Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should it cost $350-400 in labor to install a MY02 Shifter and alum emergency brake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 10:09 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Ok, I am now here defending my position.

The other side of this? The mechanic's point of view?

Ok, I called the guy 2 months ago. I said I got this shifter and emerg brake and could I pay him to install them. We set up a time to do that. I walked in, I told him I had a print out from the internet if it would help him with this install. I wasn't being a jerk. I wasn't acting weird, immature, boastful, demanding, etc. I didn't have an attitude about it. I simply was there to have them put in. He said some rude things about the internet and other things in general. He took a look at the emergency brake and declared that it would take the better part of a day and I'd have to leave the car with him another day as he didn't realize it was so involved.

That was it. Other side of this? What other side... a guy treating a paying customer like he's an ignorant shuck?

Fuming,
Steve R
Is this a Gaithersburg shop?
Old 01-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

It's in Rockville, trinitony. It's VERY small.

Steve R
Old 01-09-2007, 10:15 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

It's in Rockville, trinitony. It's VERY small.

Steve R
Have you called Roger? Can't remember name of shop..the one on Snouffer...
Old 01-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

"Way to go Steve! We're all here behind you .... you can do it!"

Wait ... isn't this what goes on in AA and Weight Watcher meetings ??

Seriously, your ****e detector alarm went off correctly in the mechanics shop, and if you choose to DIY, there is a lot of experience here to back you up.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok, I am now here defending my position.

The other side of this? The mechanic's point of view?

Ok, I called the guy 2 months ago. I said I got this shifter and emerg brake and could I pay him to install them. We set up a time to do that. I walked in, I told him I had a print out from the internet if it would help him with this install. I wasn't being a jerk. I wasn't acting weird, immature, boastful, demanding, etc. I didn't have an attitude about it. I simply was there to have them put in. He said some rude things about the internet and other things in general. He took a look at the emergency brake and declared that it would take the better part of a day and I'd have to leave the car with him another day as he didn't realize it was so involved.

That was it. Other side of this? What other side... a guy treating a paying customer like he's an ignorant shmuck?

I usually joke around this guy, ask him about his family, and am generally kind.

Fuming,
Steve R
Steve, Relax, I wasn't accusing you of being a jerk. Sometimes people just don't want to do certain things, may not like their customer, too busy to take on more work, etc. etc.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Having met Steve many times, I can personally attest that he does not have an obnoxious or overbearing personality and comes across as friendly and genuine. Like many of us, he probably asked a few questions about the job and the approach. Maybe he asked too many questions, but, if this is true, did he deserve to be treated in that manner?

I'm not sure too many of us here would have simply dropped off our cars to a new shop without having a conversation with the mechanic outlining details of the work. He's a customer, and since he's paying the bills, he gets to ask the questions and should in no way have been made to feel the way he did. I have not owned Porsches for the past forty years, but in the time that I have had them, I've sometimes noticed a not insignificant amount of ego from a few mechanics, some of whom look disparagingly at "the internet" and the info that can be obtained. Usually, however, the mechanic is much nicer to new customers, familiarity perhaps breeding contempt.

Some people are just not mechanically-inclined, in the same way that some are good at math while others have strengths in verbal skills. There is a maturity in knowing what you're good at and when to hire a pro to do a job that you know you may muck up.

Steve, if you're going to attempt this yourself, why don't you PM Skip aka swftiii for help? He has excellent mechanical skills and a knack for solving any problems you may run into. He helped me install my HID's way back when.

Good luck!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, that's alot of encouragement to at least try it one more time.

Steve R
Steve,

Good luck! You can do it. I recently did the CF shift **** install a few months ago and it was pretty easy and i'm NOT a big DIY guy. My advice is to allot a generous amont of time in your schedule and take your time.

First, you need to get the boot off the console by pushing down on one side first (check the instructions on which side). The **** is merely pressure fitted and needs a seriously good pull upwards, but no way impossible (caution: don't knock yourself or the rear view mirror out when the shift **** comes off!). After that, it's a matter of putting the new one on. If it's the same '02 CF **** as mine (got from Gert), the **** will fit right on the shift lever, but the **** opening will be a little bigger than the lever. It will not fit snugly and will cause a pretty loud rattle. I taped a thin layer of tennis grip around the lever to make it thicker. I then slowly pushed the **** onto the lever and voila...no rattle and solid install.

You can definitely do it...just take your time. This is a great first DIY as there really isn't much that you can mess up.

I never thought I would be giving someone DIY help! Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2007, 12:25 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

This story is really amazing. Steve, you really should do this yourself. The shift **** takes, oh, about 4 minutes start to finish. The handbrake is a little more involved but the instructions on p-car sound right. Despite the exploded view there, you don't end up really taking much apart. I'd say maybe an hour for a totally unskilled person. Maybe 30 mins for a know-it-all jerk like that mechanic.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 400 Posts

autothority
I really liked dealing with Pitstop...they did my ppi in september and seemed very knowledgable on 993s and very professional.
they are very close to Dulles.
oh yeah, change those interior items yourself, you will experience a feeling of accomplishment everytime you shift or use the e-brake!
Old 01-09-2007, 05:32 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve, you seem like a genuinely nice guy. I totally understand the non-DIY thing, my father in-law is the same way. He's not stupid just not good at stuff like this. No big deal. He just prefers to pay professionals to do the stuff he doesn't like to do or can't do himself.

Anyhow, I know I could talk you through the shift **** over the phone... it really is easy. The eBrake would be a little more effort but still not bad if you have a couple of wrenches and a screw driver. I think Viper Bob already offered so I guess I am just making the same offer.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:07 PM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 64 Posts

Steve, a mini-project like this shifter/ e-brake install is a perfect case for:
-put a call out for a local rennlister that is comfortable doing the job
-have him show you a few of the install tricks; so if you want to take it apart next time, you know how.
-feed him a nice meal and a few beer
-kick back in the garage and BS with your new friend (add more beer)

Hope you enjoy the new shifter and brake handle when all is said and done .... you've had enough anxiety and $$ for a much larger job!

max
Old 01-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I can lend a hand if you like and I'll only charge you a few beers
Old 01-10-2007, 12:34 AM
2nd993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30 minutes the seat doesn't come out. don't like that part of the guys answer.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:59 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks for the kind words and generous offers, guys. I'm sent some PM's and will post soon what's become of this situation. It's cool to be a part of this web board sometimes... well, all the time.

By the way, this is the email I got from Funktion Auto today about doing this work. This is the place I was referred to by a gent on Rennlist a while back... I don't plan to use them to install this stuff, but may use them in the future for general service work.

"Steve,

The shifter looks very simple and the parking brake handle, not much harder. I would estimate between 2 to 3 hours @ $98 per hour. Let me know when you would like to schedule some time to come in. Thanks!!"

At least they seemed "normal"!

Steve R
Old 01-10-2007, 01:28 AM
Mc-993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve - I am in touch with your feelings about DIY. I wish you the best either way you go and please post your results and pics!!

Quick Reply: Should it cost $350-400 in labor to install a MY02 Shifter and alum emergency brake?