Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should it cost $350-400 in labor to install a MY02 Shifter and alum emergency brake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:04 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
"Steve,

The shifter looks very simple and the parking brake handle, not much harder. I would estimate between 2 to 3 hours @ $98 per hour. Let me know when you would like to schedule some time to come in. Thanks!!"
Very nice, but clearly they have never done this before. So if they have never removed a shifter or parking brake handle on a 993/964 I would be a little concerned.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 441 Posts

Thanks Viperbob. Their response led me to the same conclusion... I'm hoping to find a generous, local Rennlister to help me on a slow Saturday then. Maybe I'll make a new friend in the area and treat them to a nice meal as well.

Steve R
Old 01-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Steve:

I have done this job numerous times. It is probably easier than hood/decklid shock DIY. If you can turn a screwdriver you can do this. I wish I were in MD I would do it for you, takes about an hour. The grill wouldn't even get warmed up by the time we were finished.

Mike
Old 01-10-2007, 10:26 AM
POP993
Advanced

If you can turn a screwdriver you can do this.
Apparently I tried to remove my handbreak today and could not turn the adjusting nuts!!! I have to say the process is rather simple but the mechanics at Porsche sure have put together these cars very well... after an hour or so of my own labor I still can't take it apart! Wish I have better tools than the one supplied in the car as I'm not much of a DIY-er myself.

btw good luck with your car, Steve.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 441 Posts

Pop - Thanks for the reply and I feel your pain. Your experience is typical of what I deal with when trying a simple DIY on my cars. It looks simple but when I get in there to do it, some ridiculous hurdle makes it too difficult or unattainable, like your screw that won't come off. I tried to do my exhaust tips myself and I the old metal clamp screws were practically welded by age and time onto the clamp. I had to take it into my indie and even he said it was very hard to get off with all of this tools.

Steve R
Old 01-10-2007, 10:51 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

You do not remove the adjuster nuts from the u shaped cable holder. Remove the bolts holding the brake handle bracket in place, then with the pressure relieved, pull the 2 pins on the handle. One that pivots the handle in the bracket, and the one for the brake cable... Then reassemble this way with no pressure, and then stretch the bracket back in place a little and start the bolts for the bracket to the floor. Doing it this way, you would have been on your third beer before the hour came on your DIY.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:09 AM
POP993
Advanced

You do not remove the adjuster nuts from the u shaped cable holder. Remove the bolts holding the brake handle bracket in place, then with the pressure relieved, pull the 2 pins on the handle. One that pivots the handle in the bracket, and the one for the brake cable... Then reassemble this way with no pressure, and then stretch the bracket back in place a little and start the bolts for the bracket to the floor. Doing it this way, you would have been on your third beer before the hour came on your DIY.
Bob - Thanks for the insight. Will give it a try today!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by viperbob
Exactly don't mess with the adjuster nuts from the cable holder at all. Sometimes if it becomes too much of a challenge an indie may be the best route although this is pretty easy.

Mike
Old 01-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Steve,

Good Luck and I hope you will be shifting with your new shifter this weekend. I'm alot like you... we're just not wired that way. Although I like to take more risk by DIY, the problem that I have most of the time is having the right tools... You will find that having the right tools will save you half the time and half of the battle.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:24 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Air Kuul TT
Steve,

Good Luck and I hope you will be shifting with your new shifter this weekend. I'm alot like you... we're just not wired that way. Although I like to take more risk by DIY, the problem that I have most of the time is having the right tools... You will find that having the right tools will save you half the time and half of the battle.
Air Kuul TT:

I feel your pain as well on some DIY's, but this is one of the easier ones. Simple hand tools on this job. Sometimes it is better to pay someone else and just pick up the car when it's done. I can paint, but I let a pro do it because it's easier. I wish Steve was closer and I would do a freebie.

I chaged the oil on my 1st 911 (84 cab) and had no idea it held that much oil. It went all over the garage floor. What a mess. If you don't want to tackle it pay someone to do it for you and have the piece of mind

Mike
Old 01-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool My guy humors me, and I mean literally...

Guy's Independent in San Luis Obispo. I brought him some rear tie downs (towing) for the 993 suspension, gave him the instructions...I am certain he didn't need to read them. If you are in SLO County, Guy's is an incredible shop run by a guy (Guy) with racing experience...he knows his stuff.

Quick Reply: Should it cost $350-400 in labor to install a MY02 Shifter and alum emergency brake?