 993 console DIY also, but the ebrake DIY doesn't require the whole console to come out.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:13 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Steve,
You can do this. Seriously don't be a wuss, just do it. Just do exactly what the pictures shows and you will be fine. Everyone has to have a first DIY, make this yours.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Steve,

Sorry to hear that you had to put up with that jack ***.

I had my shifter installed (same as yours) at my indie and he had some trouble with getting the leather boot to fit properly... so I printed out the directions that GERT emailed me and all was good. Even with some trouble I was charged less than an hour of labor...

Good Luck.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:16 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Maybe he needs to remove the front fenders as well, and quoted accordingly -- sheesh ! What an A-hole.

I feel that he quotes based upon the labor he needs to make on every job, kinda like flat rating everything. Idiot!

For $400, it would be less expensive to drive out to SoCal for me to do it Wish you were closer.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:25 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry but unless you know this mechanic pretty well you simply insulted him. Howwould you feel if someone you didn't know did that to you?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
Sorry but unless you know this mechanic pretty well you simply insulted him. Howwould you feel if someone you didn't know did that to you?
Kim,
I think it is all in how it is approached. And a mechanic should also be willing to take these comments in stride. It would be like telling your set up guy how your SM was feeling and him basically telling you to shut up and let him align the car. (or something like that).

In my business I deal with that everyday, I take it in stride and either confirm or refute what they have heard and explain why.

I approach it jokingly with my mechanic and say something like " I know you love these internet directions so I left you some" He would shake his head but later on admit they were a good review course, etc. BTW, this was on my BMW not my Porsche.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:37 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeap do it yourself Steve. Especially the shift **** , even a clutch like me could not mess it up... Its super easy.

Quick Reply: Should it cost $350-400 in labor to install a MY02 Shifter and alum emergency brake?